Home – New Forums Starting your journey eBay Tax issues with account in different name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie C
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi, I am currently selling with a pseudonym ebay account that has a different name to mine as ebay banned me unfairly many years ago. I have been selling for the past 4 months and have decided to get all my affairs in order to pay my taxes. Does my ebay name/details need to match my actual name/business name for me to be able to claim the ebay/paypal fees as a tax deduction?

I’m want to pay my owed taxes but am worried about these details not matching up, please help!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Jamie,

I don’t believe it will be a serious problem, Im assuming the ebay account eventually links back to a real Australian bank in your real name. However as with anything tax related the responsibility of doing the right thing rests squarely upon your shoulders so if in doubt give the ATO a call or better yet send them an email and have confirmation.

Steve

Jamie C
    Up

Steve,

Thanks so much for your reply, yes it does link back to a legitimate Australian Bank account in my name. I’m also worried that if I ever get Audited that all the names not matching up is going to cause a big problem, especially if the auditors contact ebay and request information about me (my personal name) which may result in my ebay account being banned once more as ebay are very unforgiving. This would be a shame as I have built up quite the little business and am quite excited about the future except for this one little issue.

ShellysBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

What about registering your pseudonym name as your business name, then I would think you would be covered.

Jamie C
    Up

Thanks Shelly, that was one of my questions for an accountant. Its a great idea!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jamie, and welcome to the forum.

It’s great to hear that you’re planning to consult your accountant on this, as our experts here are only able to provide general information in a forum environment, and your question is quite specific to your personal circumstances.

Hope it all works out for the best,
    Jayne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.