Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Email Marketing Conversions.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    onthephoneagain
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    ::

Just wondering.
    I am sure there are a LOT of people on here who use email marketing as part of their business. Newsletter subscribers etc.

I am just wondering if anyone here can give me a figure of the amount of newsletter subscibers you have and how it converts.
    Meaning opening % if you know these.
    And if you are successfull in making conversions. Either from click throughs or purchases.
    Costs to use a email marketing platform.
    Costs to have the newsletter created. I am sure there is lots of thought and energy placed into some!

Do you think that it is even worth it anymore.
    I mean the amount of people that receive marketing in their inbox each day..do you think that it is becoming a waste of time.

For me i receive a lot of emails in my personal inbox from online clothing to deals etc..and to be honest, i cant even be bothered reading them anymore.

I am getting ready to be included in a new platform of marketing, one that will be read and opened by almost 100% of subscribers. And just want to get some real oppinions and stats on email marketing and your oppinions on what you do when you receive them yourself.

Any discussion. It is just for research and interest.

Cheers.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I’ve been doing a newsletter for a few months now, although admittedly it has become better quality as time has gone on!

Last month my open rate was 65%. That’s the biggest ever, usually it’s around the average which is about 35%.

I wouldn’t say it’s increased business BUT it’s a great way to keep people aware of your existence, which is why I persevere with it.

I subscribe to a few newsletters – if I find they’re irrelevant now I simply unsubscribe. I’ve had one or two who have unsubscribed since my newsletter began which I don’t think is bad – hopefully it means my content is relevant!

I’d say give it a go – there are free newsletter options out there so it will only cost you the time in preparing the content.

Good luck :)

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

As a consumer of content I prefer doing it in my own time (RSS, Twitter, forums) but as a producer of content email newsletter is a great way to jeep your customers and potential clients up to date with what you are doing and gain their trust by offering great content – most of my clients don’t read my blog….that is until I send my newsletter then I get a lot of people jump on. I’ll try to dig out some stats as well I think it would be useful to compare some numbers.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    onthephoneagain, post: 72811 wrote:
    Just wondering.
    I am sure there are a LOT of people on here who use email marketing as part of their business. Newsletter subscribers etc.

I am just wondering if anyone here can give me a figure of the amount of newsletter subscibers you have and how it converts.
    Meaning opening % if you know these.
    And if you are successfull in making conversions. Either from click throughs or purchases.
    Costs to use a email marketing platform.
    Costs to have the newsletter created. I am sure there is lots of thought and energy placed into some!

Do you think that it is even worth it anymore.
    I mean the amount of people that receive marketing in their inbox each day..do you think that it is becoming a waste of time.

For me i receive a lot of emails in my personal inbox from online clothing to deals etc..and to be honest, i cant even be bothered reading them anymore.

I am getting ready to be included in a new platform of marketing, one that will be read and opened by almost 100% of subscribers. And just want to get some real oppinions and stats on email marketing and your oppinions on what you do when you receive them yourself.

Any discussion. It is just for research and interest.

Cheers.

Dear onthephoneagain

If you have exactly the right message to exactly the right list at exactly the right time and they have nothing distracting them like the telephone ringing then you might get a decent open rate

I hope you are not giving too much of your hard earned money to someone who is talking about “a new platform of marketing, one that will be read and opened by almost 100% of subscribers”

onthephoneagain
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 72984 wrote:
    Dear onthephoneagain

If you have exactly the right message to exactly the right list at exactly the right time and they have nothing distracting them like the telephone ringing then you might get a decent open rate

I hope you are not giving too much of your hard earned money to someone who is talking about “a new platform of marketing, one that will be read and opened by almost 100% of subscribers”

Hey warren.

No i am not using email marketing, as i dont need it for what i do.
    I sell other peoples products by phone. Contract telemarker.
    No need for me to send them any emails…no one would care what i am doing lol!
    I wanted some REAL feedback on email marketing. From real people. Thoughts, oppinions, does it work, is it old school.
    I assure you the marketing method i was talking about will be opened by everyone of the subscribers. I am not talking about a new platform of email marketing.
    I can imagine looking back at my post a lot of people would have scoffed at that statement also. But just so you get what i am talking about, I was talking about mobile marketing or sms marketing. A service currently only utilised by major companies like coke, marie clare etc.

The reason for my post is to find how email marketing works, and where it does not. It makes it easier for me to understand peoples needs and desires of how they get through to their customers.

The replies here are very helpful. Thankyou.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    Up
    onthephoneagain, post: 73025 wrote:
    Contract telemarker.
    No need for me to send them any emails…no one would care what i am doing lol!…
    I wanted some REAL feedback on email marketing. From real people. Thoughts, opinions, does it work, is it old school.
    I assure you the marketing method i was talking about will be opened by everyone of the subscribers….I was talking about mobile marketing or sms marketing. A service currently only utilised by major companies like coke, marie clare etc.

The reason for my post is to find how email marketing works, and where it does not. It makes it easier for me to understand peoples needs and desires of how they get through to their customers.

First, let me open the door for you for some self promotion… are you good at what you do? and how do you get your customers? Let us know… I care what you are doing and might use your services

Re email marketing… I think the biggest mistake that a lot of businesses make is that they think that one email is like one date that will get you married.

It takes time and you need to be consistent with your mailing schedule and you absolutely should not sell in every email that you send out.

