Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Eek! I don’t want to use Facebook! Your thoughts?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #989229
    Myshopsshop
    Member
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    0
    ::

    I am sure most of you have rolled your eyes right after reading this post title! :rolleyes: But don’t get me wrong …

    Hi all,

    Whilst I understand the benefits of Facebook, I really would love to see that my website grow purely because of the resources my website offers and not because I happen to appear on feeds of friends of friends.

    Does this make sense?
    Or am I being ‘dumb’ by not appearing where everybody seems to gather? (hmm, have I just answered my own question?)

    #1171048
    Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up
    0
    ::

    Would it hurt to have another way to get your business in front of potential customers?

    #1171049
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::

    Whoa there, I am waiting for some off the management consultants on here to reply, I am disappointed that they havent jumped on you and said that is a ridiculous idea.

    Personally I think good on you, Facebook is still totally unproven ( ok shoot me), interesting there was a thread just started on here a week ago saying that 95% of social media was useless (well that was my interpratation).

    The management consultants will say you need to get 1000’s of likes on facebook, but as another thread on here said, likes have never paid anyones bills.

    There are a lot of business’s out there that DO NOT advertise or use facebook, and they are doing very well. I like your move, and congratulate you on it.

    Ok, now i wait to be shot down.

    #1171050
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 198583 wrote:
    Personally I think good on you, Facebook is still totally unproven ( ok shoot me), interesting there was a thread just started on here a week ago saying that 95% of social media was useless (well that was my interpratation).

    That is utterly ridiculous.

    You know another medium that people get mixed results? TV, and Radio, and flyers, and Networking, and word of mouth, and Google Adwords, Websites, and etc etc.

    I tell you right now that we have had good clients from FB, and from those clients our business has grown.

    It’s a small part of our marketing effort, but it allows us to talk to our customers, supporters, and allows them to talk back.

    Blankets statements like that are very very dangerous – imagine ignoring the World’s largest website! It’s not for all businesses, but it certainly needs to be looked at. Consider yourself shot down.

    #1171051
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::
    Myshopsshop, post: 198575 wrote:
    Whilst I understand the benefits of Facebook, I really would love to see that my website grow purely because of the resources my website offers and not because I happen to appear on feeds of friends of friends.
    How are people going to find these awesome resources?
    #1171052
    Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up
    0
    ::

    It depends on how you’re using social media for your business.

    Your aim should always be to develop content on your website first and then use that content to attract visitors from social media. It’s all part of diversifying your traffic from search engines and getting more eyes on your content for minimal effort.

    If your strategy involves:

    • Leaving traffic on social platforms
    • Images of cats and coffee
    • 1000s of paid Likes from promotion yet no engagement on updates
    • Posting content that is irrelevant to your industry & audience

    then there is a strong argument that you’re doing it wrong.

    Realistically the social part of things shouldn’t take a significant part out of your day, I spend 30 minutes max. Stop worrying about vanity metrics or socialising all day, it’s pointless. Use tools like buffer to spread status updates across many social platforms, quick and easy.

    The only way you can track if it’s a worthwhile investment of your time is by tracking where your customers come from.

    #1171053
    Myshopsshop
    Member
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    0
    ::
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 198588 wrote:
    Stop worrying about vanity metrics or socialising all day, it’s pointless. Use tools like buffer to spread status updates across many social platforms, quick and easy.
    > This is exactly what I should do because I was worried FB was going to take too much time away from my website …

    I think if I create a strict plan/strategy for how I will use FB for business purposes it may work for me; something like:
    – spend 30 mins per day only
    – reply to likers posts/comments where necessary
    – create engagement with likers by posting industry/business relevant content (ie. interesting facts, articles, questions for discussion)
    – link to twitter etc.

    Thanks everyone :)

    #1171054
    Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up
    0
    ::

    I find that Facebook works best if you use it to give a personal face and touch to your business. It doesn’t work at all if you use it to spam ads for your business all over it.

    If you treat it as an ‘About me’ page and put up a lot of informative and interesting posts about various subject, not just about your business, then people get to know you and are more likely to click on your personal information, where, if you have the right words, they will find out more about your business.

    You would be surprised how many ‘stalkers’ you get if you make people interested in YOU and your ideas and hobbies, I get people come up to me on the street and say how they friended me because they looked me up when I posted on someone elses group pages, or looked at other peoples friends.

    In my opinion I don’t think anyone should be worried about likes and how many friends you have, it is just another way for people to find you, and it costs nothing, except a few minutes each day.

    #1171055
    Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up
    0
    ::
    Myshopsshop, post: 198598 wrote:
    I think if I create a strict plan/strategy for how I will use FB for business purposes it may work for me; something like:
    – spend 30 mins per day only
    – reply to likers posts/comments where necessary
    – create engagement with likers by posting industry/business relevant content (ie. interesting facts, articles, questions for discussion)
    – link to twitter etc.

    Remember that your aim is always to bring traffic to your site! Sure, share interesting content from others that is relevant to your audience but ensure your strategy focuses more on how you’ll bring visitors to your unique content and convert it into business for you.

    gardenlarder, post: 198605 wrote:
    I find that Facebook works best if you use it to give a personal face and touch to your business. It doesn’t work at all if you use it to spam ads for your business all over it.

    This is definitely true.The businesses that I’ve seen having the most success are the ones that make their personalities part of their brand. People don’t typically interact well with just a brand so by putting your face, stories and personality in front of them they’ll soon start to develop a warm relationship with you.

    #1171056
    tonyk
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    0
    ::

    As a small business owner, it’s all about positive exposure. In my opinion the means by which your business is placed in front of the eyes of others is irrelevant.

    #1171057
    MissSassy
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up
    0
    ::

    Something to remember is that by having a Facebook Business page you create another touchpoint for people to find or see your business.

    Naturally you are going to direct them to your site, if that is what you want.

    Think of Facebook as another directory or search engine where your business is listed and can be found.

    By utilising a scheduling program like Hootsuite or Bufferapp you can schedule your posts to appear daily and you have program them to come out weeks in advance. Facebook also has it’s own scheduler too. This way your only time taken is to respond as/if required and perhaps once a month you sit and write the next months posts.

    #1171058
    tonyk
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    0
    ::
    MissSassy, post: 198639 wrote:
    Something to remember is that by having a Facebook Business page you create another touchpoint for people to find or see your business.

    Naturally you are going to direct them to your site, if that is what you want.

    Think of Facebook as another directory or search engine where your business is listed and can be found.

    By utilising a scheduling program like Hootsuite or Bufferapp you can schedule your posts to appear daily and you have program them to come out weeks in advance. Facebook also has it’s own scheduler too. This way your only time taken is to respond as/if required and perhaps once a month you sit and write the next months posts.

    Facebook has its own settings which allow you to schedule posts to appear throughout the day.

    #1171059
    MissSassy
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yes I wrote that ;)

    #1171060
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Ed,
    This new FS thread contains a link to a survey on exactly this topic.
    Regs,
    JohnW

    #1171061
    SlinkyThing
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there,

    Like any form of marketing, it’s only of use if your target audience use it. I too don’t like facebook. I find a lot of business set it up and it ends up a waste and more of a negative than a positive. Others use it well and engage their clientele and it really works for them. Some small businesses I’ve seen such as hair salons etc (and I’m NOT saying it can’t work for them) have set it up but don’t update it or run promotions or things of interest and only have 10 likes when in reality, they are a great business with good clientele. It works for some and not for others. If you use it, you have to put the time and effort into it. It doesn’t work for itself and people can see how often you are on and update and in turn will only like/subscribe if they are getting regular updates that are relevant to their needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.