Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Email list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben @ Coolerz
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I have been offered a list of 55,000 email addresses. The seller has approached me randomly which has made me suspicious that it’s a scam. I’ve checked out the website the individual represents and it seems legit.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should play this?

Many thanks,

Ben

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Ben @ Coolerz, post: 195985 wrote:
    Hi there,

I have been offered a list of 55,000 email addresses. The seller has approached me randomly which has made me suspicious that it’s a scam. I’ve checked out the website the individual represents and it seems legit.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should play this?

Many thanks,

Ben

Was it this?

Hi,
    I have been working in the classifieds industry for 3 years. It allowed me to collect 55,000 email addresses from people in Australia (exclusively emails ending with .com.au).

The email list has never been used.

I would like to sell it.

If you are interested please let me know.

Regards,
    Vincent

If so then more than likely a lot people on these forums got it.

If it is is legit, why would random people on that list want to do business with a business that sends them spam cause that is what it would be if you sent to them.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Even if the list was legit it would be illegal to send out a bulk email to everyone on it. Your domain could also get blacklisted making it difficult to contact your legitimate customers and services like Mailchimp will never allow you to import a list such as that.

You’re better off without.

There are better ways of prospecting.

Ben @ Coolerz
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Thanks gents.

I thought it sounded a bit fishy, thanks for confirming.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Ben and all,

Thank for raising this, we had a couple of reports of this today, so I suspect it’s a spammer.

We’ve investigated a couple of spam reports like this over the years where spammers popular sites on the internet looking for email addresses that are posted online. Sometimes they’ll also claim some affiliation with the sites.

While there is no way for them to access any of our member data in our system, they can copy content on public pages such as email addresses that are available on public threads or sometimes forum signatures.

To avoid this on Flying Solo and similar forums, rather than publish your email address online you can ask users to send you a Private Message or email via the forum’s messaging system. That way they can send you a message but not access your contact details and you won’t need to disclose your email address publicly. Alternatively you can link to the contact form on your website.

If you get any unwanted/spam private messages from actual members just hit the ‘report’ link and we can easily identify these members and block them.

It’s always a balance between being easily accessible online to legit prospects and then these sorts of things. In this case best to delete/ignore.

Thanks again and if you have any further messages or questions please let us know.

Cheers
    Peter

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I received one of them as well,

You will notice I don’t have my email address or website published on the forum, so I know it didnt come from here.

I dont publish my email address, as I was bombarded with spam when I did publish it on another forum, and from that point on I took my details off the forums.

I know that they do trawl websites and pickup email address’s from there.

Did an experiment once and setup a unique email address (not related to business) which I only used for online websites which required email address’s, and it was very interesting to see how quickly I started getting bombarded with spam from various sources, who would not have known the unique email address.

Y LearnMarketing
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Definitely avoid this kind of lists.

It’s questionable if you can even use them. Are the people on the list opt in to receive materials from you?

It can be a breach of the privacy laws in Australia.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.