Home – New Forums Other discussions Excellent customer service, followed by zero customer service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

My next great customer service example of what not to do to a customer with dollars in their hands.

Busily working away at my biggest job today, and my mower decides to break, quickly work out what is wrong, and ring the dealer, and explain the situation, and that I am half finished. They say bring it straight around and we will fix it. Off I trot, ten minutes later the service department have dropped everything and are busily fixing it, no issue straight into it. GREAT customer service.

My plan had being to replace it anyhow and I was going in next week to buy a new one, so while they busy at it, I go over to the sales department to hand them some more dollars, well the first salesman wasn’t interested, and tried to get another salesman, but he was to busy twiddling his thumbs, so number one took all my details what I wanted, etc, and promised to ring me with a price by 3PM, not even take 5 minutes to give me a price, but send me away. I watched him later and he proceeded to twiddle his thumbs as well. BAD customer service. I knew exactly what I wanted, didn’t even want to look at it, or take it for a test drive, they could have sold a $7000.00 mower in 15 minutes, and happily moved on for the day.

In the mean time the service department broke record speeds and had me out and running again in 90 minutes.

A footnote to this is that they did the same 18 months ago and missed out on a $20,000 sale, I only went back because of convenience, I have already sent an email to their opposition who I know will happily take my money.

If a customer is in front of you, take their money, don’t let them walk out the door.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    bb1, post: 240101, member: 53375 wrote:
    My next great customer service example of what not to do to a customer with dollars in their hands.

Busily working away at my biggest job today, and my mower decides to break, quickly work out what is wrong, and ring the dealer, and explain the situation, and that I am half finished. They say bring it straight around and we will fix it. Off I trot, ten minutes later the service department have dropped everything and are busily fixing it, no issue straight into it. GREAT customer service.

My plan had being to replace it anyhow and I was going in next week to buy a new one, so while they busy at it, I go over to the sales department to hand them some more dollars, well the first salesman wasn’t interested, and tried to get another salesman, but he was to busy twiddling his thumbs, so number one took all my details what I wanted, etc, and promised to ring me with a price by 3PM, not even take 5 minutes to give me a price, but send me away. I watched him later and he proceeded to twiddle his thumbs as well. BAD customer service. I knew exactly what I wanted, didn’t even want to look at it, or take it for a test drive, they could have sold a $7000.00 mower in 15 minutes, and happily moved on for the day.

In the mean time the service department broke record speeds and had me out and running again in 90 minutes.

A footnote to this is that they did the same 18 months ago and missed out on a $20,000 sale, I only went back because of convenience, I have already sent an email to their opposition who I know will happily take my money.

If a customer is in front of you, take their money, don’t let them walk out the door.
    Awesome post Bert.

Business 101 is so important – keep your eyes on the prize and deliver on your promises – or don’t make them!

gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

What is the service dept like at the other mower store?

Similar Story:

I get most of my tools at one tool store here in Canberra, but when I first started I bought from another one. My impact driver just broke down and had it in for a warranty repair but it is something that I can’t do without, and I was looking to get a 12v version as it is lighter than the 18v. I called my favourite tool store and asked if they would repair it under warranty. They wouldn’t. They also wouldn’t be selling me a drill/driver set to cover the downfall.

talart
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

It is interesting to see the “bad customer service” examples that exist. There are business people who have a manner of arrogance, which truly astounds me at times. It is not that prevalent which makes it all the more noticeable when the non-service is delivered.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    gingerbeardhs, post: 240122, member: 84763 wrote:
    What is the service dept like at the other mower store?

Service dept at the other place is not as good as place A, but still ok, and as its multi national brand, I can go anywhere for service.

bb1
    Participant
    Up

Just an update, that was Wednesday, I sent the email to company B that night, I had a response the following morning, and have since had about 3 more emails as we have being fine tuning my requirements. By Friday night I had all the details I needed, and Monday morning will be asking them to send me a final purchase agreement, and sending the deposit. They will have what will turn out to be an $8000 sale, just by answering 4 emails.

In the mean time I still am waiting patiently twiddling my thumbs for Company A to call, remembering I was standing in their office with my wallet burning a hole in my pocket.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    bb1, post: 240260, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just an update, that was Wednesday, I sent the email to company B that night, I had a response the following morning, and have since had about 3 more emails as we have being fine tuning my requirements. By Friday night I had all the details I needed, and Monday morning will be asking them to send me a final purchase agreement, and sending the deposit. They will have what will turn out to be an $8000 sale, just by answering 4 emails.

In the mean time I still am waiting patiently twiddling my thumbs for Company A to call, remembering I was standing in their office with my wallet burning a hole in my pocket.

Yes, never judge a book by it cover, its history with you or any other discriminatory sales perception one may have.. You just never know.. And to be honest, some people shouldnt be in sales/customer service…

Couple lessons some of these people should learn:
    Learn how to say ‘hi’ and mean it
    Learn that not every person will buy today, but treat all as if they will = respect
    Learn simple questioning, open and closed questions..
    Learn how to prioritise WALK ins over tasks that you ‘think’ are important such as emails – your priority isnt always the other persons – they dont always align and as a sales person, the client or potential client in front of you is priority ONE.

Ok, this went on longer than expected *(unusual? LOL) although sales people that think there time is more important than yours or judge others is just a pet peeve of mine..

Awesome stuff bert..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Hunter Sinclair
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

I’ve had many instances in my life where all I’ve wanted is someone to help relieve me of my $$$ and couldn’t find them. :p On the other hand I went to buy one pair of jeans one day but because the sales girl was expert in fitting I walked out with four including a pair if their most expensive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.