To give you an example… I send out a marketing ezine every week and I don’t sell anything in it. It’s usually about the latest trends or something special in a book I have just read.

I watch my stats re who is reading them and eventually it does pay dividends.

I am just about to sign a lovely contract with a big company because someone in that company has been reading my ezines for 18 months.

That is the power of email marketing if you write good content and you are patient. This relationship will easily justify the time it has taken to write every week and because I have been doing it consistently for years there are other opportunities now popping up just because my email is there when they are thinking of buying.

You cannot control when your prospect is going to buy, you just have to be in their mind when they are thinking about it.

To round out my earlier post now that I know you are considering SMS marketing… it still comes down to the quality of the list. As a mature age gentleman, you are unlikely to sell to me with a mobile message.

However, I am embracing it as a service for our clients who have Gen X & Y lists and customers.

So may I suggest that it is all about you being perceived as the right person with the right message to the right list at the right time in the right manner ie. emails, sms, direct mail or whatever

Many businesses cannot write an ezine every week using their internal resources so I / We do it for them… if you are consistent and patient with email marketing, you will eventually build a relationship with the people who don’t unsubscribe and do business with them

Hope this helps

bridiej
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 73034 wrote:
    I am just about to sign a lovely contract with a big company because someone in that company has been reading my ezines for 18 months.

Wow, nice work! :)

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    Up
    bridiej, post: 73039 wrote:
    Wow, nice work! :)

Thanks Bridie

I think the secret with email marketing is just consistency… Woody Allen said “80 percent of success is just showing up”

I still think there is a lot of business out there for copywriters on FS to package their clients into a regular email delivery where they take the lead and I just support them with the platform and personal access to me.

The reality is… if I had to write a letter to the executive in the company every week for 18 months I probably would have given up… email marketing platforms are so cost effective with the best leverage… I was writing to many not just him :)

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

If all the emails you send have the quality of Warren’s emails… then your conversion should be pretty high.

I subscribed last week and top content. Kudos.

onthephoneagain
    Up

Cheers guys.

This info is useful.

Just to get through some questions quickly

Warren Cottis, post: 73034 wrote:
    First, let me open the door for you for some self promotion… are you good at what you do? and how do you get your customers? Let us know… I care what you are doing and might use your services

Yes i am good at what I do. I sell peoples products. And only choose to sell things that i myself beleive is a good product.
    I am not selling this product yet. So i am not here to promote it.

The sole purpose for my post was to gather the pros and cons. When i am ready to go on and start, i need to be ready to hear the common objections.
    I beleive this service will not replace email, but compliment it, and i need to know where.
    But thank you very much for your great post. You are obviously a gun at what you do.

Looking forward to reading more from others also.

Cheers guys

travelmaster
    • Total posts: 200
    Up

I have been using Constantcontact for about five years now. We have about 1200 contacts but of course some are pretty dormant by now.
    We send a newsletter more or less monthly and the “open rate” is about 25%, which apparently is not too bad (for my industry). The challenge with open rate is to come up with a good subject line, not just : “A newsletter from XYZ”.
    As for the “success rate” or conversion – it does not work like this at all.
    The newsletters are going out to keep us on top of pple’s minds. I want them to think about us whenever they need a travel agent. From this point of view they work wonders. At the end of the day they are just another element in the whole range of marketing devices. You’ll never know which one works the best. They all work together.

liril4
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

No one wants to receive marketing emails they didn’t request. That’s true! But there are many people who want to know about your products, company or organization. These people will welcome hearing from you and actually look forward to getting your emails.
    Face it: There’s a right way and a wrong way to do most everything. This is particularly true when it comes to
    email marketing
    . The last thing any law-abiding citizen ever wants is to be associated with spam.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I’ve finally gotten around to opening our stats for our March newsletter.

• Subscribers – 814
    • Opens – 219 Unique 27%, 374 total
    • Total clicks 102, unique 32 (3.9%)
    • Unsubscribes – 11
    • Forwards – 0

I think there’s a fair bit of room for improvement here. I’ve changed the structure of my newsletter somewhat for April so I’ll report back after 3 weeks on the new stats and see if there are any learnings.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

I think the key to any effective marketing message is “relevance” to the recipient. It doesn’t really matter how you do it. If you hit the right person with the right message at the right time then you will convert. That’s why TV and radio are becoming far less appealing than new forms of online marketing. They use a carpet bombing approach because the technology has limited ability to profile the right targets. Online marketing, profiled email, profiled adwords and adsense – it’d far most cost effective. Hit fewer of the right people. Case in point – watch the group buying market in Australia in the next 6 months. They will go from one deal a day in each city to about five localized profiled deals. Groupon did it in the USA and took their revenue up by a factor of two overnight (almost).

Answering your original question. If you are carpet bombing a semi relevant database you can expect 15% to 25% opens. Maybe a 1% to 2% sale rate on opens.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    bridiej
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 74439 wrote:
    I’ve finally gotten around to opening our stats for our March newsletter.

• Subscribers – 814
    • Opens – 219 Unique 27%, 374 total
    • Total clicks 102, unique 32 (3.9%)
    • Unsubscribes – 11
    • Forwards – 0

I think there’s a fair bit of room for improvement here. I’ve changed the structure of my newsletter somewhat for April so I’ll report back after 3 weeks on the new stats and see if there are any learnings.

Don’t forget “opens” are registered when someone clicks download images – so chances are there are many more who read your newsletter but didn’t both with the pictures!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.