Home Forums New here? Share your story Exploring the world of luxury beer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    The Ale Tales
    • Total posts: 5

Hello, it’s great to beer here! With all the spare time I’ve had during lockdowns, I’ve decided turn it into a positive and pursue my dream of starting a luxury beer journal – aka a beer blog. I’m yet to launch, still in the preparatory stages:

• Obtaining my Cicerone Certification (beer tasting)
    • Working with a journalist to help plan and set the tone of my writing
    • Website is set up, waiting on branding before opening the rest of the site up.
    • Established relationships with wholesalers and bought/buying the beer I need to taste and write about
    • In the process of taking photos for the two months of social media content I’ve planned out

I’m planning on building a following on social media first, then launch the journal to these followers. If I’m successful in building a readership, I plan to introduce beer subscriptions and specialty packs. My long, long term dream is to one day run luxury beer tours, here and over to Europe.

I’m looking forward to joining the community.

Cheers Luke

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

Hi and welcome Luke,

It sounds like you have put a lot of time and effort into your new venture.

I am curious though about the order of SM first and Journal second.

When reading, I would have thought the other way around.

Care to explain your thinking?

Cheers
    Paul

The Ale Tales
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 270710, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi and welcome Luke,

It sounds like you have put a lot of time and effort into your new venture.

I am curious though about the order of SM first and Journal second.

When reading, I would have thought the other way around.

Care to explain your thinking?

Cheers
    Paul
    Thanks for the warm welcome Paul! I appreciate it. Good question and I agree, it seemed counter intuitive to me as well. But I met a lady who has had great success in building social media audiences and then turning them into customers.

She convinced me by pointing out that my audience will be drawn in by the visual nature of social media and that:

• we can quickly see if there’s interest in the type of content I will be producing,
    • get cross promotion/shares from suppliers,
    • build a social media audience while working on my beer tasting and journal entries instead of afterwards, and
    • once we have a following on social media, we can ‘broadcast’ the journal launch to them and fingers crossed, they will be primed and we get a decent conversion to readers

Our social posts will be quite information rich, so I won’t be surprised if some don’t actually ever read the journal. As long as they are engaged, I guess it doesn’t matter what the medium is. What are your thoughts?

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127
    The Ale Tales, post: 270712, member: 118774 wrote:
    Our social posts will be quite information rich, so I won’t be surprised if some don’t actually ever read the journal. As long as they are engaged, I guess it doesn’t matter what the medium is. What are your thoughts?

I have been thinking about this since you replied and honestly, I am a little surprised. But in a good way.

If the approach you are going to take is evidence based, I am all for it.

There are lot’s of ways to make the publication “sticky” that I have been thinking of too.

A couple of ideas, thought bubbles really, so be warned:

• Taproom Tours – arrange Taproom crawls with the labels by geography.
    • Fantasy Football.. I mean Fantasy Craft Beer League but same concept around the awards festivals.
    • Competitions to win product and name beers
    • Food (Youtube) Channel that pairs food with craft beer.

There are just so many, high quality things you can do.

Please keep us appraised of your progress.

P.S. I would start off with a HTTPS enabled website and think about what platform you would used to sell mystery boxes from.

Proverbially, Cheers
    Paul

The Ale Tales

Thanks Paul, love your ideas! A competition is a great idea that I can do straight off the bat. It should give my following a boost and I imagine will help with building relationships with brewers too!

Tours are definitely on the cards! I’ll store your other ideas until I’m a little more settled in.

Thanks for the tip about the SSL too, I’ve sorted that out this morning. I’ll keep you updated, and I’m sure I’ll have questions as I go – hopefully I learn something useful I can share with others too.

Cheers Luke

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.