Home – New Forums Starting your journey Email address for online business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SLUGGO
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Just wandering what people’s thoughts are on using a gmail for an online business selling jewellery?

Would it be perceived as not professional?
    Would customers spam filters simply ‘spam’ any email from gmail?

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

I tell all my clients not to use “free” email services for business.

I think that it shows unprofessionalism.

I have a client that sells 100 thousand dollar + Printers. He had an optusnet email account.

I told him “you are selling up to three quaters of a million dollar printers but using an optus email address.”

Enough said.

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

If you’re doing business online – don’t you have a domain name? If you’ve got youre own domain name, it shouldn’t be too hard to get email set-up for it.

If your hosting service has free ‘forwarding addresses’ (as do many c-panel hosts and others) you can use one of them in conjunction with a free gmail account – and get the best of both worlds.

I posted about setting up gmail to use third part email addresses (such as …@yourdomain.com” on my blog: http://becauseyouloveit.com.au/category/productivity/

Ali

SLUGGO
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

we are going through http://bigcartel.com/ (hosting and shopping cart) and registering the domain with crazydomains and i’m told it’s not possible to have [email protected]

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

I can’t understand why you couldn’t setup your own emails. Usually sites are hosted in one place and the shopping cart is just the software that runs on the server.

A quick look at one of the example sites http://1918vintage.bigcartel.com/contact shows that they have an email at their own domain. If you are opting for the free ‘gold’ plan then perhaps thats why it isn’t allowed.

On the ‘gold’ plan, why is it that companies feel they need to upsize their descriptions, whats wrong with bronze, silver and gold, why start with gold and then go platinum, diamond…..they’re not fooling anyone.

EDIT: On the question of using gmail, I wouldn’t even consider using such a service or as has been said previously optusnet or similar address. By all means do some redirections behind the scenes but you have to have a professional looking email. If they are insisting they cannot offer you that option then perhaps you should be looking at another shopping cart provider, there are plenty around.

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    Power Protect, post: 33245 wrote:
    If they are insisting they cannot offer you that option then perhaps you should be looking at another shopping cart provider, there are plenty around.

Couldn’t agree more.

You can get email hosting free with Google Apps, and pay between $10 and $25 for a domain name. Setup the domain with Google Apps and you’ve got instant email accounts for 100 users free of charge.

There is no reason not to have your own domain even if it’s only for email. Some providers will even setup the domain with Google Apps for you and simply tell you your username and password once it’s all done – couldn’t be easier :)

Cheers,
    Joel

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

considering it is so cheap i don’t see why you wouldn’t get your own domain/emails.

makes you look much more professional

mtpocket
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Well..
    I think it’s more professional to have your own, but many times comes to practicality, when you have to spell it out a million times. When you say @gmail.com no need of spelling everyone knows.

scotty
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

+1 for Google Apps. Having your own [email protected] email address, and awesome Gmail user interface, reliability and scalability. I used to run my own email server with sophisticated layers of spam filtering. But at the end it is just too much trouble making sure it is up & running properly, and handed over to Google as they are doing much better than me (for free!)

As of your-own-domain not as easy to remember as gmail.com, your email domain would be the same as your business domain, which would be the same as your business name. I guess you ought to come up with an easy to remember business name in the first place anyway :)

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

I don’t take a business seriously if they don’t have a business email lol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.