Home Forums Starting your journey Expanding my work to business

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #999707
    Daylah
    Member
    • Total posts: 14

    I’ve been working as part-time cleaning homes and motel/inn since last year. Then, I thought that it’s a good opportunity to turn it into a business. I also plan to take up classes on aged care. My business’ services would cover domestic cleaning services, aged care service and mowing (as my boyfriend plans to work part-time helping me).

    A friend of mine offers to make a website for my business for free but I have to pay for the domain, hosting and theme. My question is: is it worth to spend money for a website when I am just starting or should I stick to posting free ads?

    #1220989
    Dave – FS Concierge
    Moderator
    • Total posts: 2,526

    Hi [USER=115595]@Daylah[/USER],

    If posting ads is working for you, then keep it going.
    If you need more business, then a website could help. Domain $25, Theme might be $40, Hosting as low as $5/mth. Makes for a cheap website that would pay for itself if it gets you a job or two.

    Or start with free ads, see what jobs you’re getting and in 6 months build a website that’s focused on the business you have (rather than building one for the business you think you’ll have, which might be more of a theory at present).

    For example if you find it ends up being mostly aged care work, you can build an aged care website rather than a mixed bag site.

    Good luck!
    Dave

    #1220990
    Daylah
    Member
    • Total posts: 14
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 266882, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi [USER=115595]@Daylah[/USER],

    If posting ads is working for you, then keep it going.
    If you need more business, then a website could help. Domain $25, Theme might be $40, Hosting as low as $5/mth. Makes for a cheap website that would pay for itself if it gets you a job or two.

    Or start with free ads, see what jobs you’re getting and in 6 months build a website that’s focused on the business you have (rather than building one for the business you think you’ll have, which might be more of a theory at present).

    For example if you find it ends up being mostly aged care work, you can build an aged care website rather than a mixed bag site.

    Good luck!
    Dave

    Hello Dave. Thank you for replying!
    When my friend offered to do the website I thought it was a good opportunity since I know making one isn’t easy.

    I posted a free ad on Gumtree and got at least 3 inquiries. Right now, I have a friend who works with me. Anyway, is there any other free website where I can post ads?

    #1220991
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

    Personally I don’t want business via the web, as I find them to be low quality clients. But I know some business’s that exist based on their web presence.

    My thoughts on this are that if you are getting a website for virtually nothing (accept some small ongoings), why not give it a go. What really have you got to loose. BUT, then it depends on your friend as well, are they making you a good free website, or a dodgy free website. What do I mean, if its poorly designed, bad grammar, bad everything it may turn customers away. So it comes down to looking at what you are really getting for free. But if it is quality, why not

    #1220992
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Moderator
    • Total posts: 3,127

    I agree with [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] – if you have a website, make sure it is high quality.

    If you use it eg, put it on your business card, people will assess your quality on the quality of the website.

    My customers have told me that my website wins me a lot of business so a good website is very valuable where your aim is to win new business.

    The next thing to think about is how would you use a site if you had one? eg, hand out business cards or flyers or through advertising (eg, with Facebook or Adwords or would you want people to find you in search?…Google, Bing or is it so you can put a link on Gumtree, Service seeking or other platform?

    Having answers to these questions will help you to define What needs to go into your site and How it needs to turn out.

    Please feel free to ask any questions.

    #1220993
    m4engineers
    Member
    • Total posts: 121

    [USER=115595]@Daylah[/USER] getting a website without a strategy to progress it will be a waste of your time. The only people that will be calling you from your website are people that want to sell you SEO! Just begin with the end in mind … what do you really want at the end of the day?

    #1220994
    Daylah
    Member
    • Total posts: 14

    [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] [USER=78928]@Paul – FS Concierge[/USER] Thanks for the replies. I have seen quite few of his work and they are all professional done. So I’m not a bit worried on how my website would look like even it’s done for free.

    And personally, I feel like I can trust a business more if they have a website. But that’s just me.

    #1220995
    Daylah
    Member
    • Total posts: 14
    m4engineers, post: 266955, member: 100990 wrote:
    [USER=115595]@Daylah[/USER] getting a website without a strategy to progress it will be a waste of your time. The only people that will be calling you from your website are people that want to sell you SEO! Just begin with the end in mind … what do you really want at the end of the day?

    I want my business to grow and maybe a website can help to get more clients.

    #1220996
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Moderator
    • Total posts: 3,127
    Daylah, post: 266961, member: 115595 wrote:
    I want my business to grow and maybe a website can help to get more clients.
    The answer seems to be a slam dunk yes but you still need to figure out how to use it to generate those sales.

    See my post above.

    #1220997
    businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 210
    Daylah, post: 266877, member: 115595 wrote:
    I’ve been working as part-time cleaning homes and motel/inn since last year. Then, I thought that it’s a good opportunity to turn it into a business. I also plan to take up classes on aged care. My business’ services would cover domestic cleaning services, aged care service and mowing (as my boyfriend plans to work part-time helping me).

    A friend of mine offers to make a website for my business for free but I have to pay for the domain, hosting and theme. My question is: is it worth to spend money for a website when I am just starting or should I stick to posting free ads?

    It’s not a bad idea creating a website. You can build a basic one yourself in the meantime for very little if you’re willing to learn how to do it and you can save yourself a steep learning curve by using website platforms like Squarespace.

    Give it a go, you’ll be surprised how easy it is.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.