Home – New Forums Tech talk Email outreach help

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #990020
    Graham Pinning
    Member
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    0
    ::

    So I have a list of websites I would like to contact for links, they are good websites in my industry.

    How do i go about emailing them without getting hit for spamming on my email?

    Do I have to write each email from scratch?

    I use outlook.

    #1174974
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    Graham Pinning, post: 203577 wrote:
    So I have a list of websites I would like to contact for links, they are good websites in my industry.

    How do i go about emailing them without getting hit for spamming on my email?

    Do I have to write each email from scratch?

    I use outlook.

    No you do not have to write a new email for each receipient.
    Spamming, if you only send one email to them you can get away with it as it is not a newsletter thing.

    Spamming most likely will apply to your host provider, if you send to many emails out at once it will raise an alarm. This can happen when you add 100s of emails to your sent to (always use BCC).

    But there is a solution called sidekick have a look, what is important to track who actually opens and reads the email…..

    If they do…. follow up with a call :-).

    #1174975
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 203606 wrote:
    No you do not have to write a new email for each receipient.
    Spamming, if you only send one email to them you can get away with it as it is not a newsletter thing.

    Spamming most likely will apply to your host provider, if you send to many emails out at once it will raise an alarm. This can happen when you add 100s of emails to your sent to (always use BCC).

    But there is a solution called sidekick have a look, what is important to track who actually opens and reads the email…..

    If they do…. follow up with a call :-).

    Sorry but I suggest that you read the Spam act, it can be spam if you send 1 or 100’s of emails. There are very specific guidelines in relation to consent and implied consent when it comes to Spam. No where does it actually say it is ok if you only send 1.

    #1174976
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 203625 wrote:
    Sorry but I suggest that you read the Spam act, it can be spam if you send 1 or 100’s of emails. There are very specific guidelines in relation to consent and implied consent when it comes to Spam. No where does it actually say it is ok if you only send 1.

    Ben,
    I have read the spam act, and I believe I sort of understand it, and yes it does state that it is ok if you only send 1 email. It is called inferred consent. In the context of the OP, obtaining emails listed on the businesses WEBPAGE, I believe there is inferred consent.

    Two things that are confusing.
    – Spamming as defined under the act, and if so it needs to be defined as a commercial message, as the poster pointed out he has obtained their emails from their websites and as such can be deemed to be ” inferred consent “. They have published their emails online in a public domain and as such it might be seen as consent to send emails. So lets elaborate on that “Consent may also be inferred when someone conspicuously publishes their work-related electronic address (for example, on a website, brochure or magazine); and your business wants to send them a commercial electronic message that relates directly to that person’s line of work. However, if a publication includes a statement that the person does not want to receive unsolicited commercial electronic messages at that address, you can not infer consent.”

    – Volume send in one hit, this is were I was refering to inregards to one or 100’s of emails. As a host provider we keep an eye on volume hits. If someone starts sending 100s of emails to the mail queue we pull them up and ask questions.

    For now, you have a point… about the act but the act is to protect those who are NOT consenting. Personally I do not believe there is yet a ruling on enforcing the act in respect of sending one email to a particular person without consent.

    In this case, subject to the websites from which the email addresses are harvested include a statement that the person, persons or representative of the business does not want to receive unsolicited COMMERCIAL electronic message, I believe that the OP can operate within the boundaries of the ACT.

    #1174977
    JamesNorquay
    Member
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    0
    ::

    You need to make the emails personal, and the thing is if they are large sites they will probably want money for guestposts or branded content where you need to no-follow it.

    Example template –

    Hello My Name is XYZ,

    I have been a long time reader of your site XYZ

    I was wondering if you would let one of your long time readers post a piece of relevant content on your site.

    Let me know if you want any more information.

    Thanks

    BLAH BLAH
    – Link to site – link social.

    This way you just open the discussion and you make it personal and it shows you like the site ect.

    Most of outreach is like fishing you need to put out 40 emails (bait) and only 10 will reply back.

    #1174978
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 203632 wrote:
    Ben,
    I have read the spam act, and I believe I sort of understand it, and yes it does state that it is ok if you only send 1 email. It is called inferred consent. In the context of the OP, obtaining emails listed on the businesses WEBPAGE, I believe there is inferred consent.

    QUOTE]

    Inferred consent does not automatically apply just because a business has an email address published on their website. I suggest everyone thinking of just emailing potential clients have a very cloe look at what is and isnt considered consent.

    Just because I have my email address published on my website, does not mean that you can send me a commercial email.

    #1174979
    help4bis.com
    Member
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    0
    ::

    Just because I have my email address published on my website, does not mean that you can send me a commercial email.

    Actually it does, I can and I am allowed under the act.

    ACMA

    You might be different if you have:
    – a publication including a statement that the person does not want to receive unsoliceded commercial electronic messages at that address.

    As stated:
    Consent may also be inferred when someone conspicuously publishes ther work related electronic address (for example, on a website…)

    However, the ‘conspicuous publication’ exception means you MAY be able to infer consent to send marketing messages where an address has been published AND other requirements are met.

    It does not matter where the address is published, as long as you can show that:

    it was published
    it allows you to contact a business
    it is reasonable to assume it was published with the agreement of the business.
    With this in mind, it would be wise to keep a copy of the publication for future reference.

    Oops another one.

    The may in this clause is dependent on the explicit statement not to send commercial messages.

    bb1, based upon ACMA its own submissions (I believe) you are incorrect.

