Home – New Forums Marketing mastery email marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi we have on online store and sell through eBay as well. Most of our customers come via eBay. My question is are we allowed to send those eBay customers a newsletter/flyer etc. about our website etc.

We are not wanting to swap people with junk email but a fortnightly/monthly newsletter. Do we need permission from the customer or is sending the emails considered spam?

Thanks in Advance
    Fab

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

My understanding of Spam is if you are sending relative information to people that have or have not done any business with you, its not considered Spam. You do need to include your name and business details plus an unsubscribe link.

I would start by sending a thank you email every time you got a purchase. This will warm them up.

Itch
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I agree with Tony, deliver a thank you letter for every purchase that is made from your online store, whether it be via digitally or physically. If you’re going to mass produce generic thank you letters, your best bet would be to stick to delivering them physically with every purchase. Otherwise, make them as personalised as you can relating to each purchase they make, perhaps nudging at a related item you have in stock.

Another thing you could do, depending on how many customers & time you have available, you can do handwritten thank you letters. This is most likely impracticable (however it is perfect early on), try physically signing each letter you send out. For customers who have been in for the long term, a handwritten thank you note could make their day & give you a mention upon their peers.

Physical letters stand out more than ever now with the abundance of electronic mail in the digital age. Even with a simple personalised thank you note sent over the internet, your customers are more inclined to consider your future offers than they would by receiving a simple bargain.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks for the responses.

We currently do send out a thank you email with the tracking information.

I am really asking if it’s OK to send email marketing to eBay customers. Given all sales come with an email address. Do you think it’s good form to use someones email like that given the email address was given us to fulfill the sale. We really don’t want to break any privacy laws etc.

Fab

Itch
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

It’s okay if your customer agrees to receiving newsletters and / or the message isn’t completely unsolicited. Just use those methods on your emails to decrease the chances of your messages getting brushed aside and you must include an unsubscribe button.

Make sure your emails follow Spam Act 2003, which focuses on three basic things overall, Consent, Identify & unsubscribe:

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/consumer_info/frequently_asked_questions/spam_business_practical_guide.pdf

Another eBay based business does something similar to what you’re planning to do and hasn’t gotten into strife yet along with several others. You may be in the clear, but if you’re really worried, mention your message somewhere on your eBay profile or items.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

The email rules are one size fits all, and unfortunately people on this forum haven’t asked the basic question: – are you emailing a consumer or a business owner? Have they given you their express consent, or inferred consent?

INstead of wading through the government website, have a look at the blog I’ve put together which simplifies it all:

http://springintosales.com/email-spam-stay-legal/

The best idea for you to do is to get express consent and ask them to join your newsletter. You can do this very easily in your thank you email that goes out, if you can’t do it at the time they order.

From there, a simple nurture campaign that is written specifically for those people will have you increase your likelihood of excellent repeat business, along with good word of mouth.

Jenny

CharleSalgado
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    Fab, post: 189977 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses.

We currently do send out a thank you email with the tracking information.

I am really asking if it’s OK to send email marketing to eBay customers. Given all sales come with an email address. Do you think it’s good form to use someones email like that given the email address was given us to fulfill the sale. We really don’t want to break any privacy laws etc.

Fab

Hi Fab,

I had a look at your online store and I really like it…
    (Coincidentally enough I’m interested on buying a pet travel bed!!!)

What you could do in this case to avoid any problems with spams, considering you are already sending the ‘thank you’ email, is setup an email list with whatever email marketing company….

Then you could create a Give-Away Gift – i.e. some eBook related to your industry which would add value to your client. (This is an amazing way to segment your list)

Along with your ‘Thank you’ email, you ask the client to subscribe to your email list in exchange of this Give-Away gift (reciprocity plays a fantastic role in this case).

By doing that, you would make sure that everyone on your list was not only keen to receive your newsletter but also interested on your industry and what you have to say…. since they would have seen value on the gift you have given away!!!

If you would like to know more about I would be happy to help you out!

All the best

jesterx
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

no matter what anyone thinks…here are 3 tips that create very nice profitable businesses.

1) Your Previous Paying customers.

2) Your Previous Paying customers.

3) Your Previous Paying customers.

LOL…… Ummmm I think you get my point.

I am not sure the policies ebay has with this, but maybe you can get them on a list of some sort and offer them content, or tips, or articles, and on sell them from there.

Basically, anyone that has purchased from you in the past, is going to or willing to buy from you in the future.

Just think yourself, how many times have your bought a product or service and was so impressed, you went back to this person and dealt with them over and over and over again. you are a repeat customer, and to the buyer you are worth your weight in gold.

As a business owner, you need to be on the other end of this. Think to yourself, how can I put more buyers or more repeat customers on my list.

I remember a guy from the 1950 who was bankrupt and when to creating a massive multimillion dollar business by legally stealing customers of others who were repeat buyers. SMART SMART SMART….and yes this was back in the 1950’s so, even 60 years later the principles have not even changed one bit.

Buying customers are what you need. But A list of 100’s of buying customers is basically like have an ATM in your back yard spitting our cash. :-) There is nothing else like it, if you want to push a button and make money. Pretty simple really.

Work out a way for you to get these buyers from ebay, over to a totally related list, or something similar, and you are sweet.

Hope it helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.