Home – New Forums Selling online Ecommerce platform recommendations

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #988281
    Vroni
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hey all,

    I would like some advice from the savvy tech people out there with regards to an ecommerce platform that would be the best option for selling 1 product with the option to expand to 10 products in the near future.

    Can anyone make a recommendation?

    Thanks in advance.

    #1166491
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Justin A, post: 192773 wrote:
    Hey all,

    I would like some advice from the savvy tech people out there with regards to an ecommerce platform that would be the best option for selling 1 product with the option to expand to 10 products in the near future.

    Can anyone make a recommendation?

    Thanks in advance.

    For 1 to 10 products you may not need an eCommerce site as such. You might just need say WordPress with a PayPal button on each page.

    The questions that would change that are:

    1. How expensive are the products?
    2. Will there be variations like size and color?
    3. How big and bulky are the products?
    4. How many do you expect to sell daily?
    5. How technically capable are you?

    It also depends a little on your future plans.

    You can also start a $19.95 / month My Online Shop at Australia Post that is good for up to 50 products. You can try it for free at Australia Post Free Trial.

    John

    #1166492
    Vroni
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for your response John. In answer to your questions:

    1. Product will be under $60AUD including shipping.
    2. No variations.
    3. Size will be under 500grams
    4. Hopefully as many as I can. But at this point I expect around 10-20 a day and then building up with targeted marketing.
    5. Relatively capable.

    I am going down the track of having an ABN/ACN/TFN and have also registered the .com.au addresses. I already have a hosting service and would like to manage the platform and make changes at will. I have had a bit of a play with WordPress and Magento. But as per your suggestion WordPress might be the go as Magento is huge in comparison.

    Is there also plugins for WordPress to enable CC payments?

    Cheers.

    #1166493
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    John Debrincat, post: 192776 wrote:
    1. How expensive are the products?
    2. Will there be variations like size and color?
    3. How big and bulky are the products?
    4. How many do you expect to sell daily?
    5. How technically capable are you?

    Very important.

    For small stores my clients use Woocommerce which hooks into your website. However, it’;s easy to get started, but depending on the theme, it could take a bit to make it look good!

    Good luck :)

    #1166494
    John Debrincat
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::
    Justin A, post: 192777 wrote:
    Thanks for your response John. In answer to your questions:

    1. Product will be under $60AUD including shipping.
    2. No variations.
    3. Size will be under 500grams
    4. Hopefully as many as I can. But at this point I expect around 10-20 a day and then building up with targeted marketing.
    5. Relatively capable.

    I am going down the track of having an ABN/ACN/TFN and have also registered the .com.au addresses. I already have a hosting service and would like to manage the platform and make changes at will. I have had a bit of a play with WordPress and Magento. But as per your suggestion WordPress might be the go as Magento is huge in comparison.

    Is there also plugins for WordPress to enable CC payments?

    Cheers.

    As Matthew mentioned Woocommerce will plug into WordPress and enable ecommerce and credit card capability. You will need still PayPal or a payment gateway. With a bit of research you can manage it yourself or get some initial setup done by a pro.

    My Online Shop will also work for you and connects to SecurePay and PayPal. It will also do the shipping cost calculation via Australia Post.

    You can use Australia Post for shipping and at 500 grams your shipping cost would be around $8.25 using pre-paid satchel.

    The PayPal cost is 2.4% + 30c / transaction.

    So make sure that your margins are still positive after adding these costs against the $60 product price.

    To get a payment gateway setup you need an online merchant back account and if you are a new business you may have some issues there. So it might be that PayPal is the way to go to get started.

    The PayPal Button approach would still work to get you started but won’t really scale longer term.

    Regards

    John

    #1166495
    mturner
    Member
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    0
    ::
    Justin A, post: 192777 wrote:
    Thanks for your response John. In answer to your questions:

    1. Product will be under $60AUD including shipping.
    2. No variations.
    3. Size will be under 500grams
    4. Hopefully as many as I can. But at this point I expect around 10-20 a day and then building up with targeted marketing.
    5. Relatively capable.

    Cheers.

    If I was you i would just use a PayPal button. For your requirements I don’t see any reason to use anything more complex. I will give you a reason why. One client of mine was using x-cart. They found that the time it took to install, debug, change themes, add plugins (it took months of work) was not worth the benefit at all. On top of that, most shopping cart systems will need to be updated periodically – potentially braking the whole system. The problem is that all shopping cart systems are designed to cater for every situation. Yours will just require some parts of the system but you will still need to run the entire system, which makes for a slow website too. (x-cart is terribly slow)
    I have just made a custom shopping cart for another client. It is simple, quick, and does only what they need it to do. Hence it runs lightening fast too.
    If you only have a few products, I would recommend either just using the PayPal buttons (Create the buttons – un-encrypted, that way you can easily modify the price, name of item etc without going through the painfully tedious PayPal login and button creation tool)
    Or…. if you find that you need to need a shopping cart – get a webdev to build you a simple one that simply generates a PayPal button for you.
    Good Luck!

    #1166496
    Purpletux
    Member
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Justin

    Your best bet would be to use WordPress with the Woocommerce plugin as people here have suggested, as it means that everything is hosted by you (as opposed to a third party shop where everything is hosted on their servers), and you have much greater control over the main site template via WordPress themes. It also means that expanding your product base is a very simple process.

    For payment, the aforementioned Woocommerce comes with PayPal already built in. Depending on how your PayPal account is set up, you an also have it accept Credit Card payments which then get paid into your PayPal account, so there isn’t any need for a secondary payment gateway if you are happy for things to work that way.

    If you need any help with getting your site up and running and looking great, please get in touch and we can certainly offer a competitive solution for you.

    Have a great Friday!

    Daniel.

    #1166497
    Vroni
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks all. Some good information there.

    So I have gone ahead with WordPress and installed the Woocommerce plugin. Also I have had a play with a few Themes and think this is the right direction to go. There are many that give tutorials and such.

    If I cant work it out then I will look at hiring some services.

    Thanks again.

    #1166498
    Purpletux
    Member
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    0
    ::

    No problems Justin.

    Good luck with it and I hope it all goes well.

    Thanks

    Daniel.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.