Home – New Forums Get productive Equipping yourself with Productivity tools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    RICHSTUDENT
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I just wanted to share some experiences I’ve had in running my business..

Do you guys use any productivity tools in running your business?

If you guys use iPad or Tablets, you can find many productivity tools out there that could not only save you a lot of time, but also boost your income.

In the past I used Simpleology, as it was recommended to me through a good friend of mine. I loved using it, however it was web-based, and they don’t have any iOS apps for my iPad.

These days I run my business mostly using my iPad and my iPhone, much more convenient and mobile, I can carry them anywhere without the bulk.

So I’ve stopped using Simpleology, however those of you who are using desktop, you might find that useful.

Today I use the Wunderlist app (along with other apps), it works great however Simpleology is so much better… I just wished they had an iOS app.

I find that just by using productivity apps I’ve saved myself countless hours trying to organise my thoughts together and stick to a plan for the day… I’m no superman lol

Are you guys also familiar with Tim Ferriss’ 4-hour workweek? If so, how are you applying his concepts into your existing businesses?

I would love to hear more about it.

Forensic01
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Good post – and I topic that I am looking at myself.

I don’t have anything to add to your post, but wondered if you had any recommendations for time recording? I want something simple that I can use to time record my tasks – I want to monitor how long I spend on each task that I undertake.

I need something simple – maybe an app that has an export facility? I’m not really sure!

Any suggestions would be really helpful!

RICHSTUDENT
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Sure you could use an desktop app called “the action machine” it’s a routine/things to do based timer. Pretty simple and easy to use

To Your Success,

Dave

sohoAustralia
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I’m also a big fan and user of Wunderlist app – I use it mainly on my smartphone, but it syncs well with my tablet and desktop.

I’m also a huge fan of Evernote.

Cheers,
    Martin

BizTechspert
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

If you don’t mind me asking, what are you mainly using the apps for?

are you looking for something to bring all of your thoughts together, project management or both?

Also, do you have a team that you would like them to be involved in?

there’s quite a lot of different apps that we set up for our clients, but it all comes down to the outcome that you’re looking for and whether its just you or a team.

SecElec
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Dave,

Do you know of any Apps that help in the service industry? I am an Electrical Contractor?

I still use a diary and hand written invoice book for service work…

On the spot invoicing? On the spot printing?
    Charging with pay pal or something?
    Appointments and addresses plus navigation?

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up
    SecElec, post: 194968 wrote:
    Hi Dave,

Do you know of any Apps that help in the service industry? I am an Electrical Contractor?

I still use a diary and hand written invoice book for service work…

On the spot invoicing? On the spot printing?
    Charging with pay pal or something?
    Appointments and addresses plus navigation?

Hi SecElec,

There are a couple of great apps designed specifically for you (well, not you personally! But electrical contractors and other tradies) – GeoOp and ServiceM8.

Each is designed to assign jobs to a mobile work force, they know where the employee is (or at least where his phone is), they have the address of the customer, so yes you get appointments and navigation.

You can quote the customer for the job, assign the job to an employee, they can book time and materials to the job, you can have the customer sign off on your IPad.
    You can save notes and documents attached to the job, you can take photos of the job and save those in the app (great for resolving disputes), you can invoice from the IPad (or if you prefer have this done from the office, but the office has instant access to all the data).

All very cool! Will back end into either MOB or Xero for accounting purposes.

I am in the process of planning a free seminar on this exact topic, haven’t got a firm date yet, but likely to be September – you’d be most welcome. If you want to know more sooner than that please contact me.

Cheers, Rhys

angelarodgers
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Hi all!

Some awesome ideas and posts on here. I just wanted to add some tools that I’ve been using the last month or so that have helped my productivity improve:

Trello.com
    Basically a simple to-do list. I’ve tried other similar products for recording tasks in the past, but this one is the best in my opinion. It doesn’t over complicate things, it’s geared towards individuals and teams, has built in uploads, timing, checklists, and other features. And it’s free!

Enroll.me
    Something that disrupts my productivity is getting emails from different subscriptions throughout the day. Enroll.me makes these emails skip my inbox and get archived instantly, then at 7am the next day, I get a preview of all the emails in just 1 email, called my “Roll Up”. So instead of checking regularly throughout the day, I spend 2 mins each morning scanning my “Roll up” and reading the emails I am interested in. It also has a feature where you can see all your subscriptions at once, and unsubscribe to any of them with just one click.

Hope this helps!

By the way, yes, I love the ideas behind the 4 hour work week! I’m nowhere near achieving that (haha I wish!) but there’s so much wisdom in what Ferris says.

All the best!

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

I can’t comment about apps, but:-

These days I run my business mostly using my iPad and my iPhone, much more convenient and mobile, I can carry them anywhere without the bulk.

In my line of work, someone using a 4″ screen to convey an order, especially one where discussion is needed on pictures/drawings etc. is generally convenient for them, but usually ends up costing me more time going back and forwards trying to get real answers.

The words “sent from my iphone”, generally raise the alarm bells.

Convenient isn’t necessarily better, nor more productive.

SecElec
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Rhys,

Thank you for the info… It looks like I need to move out of the dark ages!

I’ll definitely check out GeoOp and ServiceM8.

I will follow your posts… Very good information!

Thanks again for your ideas & thoughts mate.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi All

Great discussion, i dont use much in the way of app time tools and the likes as i find the entire process of researching them rather overwhelming.. So this posts has, maybe, started me looking at some tools and whether applicable to me or not..

Would be awesome to see the Features and Benefits each person receives from their app of choice..

Moving on, my one and regular productivity tool is below :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    ClickyEmail
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I love using Asana (Asana.com) it’s ‘teamwork without email’ and free for up to 15 team members. Unlimited projects and tasks.

What’s great about it for me is that I can setup recurring projects, or at the very least templates that work for similar projects. I can assign tasks, have conversations with clients, upload and store files, and all without having to use my email. Plus it has a super simple app for your pocket computer (apparently some people use these as phones – he he he).

Saves me time, helps my clients interact really easily, and everyone can see what is expected of them, plus where a project is going.

Hard to find good project management software online that’s both easy to use and powerful.

:)

ClickyEmail
    Up

Also let me add Self Control – an excellent App if you’re just used to flicking to a website (like this one, or news websites) when you have half a second. Turn it on, list the websites you don’t want to visit, and you can’t. http://selfcontrolapp.com/

Fantastic for focusing if you need to just block out distractions.

Ha! Plus what Jason said ;)

Luke Jones
    Up

I’ll second Evernote for logging random notes, thoughts and ideas. Often something will spring in my mind and if I don’t log it I won’t retain it. Couldn’t be productive without it.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

People..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.