Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Exhibiting at trade fairs. Worth it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rosemark
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi again FS community,

Just wondering if anyone has advice about exhibiting at trade fairs? I will soon have a product that I will be looking to wholesale to retailers and I’m wondering if trade fairs are worth paying for? Do retailers generally attend trade fairs looking for new products or would I be better served approaching my target retailers directly?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Mark

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Mark

Personally, I think each has its own merit. Although it’s really hard to give you specific information (or for others to give) without really knowing much about you, your product or your target audience. Or at least 1 or 2 of those 3.

Trade fairs can be good depending on where, who by, who for, attendance groups of which we aren’t sure as advised above. Although these can be cost inhibitive – $10k+ (plus additional fees to handle your stock or to hang signs wtc such as at Jeffs shed).

Face to face is also awesome, but again depends on your product. Are you wanting to sell to all sizes retailers or mainly the major groups? Only ask this as I think another post mentioned Bunnings? This will have a factor in how successful you can be, also what force do you have behind you? More than one sales person or solo operator? Obviously this will have a huge impact as well.

If you have an established brand and people are looking for YOU, trade shows work unbelievably – but it is leveraging off your exisiting name and product base.

I know I didn’t really give you an answer as such, just food for thought but the more info we have theore the community can advise.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Rosemark
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi thanks Jason,
    I’m looking to introduce a new type of domestic rainwater tank and I have no brand name or track record behind me. I will be looking to sell to hardware stores and water tank retailers and I will soon be at the stage that I will be looking to find those retailers. Part of the problem I am having is finding the right kind if trade fair because I just keep finding giftware, clothing or homewares fairs. Does anyone know of any fairs that would be suitable for me to exhibit at? And do the larger hardware retailers bother attending trade fairs or do they just ‘sit back’ and have everyone approach them?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Regards,
    Mark

Tactical Displays
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Rosemark,

We’ve done some exhibition equipment for companies in the residential solar panel market. They were exhibiting at the Sydney Home Show, I believe.

http://www.sydneyhomeshow.com.au/

It’s a bit late but there’s also this one:

http://designbuildexpo.com.au/

Trade shows are great because you have your target audience RIGHT THERE. In your case, even if you don’t score Bunnings, Masters or any of the other chains you can get excellent leads, and qualified market information. So long as you’re not just sitting there with a flag and a prayer, that is.

Yes, having a booth at one of these shows can be costly if you take a prime spot and get skinned by a display supplier but if you can get an affordable spot, with the right displays you’ll definitely attract the right attention.

I’d be more than happy to help you with reasonably priced trade show displays.

Take a look at our website

http://www.tacticaldisplays.com.au

Hope this helped and good luck.

~Salmin

Katik
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Salmin,

What should one should consider for trade show. Since you are into the business like to know much about that.

I am planning to take up a stall in a trade show, I have never done one before can you help with you insight some Do’s and Don’t.

Regards,
    Katik.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Katik
    Up

Thanks Jayne really great some great tips :)

The fair is on November, thinking of calling the event organiser tomorrow. As far I seen here no one said putting a stall in a fair is a bad idea, so I am seriously considering to book a stall;).

Cats
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

Personally, I wouldn’t do it. But only because we have done it before, spent a lot of money, and came out with no business. A lot of people attend these shows for something to do, a browse and to get any freebies. I am in a totally different business to you, however, having known others that have spent too much on these expos, the answer from me would be not to do it.
    I’d approach outlets yourself and also look at getting a broker as they only charge a very small percentage and get the job done.
    Don’t go down the track of a Distributor as that is costly and the only one making the money is them. If you do anything with anyone, make sure it is in writing.
    Sorry, but the ones telling you to go to the expo has a vested interest. It may go okay but it’s a big and costly risk, and you could better spend that much money elsewhere.

Best of luck.
    Cat

Katik
    Up

Thanks Cats. You were talking about brokerage, do you have any idea where to find them. I tried couple in internet but it shows business brokers who sell and buy business.

Something like below,
    http://www.corebb.com.au

Are they right persons?

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I exhibit annually at a set of three trade shows, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, but my core business customer has to attend one of these shows to find out about the latest trends in the trophy industry. Some shows are pretty average, some shows go crazy.
    I also go in road trips all over the country and usually do better their than at the show, often my customers are overwhelmed at the shows.
    Personally for your industry I wouldn’t bother with the shows.

nicomambo
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

How much should one expect to pay to join a trade fair?

I know that there are different rates and factors to consider, but for those who have joined, how much did you pay?

@thetenderteam.com.au
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Trade shows worked for me in a previous role, for the purpose of getting contacts on working on them for sales. The most important aspect I think is time management. You need to get the contact and move on to the next person, also, you need to create hype around your stall – a free giveaway etc… You really need to be proactive and manage your time…. Finally, if you can plan long term, suss out the trade show the year before and book for the following year…
    Jason

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

Exhibiting at trade fairs has always worked for me in various industries but they are expensive – you need to do your homework, attend the fair before paying to exhibit or its just pot luck – also your stand needs to stand out.

Biggest thing i think is after the fair you have to follow up your leads!! not just onces but for years – I have given my details at a trade show so many times and been followed up so few times….many people go nuts at the show and then get tired and forget to follow up

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

It is a question that doesn’t really have an accurate yes or no response .. because every trade fair is different.

Your objectives will also determine whether it is worthwhile. Is your main priority to build awareness OR create actual sales at the trade show. Not all events are established to enable immediate ‘at event’ sales.

Check the credentials of the trade show. Ask other exhibitors from past events what ‘sort’ of show it is. Consider the venue and time of year as this may influence the audience participation.

If your audience are retailers such as Bunnings etc. … wouldn’t it be better to get to the buyers directly (ensure you have all the facts and figures and perhaps even a smart online video of product in situ). Don’t just explore the ‘big guys’ .. there are lots of regional suppliers worth checking out.

If you are selling to consumers, then perhaps a relevant trade show would be helpful (select regions where rain tanks are going to be a focus for visitors).

cheers
    Morgan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.