Home – New Forums Logistics eParcel under 500 grams?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    lfc2k14
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

Been using clickandsend for the past 6 months. Finally got to the stage where I was sending about 100 parcels a month to qualify for AusPost eParcel.

Man o’ man was I disappointed with the rates quoted by the eParcel sales rep. Most of my packages are under 500 grams and fit in a 33cm x 22cm small flat-rate satchel from AusPost.

From the sales rep himself, he said it would cost $13.14 to send a similar item from Sydney to Melbourne (Parcel Post, without signature on delivery). 82% more than what I’m paying now with clickandsend.

Isn’t eparcel meant to save my business money? Anyone ideas?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    lfc2k14, post: 211754 wrote:
    Hi there,

Been using clickandsend for the past 6 months. Finally got to the stage where I was sending about 100 parcels a month to qualify for AusPost eParcel.

Man o’ man was I disappointed with the rates quoted by the eParcel sales rep. Most of my packages are under 500 grams and fit in a 33cm x 22cm small flat-rate satchel from AusPost.

From the sales rep himself, he said it would cost $13.14 to send a similar item from Sydney to Melbourne (Parcel Post, without signature on delivery). 82% more than what I’m paying now with clickandsend.

Isn’t eparcel meant to save my business money? Anyone ideas?

Volume Volume Volume :)

Click and Send was primarily created for eBay and can deliver awesome prices based on eBay’s negotiated rates.. I think, from memory and past looking into this, that the 2 are tied together from a ‘negotiated’ price perspective.

eParcel has been discussed on here lots, if you search for it in the forum, and always comes out cheaper for those using the volume.

Hard to provide much more information without volume proposition though :)

Be well and welcome to the forums.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I think the sales rep misquoted you; the standard (everyone in the world gets rate) for items under 500g from anywhere in Australia to anywhere in Australia is $7.20

The eParcel rate isn’t much better than this (eParcel only really ads value over 500g) but it is slightly better

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212008 wrote:
    I think the sales rep misquoted you; the standard (everyone in the world gets rate) for items under 500g from anywhere in Australia to anywhere in Australia is $7.20

The eParcel rate isn’t much better than this (eParcel only really ads value over 500g) but it is slightly better

Are you sure, i am fairly positive that size enters the equation on this?

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    redleaftea
    Up

Sure am (well they appear to have increased the rate to $7.45 but otherwise correct)

punch any postcodes you like into the postage calculator at http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html and keep the weight at 500g or less

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212013 wrote:
    Sure am (well they appear to have increased the rate to $7.45 but otherwise correct)

punch any postcodes you like into the postage calculator at http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html and keep the weight at 500g or less

Sorry mate, wasnt ‘correcting’ you as such i just thought size was always relevant..

Thanks for clarifying
    Jason

ps.. thats pretty sweet and more effective than courier satchels, especially there next day at $10.20.. i do note there are some size restrictions, although would not apply to this item.. such as no longer than 105cm and total cbm of .25,, but hard to hit that :)

redleaftea
    Up

Would be pretty hard to find something under 500g that was larger than that too (perhaps an empty box)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212015 wrote:
    Would be pretty hard to find something under 500g that was larger than that too (perhaps an empty box)

My thoughts exactly, or a garbage bag full of feathers :)

Hows the tea journey going, been a while now… Hope all great..

Jason

lfc2k14
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212008 wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying!

Well this is something I asked over and over because I just couldn’t believe it. eParcel works on Cubic weight, not actual weight. To qualify for the $7.20 rate your parcel would have to be width (m) x height (m) x length (m) x 250 = less than 0.5

So the parcel would have to be tiny to qualify for this rate. Anyway I think once we reach 2,000 parcels a year eParcel will make sense financially. For now clickandsend will have to do.

lfc2k14
    Up
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 212004 wrote:
    Volume Volume Volume :)

Click and Send was primarily created for eBay and can deliver awesome prices based on eBay’s negotiated rates.. I think, from memory and past looking into this, that the 2 are tied together from a ‘negotiated’ price perspective.

eParcel has been discussed on here lots, if you search for it in the forum, and always comes out cheaper for those using the volume.

Hard to provide much more information without volume proposition though :)

Be well and welcome to the forums.

Jason

Thanks Jason, yes I guess our volume will have to be closer to 2,000 parcels/year for eParcel to make sense financially. It’s a bit of a bummer.

The jump from 250/year for clickandsend to 1000/year for eParcel is huge as it is. I was expecting better rates as a result.

On another note is there any other companies that would be recommended for parcels under 500 grams?

redleaftea
    Up

Again I think you should speak to a different agent regarding the under 500g rate as I can assure you it is a fixed price for virtually any size parcel to anywhere in Australia (it makes up the vast majority of my business and if I was having to pay variable rates on it I doubt it would even be viable for me to operate)

You won’t find a better rate for light packages with anyone unless all of your business is between Melbourne and Sydney.
    Australia Post is required to provide a regular mail service to everyone so light parcels can piggyback on that existing delivery network while any courier company is going to have to go out of their way and spend a great deal to get parcels to remote areas.

Japan Post purchased Toll earlier this year so it’s possible they will look to provide a direct competitor for AP in future.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212061 wrote:
    Japan Post purchased Toll earlier this year so it’s possible they will look to provide a direct competitor for AP in future.

Across this one mate, personally i am hoping it opens up competition significantly and makes all carriers review there lower level parcels.. Just depends how long it takes for them to ‘alter’ their model (if they intend to) and how much restriction will be placed on them with ACCC and other fair trading processes (if any).

Australia definitely needs a shake up.

Cheers
    Jason

ps.. didnt answer how tea is treating you :) have watched your journey in the forums.. All good i hope mate..

redleaftea
    Up

Sorry must have missed that :)

It’s been going very well, growing slowly but steadily each month and we have a few major launches planned for this year including some that will hopefully attract some major attention.

I’m working on a site redesign at the moment which should improve a few areas I’m currently unhappy with, add a couple of features and provide an overall speed improvement when it’s done.

It definitely hasn’t been an easy process but we’re sticking with it

lfc2k14
    Up
    redleaftea, post: 212061 wrote:
    Again I think you should speak to a different agent regarding the under 500g rate as I can assure you it is a fixed price for virtually any size parcel to anywhere in Australia (it makes up the vast majority of my business and if I was having to pay variable rates on it I doubt it would even be viable for me to operate)

You won’t find a better rate for light packages with anyone unless all of your business is between Melbourne and Sydney.
    Australia Post is required to provide a regular mail service to everyone so light parcels can piggyback on that existing delivery network while any courier company is going to have to go out of their way and spend a great deal to get parcels to remote areas.

Hmmm ok I’ll give it a shot. I’ll reference that I know “some others” that have parcels under 500 grams as a flat rate. Thanks for the info!

There needs to be more competition. I do think that Australia Post needs to be privatized. There’s so much inefficiency within that company!

Matt @NMM
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

A lot of this has been rolling out for some time. With the integration of Post & Startrack, basically they are utilising the trackable network & scanning of Startrack, to offer scannable /tracked& proof of delivery for their parcel delivery (under the APO banner). In the very near future & in some cases already happening- any freight will be deemed on its weight by which ever is heavier (dead weight or Cubic weight). So i suggest keep the packaging tight & void of “air”.
    The other significant impact relates to new chain of custody laws in the freight industry so they MUST know not only what their truck is going to weight , but the cubic volume of its contents which also plays a significance to estimate what will fit in the trailer.
    In the same conversation with Post- ask about Startrack flat rate parcel services. Im fairly sure they have some options available in that arena too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.