Home – New Forums Starting your journey Ebayers & Online Sellers – How Do You Handle Product Liability Insurance?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mr Lang
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Good Saturday long weekend morning to yo all :)

I’ve just started a part time business working from home where I sell imported electronics mostly on ebay and a few other places. Revenue is not high and profits are low which is fine for now as I learn and grow.

The need for product liability has just come up and I’m curious to know how experienced and successful ebayers/online sellers here handle product liability insurance.

Spoken to a few insurance brokers and as an importer, I am classed as the manufacturer and liable for any damages. Product insurance for just the electronics category is at least $3000 which is a large amount for a new start up.

My choices as I see it are currently
    -do nothing. Many smaller ebayers would be doing this but I doubt any of the larger ones would
    -pay for the product I’m currently importing, hope profit is enough to cover it and still be worth while. Add extra cover for new products as I introduce them
    -can’t think of a 3rd option

Looking forward to your feedback and suggestions

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Mr Lang,

Did these brokers just tell you $3000 or did they actually give you a quote?
    I have insured my fair share of importers and that seems quite high. Obviously every client is different but my I remember an electronics importer who paid a fraction of that amount (less than $1000 if I recall correctly). It was done through an insurer that only deals with brokers and they properly reviewed the risk before writing it.

I know of some eBay sellers that ‘just take the risk’ but as the deemed manufacturer the buck stops with you and the costs involved in defending a claim could be substantial.

Happy to discuss if you have any questions.

Regards

Mark

Mr Lang
    Up

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply.

I wrote you an email before starting this thread. Hoping you’ll have time to answer soon.

alliedib, post: 209743 wrote:
    Hi Mr Lang,

Did these brokers just tell you $3000 or did they actually give you a quote?
    I have insured my fair share of importers and that seems quite high. Obviously every client is different but my I remember an electronics importer who paid a fraction of that amount (less than $1000 if I recall correctly). It was done through an insurer that only deals with brokers and they properly reviewed the risk before writing it.

I know of some eBay sellers that ‘just take the risk’ but as the deemed manufacturer the buck stops with you and the costs involved in defending a claim could be substantial.

Happy to discuss if you have any questions.

Regards

Mark

Mr Lang
    Up

None of the ebayers or online sellers here bother with product liability???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.