Home – New Forums Other discussions Ever tempted to go back to the ‘dark side’?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dinus
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

As a soloist (mainly), I’ve had my share of ups and downs over the years. And there have been moments where I have pondered, just for a second, whether life would be easier if I had a ‘normal’ job. Of course I then slapped myself and reminded myself of why I love being a freelancer, and I moved on.

There have also been times when my partner has tried to talk me into getting back into the rat race.

I’m curious to see how others have dealt with the urge to go back to the dark side? What triggered the urge, and what did you do about it? What effect did your partner have?

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

I thought about this this morning actually.

My business has been going from strength to strength and I’m so excited. Then I realised it’s become so important to me I can’t just put it aside- I’ve transitioned from that “just a freelance/casual/part time” work to a “reputable industry recognized business”. I thought about what I’d say if HarperCollins or Penguin offered me a job, 9-5, 40 hrs a week. I’m not sure I could just leave this behind, it’s my blood, it’s an extension of me.

My feelings of pride and determination to see how far I can go that turn me away from the 9-5. I dry up in those places, I mentally crinkle up like an old woman, cackling and giving bug-eyed stares at the person in the next cubicle.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

I ended up having to shut up shop with my first business and go back to “a real job”. Cashflow got to the point that we were most likely going to lose everything anyway and my wife made it clear that either the business went or she went.

I don’t regret the decision (too much) as:
    1. I love my wife :D
    2. It allowed me to get back on my feet and get my head cleared out and ready to move on again. I had no idea just how deep and dark a place I’d gotten to.
    3. Helped me to realise just why I don’t want to be working for someone else

Since point 3 happened I’ve been ferreting around for ideas and biding my time until I could realistically get to it again. I’m hoping that this year I can finally start my own project again – and this time my wife is 120% behind me (in fact she is starting her own business in a couple of months!).

Dinus
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 146966 wrote:
    I thought about this this morning actually.

My business has been going from strength to strength and I’m so excited. Then I realised it’s become so important to me I can’t just put it aside- I’ve transitioned from that “just a freelance/casual/part time” work to a “reputable industry recognized business”. I thought about what I’d say if HarperCollins or Penguin offered me a job, 9-5, 40 hrs a week. I’m not sure I could just leave this behind, it’s my blood, it’s an extension of me.

My feelings of pride and determination to see how far I can go that turn me away from the 9-5. I dry up in those places, I mentally crinkle up like an old woman, cackling and giving bug-eyed stares at the person in the next cubicle.

I know what you mean Scarlett. I was offered a couple of jobs last year, jobs that I would have jumped at 5 years ago. But I just couldn’t do it – like you said, it’s an extension of me. The thought of going back to work for da man is horrifying!

Dinus
    Up
    WhatsThePlanDan, post: 146967 wrote:
    I ended up having to shut up shop with my first business and go back to “a real job”. Cashflow got to the point that we were most likely going to lose everything anyway and my wife made it clear that either the business went or she went.

I don’t regret the decision (too much) as:
    1. I love my wife :D
    2. It allowed me to get back on my feet and get my head cleared out and ready to move on again. I had no idea just how deep and dark a place I’d gotten to.
    3. Helped me to realise just why I don’t want to be working for someone else

Since point 3 happened I’ve been ferreting around for ideas and biding my time until I could realistically get to it again. I’m hoping that this year I can finally start my own project again – and this time my wife is 120% behind me (in fact she is starting her own business in a couple of months!).

That’s funny – I too had to shut down my first business (after 9 years) about 15 years ago. Then went back to a ‘normal’ job but after 9 years of that decided I just had to work for myself again. Took the plunge again and haven’t looked back since.

Do it – If you don’t you’ll regret it at some point, but if you do the only regret you’ll have is that you didn’t do it sooner!

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I was.

Even went for a few job interviews. Then the instance I was offered a position something ‘clicked’ inside. The lure of a job was over. I had been offered one and the reality set in that I would once again be working for someone else. So I turned them down.

It was a lesson learned and since then I’ve been more committed than ever to make my business work. Less than a fortnight after turning the job down my business took off!!!

Fate!

True story! ;)

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

I know exactly what you are saying… I’ve spent 5 years building the business and getting it to where I wanted it to be and then after taking another year to write my own Business Workflow Solution GFC hit’s and all my prospects (which are still keen mind you) don’t have the cash-flow to be able to afford a new solution.