    #1174980
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    Why do you want the link? SEO or do you wish to partner with them in some way?

    If you can get their number why not give them a call, explain who you are and what you want.

    Simply emails and asking for a link with no back story is not going to get far.

    Regards the argument, know one ever has been pulled up for sending a single personalised email to a company for a specific reason – to my knowledge anyway!

    #1174981
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    help4bis.com, post: 203662 wrote:
    bb1, based upon ACMA its own submissions you are incorrect. Do not apply scare tactics.QUOTE]

    Not sure why you consider trying to let people know what the Spam act says is scare tactics, education is not scare tactics..

    With conspicuous publication, there must be a strong link between what you are promoting and the recipient’s role or line of business. You cannot infer someone’s consent just because you believe your product would benefit them.

    Examples:
    If you sell IT software to businesses, this does not mean you can send promotional emails to any business with a published email address. However, if a business conspicuously publishes the email address of their IT department, you may be able to infer that account holder’s consent, as your message is directly related to their role, function and line of business: IT.

    If your business sells washers for taps, you cannot send commercial emails to all businesses with conspicuously published email addresses on the assumption that they all need washers in their taps. However, you could send your promotional emails to plumbing supplies stores.

    #1174982
    Jenny Spring
    Member
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    0
    ::
    Graham Pinning, post: 203577 wrote:
    So I have a list of websites I would like to contact for links, they are good websites in my industry.

    How do i go about emailing them without getting hit for spamming on my email?

    Do I have to write each email from scratch?

    I use outlook.

    No, you don’t have to write each email from scratch, but you do have to write the emails so that the person has the feeling that you aren’t sending out to the masses.

    Yes, you can do this legally, as long as you are a business, and the role of the email address you are sending to will be using your type of prodcts/services.

    However, being legal, and being downright annoying are two different things.

    Don’t get caught in the spam trap even if you are legal, it’s like email suicide.

    Jenny

    #1174983
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    Jenny Spring, post: 204585 wrote:
    , and the roleof the email address you are sending to will be using your type of prodcts/services.

    However, being legal, and being downright annoying are two different things.

    Don’t get caught in the spam trap even if you are legal, it’s like email suicide.

    Jenny

    Thats the key word that you have to take from the Spam act, it must be relevant to the role. ie. you cannot send gardening related emails to my IT departments email address, because if you do it is considered Spam. So as I only list my IT departments email address, any gardening related emails I recieve from my web site are considered SPAM, even though I run a gardening business.

    #1174984
    Jenny Spring
    Member
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    0
    ::
    Graham Pinning, post: 203577 wrote:
    So I have a list of websites I would like to contact for links, they are good websites in my industry.

    How do i go about emailing them without getting hit for spamming on my email?

    Do I have to write each email from scratch?

    I use outlook.

    Graham
    I think this conversation got bogged down into the legalities of whether you would be a spammer, rather than addressing your underlying business objective, which I assume, is to find new clients?

    Is that correct?

    Why not try Facebook advertising?

    We can target the kinds of profiles/business/ages/locations etc., and entice people to join your newsletter. This way you will have them by express consent, and this then enables you to contact them legally.

    You have very specific products, so it should be fairly easy to find people who have these particular interests.

    I’d set up a great sales funnel, using Facebook as your traffic generator, but have a good enticement to join the newsletter. For example, you could use a product that you know many people want, and put it as a very low ‘loss leader’. After the purchase that – immediately – you’ll want to upsell them into other products.

    The key is to do that within seconds of the purchase.

    Hope that helps.

    jenny

    #1174985
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::

    How many emails are we talking about?

    #1174986
    iaindooley
    Member
    • Total posts: 74
    Up
    0
    ::

    Checkout http://www.toutapp.com/ for a good product that reduces the overhead of sending out personalised emails.

    Also, here’s a tried and true tactic for getting backlinks from websites: go to that site and find *broken links on that site for them*, then email them with an email like “Broken link on your about page”, and say “Hi there, I found that you linked to some website, but the link is broken, by the way, I have some similar content that you could replace it with here: LINK”.

    More here: http://moz.com/blog/the-broken-link-building-bible

    #1174988
    TehCamel
    Member
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    0
    ::
    bb1, post: 204588 wrote:
    Thats the key word that you have to take from the Spam act, it must be relevant to the role. ie. you cannot send gardening related emails to my IT departments email address, because if you do it is considered Spam. So as I only list my IT departments email address, any gardening related emails I recieve from my web site are considered SPAM, even though I run a gardening business.

    Bert, what’s your view on this kind of scenario:
    I have an IT product or service that I wish to suggest to you.
    I query the AUNIC registry database.
    it gives me this info:

    Quote:
    Tech Contact ID X13221049830178
    Tech Contact Name Andrew Egan
    Tech Contact Email [email protected]

    if I do a little further research and determine that Andrew Egan is the director of said company, I could imply that since he is a director, and since he is listed as a Technical Contact for the registered domain, and since the service I’m offering relates to emails for that domain, and that this address is conspicuously published, I can send email because it’s relevant.

    what if I was to do a search for another domain name and I find this: (which I’ve edited)

    Quote:
    Tech Contact Name Personname LastName
    Tech Contact Email [email protected]
    the tech contact’s real name is listed on their website as a co-owner.
    they are listed as at echnical contact for the domain.
    A further search for their real name @theirdomain.com finds a posting on facebook with a job and their proper email address.

    Would you say that’s conspicously published ? :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.