Home – New Forums Tech talk EC2 and data loss

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    ::

does anyone have any direct experience with reliability in amazons cloud?

What happened did you have data loss?
    What did amazon do to rectify?

Steve

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I’ve not used EC2, but I’ve been using Amazon S3 for a couple of years and have never experienced a problem. I haven’t heard of any problems with data loss either (unless you count people who lose their secret keys!).

The biggest fault with the Amazon Cloud Computing platforms, in my mind, is that they are designed by Engineers for Engineers – it’s not easy for a regular person to sift through all the information and work out how to use it. Unless you have a technical mind, and time to work it out, you may be better off with one of the companies that focuses more on the consumer market.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    John

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I definitely agree, they seem to have overcomplicated it to the nth degree. Its taken about 12 months of casual poking and prodding to get my head around the terminology, resource hierarchy and pricing structures but now I’m really liking it.

We’ve had a testing server up there humming away happily for about 3 months with no issues but were lacking the long term experience with ec2 to do a risk analysis to plan for DR.

Can I ask how you are dealing with DR up there?

Steve

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I don’t use EC2, so haven’t had to deal with DR from that perspective. I only use S3 as a backup location for physical servers, so S3 is part of DR for those servers. If, on the very off chance that S3 were to ever be unavailable for an extended period, I would still have the original content as well as offline backups.

From my understanding of EC2, it is possible to export VMware images for offline backup. Could you possibly download these on a regular basis and plan to import them onto a physical server? Obviously you would need to have access to a physical server in the case of a disaster.

I think many companies do the opposite of what I describe above – i.e. use their physical servers as their primary servers, but have EC2 available for DR.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Initially we had it setup with 2 servers running together and 1 elastic IP
    a cron job would rsync the servers every 5 min so in the event primary server failed a simple switch of the elastic ip to the backup server would seamlessly keep everything running.
    So 3 months later and not a glitch the only problem is double the costs. (well decent problem)

However as you said s3 might be the way to go. So don’t run a second server just copy the data store to s3 and append every 5 min. then if server goes down rebuild image and copy data from s3.
    Downtime would be about 30min with a maximum of 5 min worth of data loss. Not so harsh for a mail server.
    Thanks this might be the way to go.

Steve

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122511 wrote:
    does anyone have any direct experience with reliability in amazons cloud?

What happened did you have data loss?
    What did amazon do to rectify?

Steve

We have had East Coast EC2 instance with them for just over a year and we never experienced any issues such as data loss or network outages. We’ve terminated this instance in favour for a West Coast instance. Currently we have one EC2 Instance on the West Coast and one in Ireland.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.