Home – New Forums Other discussions Entrepreneurial inspiration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alex Benedict
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

I’m curious as to where people got their entrepreneurial inspiration from. Was it from a book or two you read? Or was it from knowing someone?

Gavin_S
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Alex, great question!
    For me it was growing up with my parents owning a small business so I was exposed to it at a very young age.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

I think in many ways it is no different to art. Some people paint paintings, others make sculptures, some make videos, others are musicians, I build businesses:)

At the risk of sounding a bit fluffy I think my inspiration comes from a belief that building my own business is the best form I have found to be able to express myself. To take the project I am currently working on as an example I have always helped friends and family start small businesses so I decided to create a website that formalised my thoughts:)

Daniel12345
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

ironically my inspiration was born of frustration, in particular having work for a number of “bosses” who were completely hopeless at being good managers, it eventually became a case of put up or shut up!

Choccy
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi Alex

Interesting question! I think as Dane mentions, it can be an expression of ones-self. For me, it has formalised in the past year, after having been exposed to small business all my life. I happened to work in and out of a family business for about 8 years (total) and finally realised working with family takes extra patience- it simply did not work for me. I promised myself, after the third time- it was out for good. Having said that, I am heading towards 40 and have really had experience in many varied areas- so happy I made this move now, as I use all of these skills now for starting my own business. Guess the element of “risk” is exciting and once you feel confident with an idea or a concept, go for it!!!

Alex Benedict
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Thanks for the replies everyone:)

With respect to one’s own inspiration no doubt it can come from the building process. Watching your creation become something.:cool:

I posed the question initially regarding external inspiration – book authors, mentors and the like.

For me Robert Kiyosaki stood out as the first inspiration.

Cheers…

bigbusiness
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi

I have to admit that the Rich Dad Poor Dad series of books by Robert Kiyosaki was the best thing for me when I started reading them just over 10 years ago as ultimately it was because of those that I have been able to set up myself financially for life.

However and believe it or not it was the “Flying Solo” book that gave me the push to go into small business and self employment. So well done FLYING SOLO!

regards,

bigbusiness

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I wasn’t able to negotiate a very good pocket money rate with my parents then I discovered I could supplement my income by hiring out my bouncing babies video game at school. Have been on the lookout for ways to make money ever since.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.