Home Forums Find the help you need Engaging Student with ABN number

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dealsmate8
    • Total posts: 6

Hello All,

Hoping everybody is staying well in the new COVID world.

I am engaging a student with my company who lost his job due to Pandemic. The student has an ABN and I am advised by my accountant engaging anybody with the ABN is the better option vs Employer-employee relationship ( Casual or Fulltime ). I agree with him due to liability comes with the employer – employee relationship.

Just wondering:-
    1) If I still need to get the 100 point ID check from the candidate/student?
    2) Is it mandatory for the student to have his own insurance ( as such it is work from home job) ?
    3) The nature of work is not fixed hours but on-demand – what’s the best way to pay the student?

Thanks
    Amit

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

You might need to check back with your Accountant arounf=d the term Personal Services Income.

In the meantime, here is a decent starting point:

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/find-help-for/independent-contractors

As a contractor, you would generally ask for an insurance certificate of currency and ask the contractor invoice you.

Cheers
    Paul

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

I would go back to your accountant.

But I would also drill him/her as to if this person is really a contractor or is actually considered an employee. Because it depends on the nature of the working arrangement how the ATO and others view it.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210

Look up sham contracting. If the arrangement looks and smells like an employee-employer relationship, it probably is.

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-will-help/templates-and-guides/fact-sheets/rights-and-obligations/independent-contractors-and-employees

There are penalties that apply to misconduct in this area, so tread carefully and seek professional advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.