Home – New Forums Selling online ecommerce platforms for small business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ::
    John Debrincat, post: 149859 wrote:
    Hello Mathew,

Yes the system has been soft launched, as far as I am aware, and there are live sites although I don’t know many but here is one example – http://www.thatsnuts.com.au that I am aware of. It is a unique approach and the first month is a kind of free trial. The difference is that the store can be used to actually sell products in that period.

I didn’t say it was and I really don’t understand your comment about 100% customised no system is 100% customisable unless you build it yourself from scratch. Any ecommerce system open source or proprietary will have core capability and code that you don’t want to or should not customise.

The opportunity I refer to is that more small businesses are finding their way online and that they need to skills of good designers and agencies to help them get the right look and feel; and properly promote their businesses.

There is a lot of business for designers who want to help small to medium sized businesses and are willing to get some experience in new solutions.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) is the easiest way to shut out something that you don’t understand or that you think will compete with what you know. If you take some time to open you mind a little you might find that it does not scare you quiet so much and can even be a profitable process.

JohnIt’s not often I get called closed minded, so allow me to retort.

It’s not close minded to not recommend a system that:

1. Has not even launched yet. (According to their website)

2. Does not discuss any features.

3. Has not been tested or reviewed by anyone (bar those uninspiring sites you highlight)

Once I can take a look more closely, it’s prudent for me to advise caution, especially when there are some amazing eCommerce systems that have years of proven results behind them.

The fact you seem to be an such a advocate at this very early stage surprises me. Either you have more information than I, or have some involvement in the project.

Regards the designer comment, you missunderstand me. All the really good eCommerce systems allows designers to create 100% custom theme (or skin) by using their own HTML or CSS. This allows us to make great looking sites with no restrictions, while using the eCommerce system. Anything less than that is not designer friendly.

If being closed minded is actually having wanted all the details to make a intelligent decision for my clients then I must be closed minded. :)

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 149863 wrote:
    It’s not often I get called closed minded, so allow me to retort.

It’s not close minded to not recommend a system that:

1. Has not even launched yet. (According to their website)

2. Does not discuss any features.

3. Has not been tested or reviewed by anyone (bar those uninspiring sites you highlight)

OK Mathew I apologise if it came across as me calling you “closed minded” and I can see that.

What website are you actually looking at is it http://www.myshopinabox.com.au?

1. On there I cannot see any reference that says it is not launched!
    2. It has a heap of information, downloadable docs and video tutorials that cover the features!
    3. “uninspiring sites”? I gave you a link to one site that I know of. If it was an out of the box and self build I would say it was pretty good. It worked on all the browsers I tried and on my iPhone. It was easy to navigate and didn’t look too bad.
    4. I can see a trial registration on the my shop in a box site so maybe you missed it.

MatthewKeath, post: 149863 wrote:
    Regards the designer comment, you missunderstand me. All the really good eCommerce systems allows designers to create 100% custom theme (or skin) by using their own HTML or CSS. This allows us to make great looking sites with no restrictions, while using the eCommerce system. Anything less than that is not designer friendly.

I think that I understand you very well.

You are rating a solution based on if it is “designer friendly” as opposed to “business owner friendly”.

Having an ecommerce solution that is heavily design, or function, customised does not work for every business. You have to consider the ability for a business owner to manage and maintain their online store for themselves. Not every business owner will want to or have the ability to spend $1,000’s on a design or a designer.

There are some really bad eCommerce systems that allow 100% customisation. So the level to which a design can be customised has no bearing or relationship to the capability or quality of a solution.

By the way Mathew you did not say that “you would not recommend it” and that would absolutely be your prerogative; but what you said is “steer clear” that has a very different cogitation.

John

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 149869 wrote:
    OK Mathew I apologise if it came across as me calling you “closed minded” and I can see that.

What website are you actually looking at is it http://www.myshopinabox.com.au?

1. On there I cannot see any reference that says it is not launched!Sorry, my bad. It’s the part that connects to Auspost that is still not launched, not the whole site.

2. It has a heap of information, downloadable docs and video tutorials that cover the features!I must have missed all this. All I can find was a few sentences on the features. IMHO it was very light on, but hey, whatever works for them.

3. “uninspiring sites”? I gave you a link to one site that I know of. If it was an out of the box and self build I would say it was pretty good. It worked on all the browsers I tried and on my iPhone. It was easy to navigate and didn’t look too bad. Compared to the basic templates that come with other system, I would recommend, it looks amateurish, but each to their own.

4. I can see a trial registration on the my shop in a box site so maybe you missed it.I would love a link to an test site, plus the option to have a peek in the test sites backend, like most others do. There is no examples of templates they have available that I could see.

There are some really bad eCommerce systems that allow 100% customisation. So the level to which a design can be customised has no bearing or relationship to the capability or quality of a solution.No, of course not. A good one should have both. Great basic templates for basic use, and then awesome custom support for people who want more. The problem with one that allows users to to get started, but wont allow a full custom store, is that once their business is doing well, they need to switch to a new eCommerce system to upgrade their site. This, IMHO, is short sighted from both the client and the system. If’ you upgrade to the $127 per month plan you get ‘Advanced design capabilities’, whatever that means. (They don’t actually say what that is that I could find.)

I wont recommend a system that will not let me customise it, or limits that customisation. The same way I will not recommend a system that would cost 1000’s to someone who doesn’t need it.

By the way Mathew you did not say that “you would not recommend it” and that would absolutely be your prerogative; but what you said is “steer clear” that has a very different cogitation.

JohnIt’s the same to me. I would say steer clear and here is a system I recommend. Once AusPost one shows value to me and my clients then I will recommend it.

Let see how it’s going in a couple of years and I can get you my updated thoughts :)

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

Seeing this post is about small business – the implication being relatively small catalogues

I think my reply discussing WooCommerce as an integrated WordPress solution is also relevant here.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.