Home – New Forums Starting your journey Employment status & LinkedIn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fanix
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    ::

Hi,

This might be a strange question, but its been bugging me…

I’m an IT Contractor (Software Developer) who recently registered a Pty Ltd company (ACN, not ABN), after which I then secured a 12 month consulting contract through a major financial institution.

Seeing as I am consulting through my own Pty Ltd, I’m not essentially employed by the company as im not on their payroll. I simply invoice them and they pay that to my company, who then pays me a salary (Accountant dealing with all of that).

So I’m curious, on social media and LinkedIn, do I say I’m employed by the company i’ll be consulting to, or do I market my own company by saying I’m Director of “MyCompanyName Pty Ltd” consulting for “the company i’ll be doing work for”

I’m looking at the bigger picture, potential marketing exposure, future expansion etc… What do most other contractors do that consult through a Pty Ltd?

Cheers!

Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi FaNIX

I would personally say “Director at (my company)”. It’s a more precise representation of who you are.
    Of course, you could then separately state on who you’re working with.

All the best

Cooke Consulting
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    FaNIX, post: 191457 wrote:
    Hi,

This might be a strange question, but its been bugging me…

I’m an IT Contractor (Software Developer) who recently registered a Pty Ltd company (ACN, not ABN), after which I then secured a 12 month consulting contract through a major financial institution.

Seeing as I am consulting through my own Pty Ltd, I’m not essentially employed by the company as im not on their payroll. I simply invoice them and they pay that to my company, who then pays me a salary (Accountant dealing with all of that).

So I’m curious, on social media and LinkedIn, do I say I’m employed by the company i’ll be consulting to, or do I market my own company by saying I’m Director of “MyCompanyName Pty Ltd” consulting for “the company i’ll be doing work for”

I’m looking at the bigger picture, potential marketing exposure, future expansion etc… What do most other contractors do that consult through a Pty Ltd?

Cheers!

I agree – you are not being employed by them, they are using your services. However you might want to consider not putting down ‘Director of X Company’ but something of more value to your target market, whether that is keyword centric or you come up with a suitable slogan that your target market would understand:

• Who you are
    • What you do
    • Why you do it
    • What is the value of using your services

You could list “the client” under the projects section of your LinkedIn profile – (assuming there isn’t a non disclosure clause in your contract) there you can list down what you do/did for this client.

To make it easier think of the Keywords that a) Your target market would use to search for your services b) Pump those keywords throughout your LinkedIn profile to increase your network ranking within LinkedIn.

Hope it helps :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.