Home – New Forums Selling online Email Subscription Service and Recurring Payment Systems advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vigour Projects
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi all!

I’m trying to get a service off the ground where I email paying customers (subscribers) useful constantly updated information to help their business, the specifics I dont care to get into (construction based). I plan to update our internal database of said information and email it out to our customers once a week (every Monday).

What I’m having trouble finding is an email subscription service that can easily sort my customers based on either:
    (i) Currently subscribed and Paying
    (ii) Not paid for this billing period
    (iii) Non-paying customers who have not yet signed up (to send them promotional material only I guess)

Preferably a free, or cheap, program or service would suffice for this.

Another service I’ve had alot of trouble finding information on is a recurring payment system (through direct bank deposit and/or PayPal?) to receive payment from our customers every month periodically, and also have other options such as if the customer signs up for 3, 6 or 12 months and pays upfront they will get a discounted rate.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of system? And an ideas on how to integrate the two together? ie. As the customer pays and signs up, they are added to the appropriate emailing subscription list. I’m also open to ideas for an automated internal recording system for our own company records, but for now I am using just a simple Excel spreadsheet and entering in as much info as I can manually.

Any assistance with this is HUGELY appreciated!! I’ve been stuck for ideas for months now.

Cheers,

Mac.

Berrigan Motel
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

I’m not sure how the accounts (active vs not paid) would integrate but have you checked out http://www.mailchimp.com (no affiliation)? A lot of the newsletters I receive use their system and they do have a free account option.

Paypal should be able to do recurring payments. Or speak to your bank, they will likely have a solution that may cost a little but will save you the headache of paypal users reversing their transactions on you.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

No experience with it, but this looks similar to what you’re after?

http://blog.madmimi.com/email-course-moonclerk/

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Mac,

There are many subscription services, the best known is MailChimp for the email subscriptions and it is integrated with a payment system.

Also PayPal has a re-occurring billing system.

You don’t mention the software for your website, if you have eCommerce on your site, I am sure that will have some sort of system in place as well.

Fast Spring is an amazing platform, it managing all the work for you, but they take a %, I use this one for my software license subscriptions, people pay by the month, 3 months, 6 months etc and I set discounts for each option.

I am not affiliated with any of these, I just suggested them as I have used them in the past and they are all very good. FastSpring a good way for a start up to get happening without cash layout, so is PayPal.

I have included the links for you:

http://www.fastspring.com/

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/subscriptions

http://mailchimp.com/about/press-releases/2012-01-31/

If you are looking for cheap and you have a WordPress site, then I am sure you will be able to find a plugin that will work for the management and use PayPal for the payment.

Good luck and let us know if you need more assistance.

Cheers
    Mischelle

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Hi there Mac, (cool name :) )

Essentially, you’re looking for 2 different services that talk to each other. An email marketing/delivery service and a membership service.

There’s a great service called “Zapier” which will integrate almost any web based application together, so this will really open up the combinations you can use.

MailChimp has been around for a very long time, it really is one of the market leaders for micro to small business. It’s super easy to use, has a great drag and drop interface for designing your templates and is free for 12,000 emails / 2000 subscribers a month.

All you’ll need to do in MailChimp is setup a field on your user records called “Subscription Level” or “Paid” or something like that where your membership system can write to that field each month.

Membership charging: Something like Chargify would would for you (again, integrated with Zapier to make it easy)

I think Xero would also work for you as you can hook it in to a bunch of different payment gateways and you can enable automatic monthly invoices to be sent out *This way, you’re also looking after your accounting obligations. Xero is in Zapier as well :)

If you don’t want to mess around with integrating things together I’d recommend looking at InfusionSoft. It’s the leader in email marketing/CRM and has membership payments built in to it. Starts at US$199/month for 2500 contact/12500 emails – http://www.infusionsoft.com/pricing

Good luck!

Maclean

EdmundPelgen
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Two systems I’ve been using that I’ve very happy with are:

Activecampaign.com which is more than just email. It has the same marketing automation features as platforms like Infusionsoft and Ontraport for a far cheaper price. I cannot rate this platform more highly.

In terms of recurring billing I’ve been using Chargebee.com which I can plug into my eway merchant account, or Stripe or whatever you have.

A great recurring billing solution

Ed

zeneo
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hey Ed ,
    Thanks for this.
    I checked out ChargeBee, they look reasonable.
    Their startup package- ‘$10k on us’ seems fantastic.

Are you still using them?
    Do you have experience with any other recurring billing provider ?
    cheers.

EdmundPelgen, post: 207474, member: 2279 wrote:
    In terms of recurring billing I’ve been using Chargebee.com which I can plug into my eway merchant account, or Stripe or whatever you have.

A great recurring billing solution

Ed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.