Home – New Forums Other discussions Entrepreneurs are they made? or born?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BMasterminds
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

I find the debate between peoples believes around entrepreneurialism facinating. It seems not everyone agrees! So let me put a question too you…

Are entrepreneurs made? or are they born?

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I think entrepreneurs are developed – by parents! I am currently in the Bachelor of Business (Major in Entrepreneurship) course at RMIT University in Melbourne and from our discussions between students, lecturers and guest lecturers, there has always been a degree of nurturing of the entrepreneurial mindset from parents as they grew up.

I know that was certainly the case for me. Getting the time to launch all the ventures in my head is the hard-part though!

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    bm09, post: 5456 wrote:
    Are entrepreneurs made? or are they born?

Hi Angelique,

I’d be surprised if anyone on here would respond with “they are born”.

There are to many “rags to riches” stories to believe otherwise.

It really comes down to passion and “doing whatever it takes to succeed”. Have passion, never give up and keep learning.

BMasterminds
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

There are many I have come across that believe they are born. I have had many lively discussions in my groups about this. I personally believe to be entreprenurial is a mindset and if we don’t currently have it we can change it.

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Great topic!

Hhmmm…. if they were born – then surely there would be more around. Or perhaps its a ‘learned’ behaviour? (from whom?)

Let’s face it – do we even know what Richard Bransons’ parents did? Were they entrpreneurs? Then of course – what did Justin Heralds’ parents excel in?

So maybe it has nothing at all to do with our parents – maybe it is a mindset!

B.B.

linkartist
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

I think that there are intrinsic personality traits that make for better entrepeneurs… but I think that anyone can learn it.

But like anything, there are degrees of natural ability/capacity/talent… but they mean squat unless you develop them.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

I had a few lively debates around this when I was doing my MBA (entrepreneurship/leadership major)…

The research indicates they can be both – some people have innate talent and others through life circumstances set themselves on that path. What is also interesting to consider is whether entrepreneurial traits such as risk-taking, creativity, etc are learned or present at birth.

I come from 3 generations of entrepreneurs on both sides of my family and had my first little business when I was 8 – so in my case you could definitely argue born… however I wouldn’t have had that business without the support and guidance of my parents! So the ‘learned’ part is in there too.

It took me quite a while to set up on my own because I wanted to learn other skills first… so part of my entrepreneurial knowledge is learned! In watching other highly successful entrepreneurs that I know, there is usually something innate in the ones who go on to build large successful businesses – personality characteristics such as curiosity, willingness to learn, commitment etc go a long way too!

cheers
    Lisa

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I disagree it’s parents.

My parents are both employees and are horrified by my entrepreneurship. They’d be very happy if I would just settle down and get a normal job.

So, I’m sure having parents who encourage it TOTALLY helps, but it’s not the only factor.

I believe you can BECOME entrepreneurial, but I believe I was born entrepreneurial. I’ve run businesses since I could talk … literally, from the time I was 5. I never doubted that my eventual path was business. People would ask me when I was a kid what I was going to do when I grew up and I said I was going to own my own business. There was no reason for this … my dad worked in a factory, my mum stayed home with four kids. We lived in a housing commission area, so it wasn’t like I was exposed to a lot of business people … or, any for that matter. It was just always there. Who knows – maybe it came from TV or from someone saying something random to me that I can’t remember?

I do believe, though, that children are born with their own personalities … that nature is as much a factor as nurture (and I’ve found most mums back me up on this!) … and I think being outgoing and enterprising is just who I am … it’s just my nature.

Meanwhile, I know other people who are INCREDIBLY entrepreneurial who had no interest in it in their childhoods, teens – and for some, even in their twenties and thirties!

So I think the only real answer is that there are many paths and each person follows their own journey … some come out of the womb ready to trade and others find their way through a more meandering path.

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up

This is a really interesting thread.

High School, when the teachers got us thinking of career paths was the first time I had a passing thought that I would really enjoy and might eventually own a business. I have to say at that point I really didn’t think it would become a reality, but here I am now living that reality! For me it was a mix – partially my entrepreneurial nature, partially circumstantial and also partly to do with encouragement from those around me. I said something to my spouse only a year back like ‘We had always spoken of my owning a business but because of the initial overheads I never thought that I actually would’.

I think that there are certain traits that a person is born with that might put them closer to a potential as an entrepreneur, or might not.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I certainly agree that just about anybody can learn and eventually possess the traits needed to be an entrepreneur, but I definitely think that there’s just that little bit extra that makes a good one.

I think that little bit extra is what you’re born with, and for my money, also what makes you a good one.

Edit: AWESOME thread too.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Micael E. Gerber, E-Myth MASTERY talks about creating an entrepreneur.

He believes there are three stages
    1. The technician
    2. The Manager
    3. The entrepreneur.

He takes the view that the Entreprenure in you is created and developed to take your business from being great to world class.
    Its about passion conbined with VISION.

Now this is something that takes a little to get your head around because the dictionary says that Entrepreneur is one who organises and manages any enterprise.

When you start to think about what Gerber is saying ( and I havent read all the book yet) is that instead of working IN the business that Technicians and managers do, Entreprenuers work ON the business. Being able to see the BIG picture and have a direction of where the business WILL BE IN 5, 10, 15 20 YEARS TIME

However this alone will not get the business there it is the PASSION that eventually get it there.

OK thats my opinion , does that make the mud a little clearer, or should I put more water with it.

Eco Manifesto
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Born with the personality – which gives you the traits to learn what you need to become one.

Oh – and luck!

Cheers
    Chrissy

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Sorry Im going to disagree with you Chrissy, LUCK has nothing to do with it

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Burgo, just don’t start flinging that mud about!!!

Your comment about the stages of development of an entrepreneur is interesting. I started as a tradesman, progressed to technician and before going it alone was also a factory manager for a time.

I also had no entrepreneurial blood in my immediate family (really only a couple of uncles) and no model to learn from, except that of watching how businesses ran that I worked for. And sometimes too what not to do!

For a long time I have asserted that to become an overnight success usually takes at least 30 years. In my case probably closer to 40 plus!!!!!

Eco Manifesto
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Email communication and my dry sense of humour sometimes doesn’t work

I should’ve put in one of these after luck – ;-)

Cheers
    Chrissy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.