Home – New Forums Selling online Face to face sales. Help please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Muges
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    ::

I have an online store which is my business on the side but I also sell a lot of my stock through face to face sales on Gumtree. People see my add, come and pick up the item and pay cash. I don’t give the customers invoices or anything but am keeping record of these transactions. Do I need to print out an invoice for my own keeping of every item I’ve sold through gumtree etc? Am I required to have an invoice number on each one? I’m not registered for GST.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy,

I could be totally wrong, although i was under the impression that if you were a business and trading as such that you are legally required to issue an invoice as people are entitled to: a) claim it; b) for legal warranty purposes; c) exchange or refund if suitable.

Will look forward to seeing others replies as such…

Cheers
    Jason

ps looks like i may be wrong.. although there are requirements for TAX RECEIPTS.. check ATO link here

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Muges
    Up

Thanks Jason but I’m still a little unclear as to weather I’m still required to do this as I’m not registered for GST.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    Muges, post: 192818 wrote:
    Thanks Jason but I’m still a little unclear as to weather I’m still required to do this as I’m not registered for GST.

Apologies,

As said, i am not an authority on this subject and just provided the ATO site for your reference.. It actually say (now ignore your GST registration for a moment) that “When you make a taxable sale of more than $82.50 (including GST), your GST-registered customers need a tax invoice from you to be able to claim a credit for the GST in the purchase price.”

Just thought that would be handy to be aware of… furthermore, i have explored and googled consumer laws which have something similar that you may be interested in reading here. It has a line saying businesses MUST GIVE YOU A RECEIPT for goods over $75.

Personally, you may want to call the consumer rights or your accountant to confirm the legalities of all this as it all ultimately falls on your shoulders and you may want to be 100% sure of what you are doing and that you are abiding by the laws and regulations..

Hope someone else will pop along thought that may be more insightful.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Muges
    Up

Anyone else? Talking to my account on Tuesday so hopefully they have some idea. Thanks again for your help Jason. I appreciate it.

GlensWebDesign
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Howdy

Its always a good habit to get into keeping good records. Your accountant should be able to help you but I would definitely recommend you check out the ATO’s website, it has loads of info on this.

They also have done a YouTube video which is pretty handy for people just starting out in business and gives a great easy to understand run down of what is required for people starting a business (including those who are just starting to semi-sort-of-get into biz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17KAkAYt7U#t=314

Best of luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.