Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Facebook – Business page off personal profile or standalone business page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    madeup+nailed
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

I am in the process of setting up my facebook page for my small business.
    I have a personal profile and can either set up a page off of that or open up a business page on its own.

I’m a bit unsure which one to use. With the page working off my personal profile much of what I do requires me to work in my personal profile and I can’t comment in groups as my business name.

A standalone business name would allow me to set my business identity apart from my personal profile but it has limited functions.

Which path should I take? Thanks!

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

It depends on how you intend to use it.

Check out Facebook’s rules here which stipulate that personal profiles cannot be used for commercial ventures.

Here is some more info that might help.

Hope that helps.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I use both, although strictly speaking my profile is personal BUT I’ve had more leads from that than my Facebook Page. I wrote a blog post about it that might be helpful.

I have a love-hate relationship with my Page and have got rid of it before now as it’s just a time waster. Only reason I’m using one now is for the fun aspect, although with all the constant changes on Facebook I’m starting to find it all a little dull!

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    madeup+nailed, post: 160358 wrote:
    I am in the process of setting up my facebook page for my small business.
    I have a personal profile and can either set up a page off of that or open up a business page on its own.

I’m a bit unsure which one to use. With the page working off my personal profile much of what I do requires me to work in my personal profile and I can’t comment in groups as my business name.

A standalone business name would allow me to set my business identity apart from my personal profile but it has limited functions.

Which path should I take? Thanks!Start a business page attached to your personal profile.

This link is not public. No, you cannot comment in groups as your business page, but that is not what groups are for. They are for people not business. If you wish to create an entirely new profile for business reasons, that is fine, but you need still make it under your name.

As The Copy Chick say’s, there are many reasons why you should not run a business with a personal profile.

Hope this is not too confusing!

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

A business page can only be set-up by someone who has a personal profile – if you set-up a new personal profile just for your business then you are in violation of FB policy and both profiles can be blocked.

However if you do set-up a business page using your own profile it does effectively stand alone – you can comment, post or use FB as either yourself or the page. Also the page has no link to your personal profile to say it belongs to you (unless you tell people) so personal and private are kept separate…

madeup+nailed
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

You can set up a business page independent of a personal profile and it’s not against Facebook rules either. Facebook does expect you to be real though and to provide information on your biz profile but admittedly it does offer less functions that one attached to a personal profile.

However, I like it as you are able to post as your business as opposed to your name which can confuse the punters. This is why I am asking the question but I can see confusion setting in. :)

I think some misunderstood what I wrote.

To clarify: I am not setting up my personal profile as a business page.

I was asking about setting up a business page attached to my personal profile which is a method that a large majority of businesses use and how Facebook prefers you to do it.

But I am trying to decide which one to use and both have their benefits.

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    madeup+nailed, post: 160393 wrote:
    You can set up a business page independent of a personal profile and it’s not against Facebook rules either. Facebook does expect you to be real though and to provide information on your biz profile but admittedly it does offer less functions that one attached to a personal profile.

Ok, this is news to me. Sorry for adding to the confusion!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.