Then at the same time, something happened with my accounts (an employee at the accountants did something) and now the ATO what a HEAP of mone, which I don’t have and they aren’t willing to correct the issue, they say pay first then you can get a refund later…

So whilst sitting in the Red (Big Time), I’ve seriously considered ‘the dark side’, but keep returning to the propect that I’ve done it once, I can do it again. My honesty and continuous referrals have done my well before, so there is now reason why it shouldn’t again… I’ll just drop my rates a bit till I build everything and then slowly increase them.

Brent

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Frequently, and I did. I was offered a job paying much more than the little my books were and I was so sick of being by myself I jumped at the chance.

I’m having trouble leaving Flying Solo, though.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

During the recession we had to have, my business suffered as did many others, but the cleaning industry for the soloist was a disaster. Just about lost everything I had, but managed to hang onto “Shewhomustbe”.
    I managed to pick up some releif work cleaning schools, then very slowly I started to inch my way back. It was a long hard struggle, then I saw an ad for a cleaner, which I applied for and got about 20 hours a week.
    My business started to move again and I had to start putting people on to cover the workload. Funny but I still had the 20 hours aweek from another cleaner. I did think about leaving but I enjoyed the work and got on extremely well with my boss. I told him what was happening, and he asked if I wanted to quit or stay on.
    So i chose to stay on. This part time employment gave me the breething space I needed allowed me to get my self and my business back on growth, which it did.

Four years later when I turned 60 I decided to reduce my workload and just concentrate on the cleaning side I enjoyed the most.
    For the next five years my ex boss would phone asking advice or could I do a small job for him.

Going back to the “Dark side” as you put it can be of great benefit to you and eventually help to build your own business. Use it as a platform. Plan your moves, and quietly develop a business plan that will work for you, then gradually ease yourself back into your business without cutting the cord.

If this is not what you want, find a spouce who is prepared to back you by living off their earnings until your business starts to make profit.

What ever you decide to do weigh the pros and cons before you jump in

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Dinus, post: 146951 wrote:
    I’m curious to see how others have dealt with the urge to go back to the dark side? What triggered the urge, and what did you do about it? What effect did your partner have?

Even at my worst moments – no. Hell no.

Prior to my current business I was self employed for around 7 years. Prior to that I was an employee. Here’s the crux – I suck as an employee. I knew this and thus the reason I became self employed then took the step to actually starting my business.

I’m single so it only affects myself and my pet-kid Marnie ;) (my cat)

I could never go back to being an employee unless there was really “something” in it for me professionally for my business overall. You see, even then I’m thinking of how it could benefit my business and thus I’m not a ‘true’ employee.

Why am I not tempted ? Easy. I just know my strength has always been in “being my own boss” and I really suck at working for someone else.

Even tried it on a commission basis one time when I was self employed. Guess what, it didn’t work out LOL! :D

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 147005 wrote:
    I’ll just drop my rates a bit till I build everything and then slowly increase them.

Brent

Brent you should be increasing your rates – why are you dropping them ? ;)

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    gcpets, post: 147366 wrote:
    Brent you should be increasing your rates – why are you dropping them ? ;)

One thing I learnt during that recession had I not dropped my rates I would have walk through it.

DO NOT DROP YOUR RATES, maintain or increase otherwise you may just fall through that hole in the floor that isnt there ……yet

michnichols
    • Total posts: 236
    Up

I have thought about it, but my heart is not in it, not full time anyway. The thought does make me work harder for my business.
    It is good to see other stories too, (and hello to the Rowville meetup FSers).
    thanks for the discussion thread.
    Michelle

Burgo
    Participant
    Up
    michnichols, post: 147502 wrote:
    I have thought about it, but my heart is not in it, not full time anyway. The thought does make me work harder for my business.
    It is good to see other stories too, (and hello to the Rowville meetup FSers).
    thanks for the discussion thread.
    Michelle

I does doesnt it, but a part time job can take a lot of pressure off you as well. It just gives you space to breeth and something to live on

As the FS team says “Love your work”

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    gcpets, post: 147365 wrote:
    Here’s the crux – I suck as an employee. I knew this and thus the reason I became self employed then took the step to actually starting my business. …. I just know my strength has always been in “being my own boss” and I really suck at working for someone else.

LOL… I reached the very same conclusion several years ago. And when I look back, in pretty much every job I ever had I was busy trying to shape the business/company into what I thought it should/could be :D (invariably getting frustrated by other’s lack of vision)

I sometimes think it would be nice to have paid annual/sick leave, my super paid for me, and someone else to clean my office… but at the end of the day, the rewards of working for myself are too great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.