Home Forums Marketing mastery Facebook Dislike Button

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963

Well this is interesting, and haven’t you always wanted one, it will cause a shift in businesses marketing on Facebook.

As recently reported in Power Retail Facebook’s co-founder Mark Zuckerberg confirmed as part of a Q&A session last week that the new functionality was the subject of ongoing trials.

So this could mean that brands could get instant negative attention with Facebook users choosing to “dislike” a post. So it will mean that your content sent to Facebook and social media needs to be carefully considered.

I guess we will see how it all works out if the idea goes forward.

But…truly haven’t you always wanted one?

John

Aleszandro
    • Total posts: 13

It will not be as black and white as a button that says Dislike, especially not because that would be horrible for bullying, etc. It will also not be featured on every post or every page. How I think they will implement it is as follows: you write a post on Facebook and then select whether you want a Like button, or a “respect” button or whatever options they will offer. For example, if you write a post about a family member dying, you don’t necessarily want people to Like it, but you may want them to give condolences or respect. So you select that type of button and post your message.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Aleszandro, post: 221157, member: 70857 wrote:
    It will not be as black and white as a button that says Dislike, especially not because that would be horrible for bullying, etc. It will also not be featured on every post or every page. How I think they will implement it is as follows: you write a post on Facebook and then select whether you want a Like button, or a “respect” button or whatever options they will offer. For example, if you write a post about a family member dying, you don’t necessarily want people to Like it, but you may want them to give condolences or respect. So you select that type of button and post your message.

He does explain it a little in the Q&A and its the first question so is beginning of the Q&A. Your right it is not necessarily a straight “dislike” but from a marketing viewpoint it seems that it will have the same impact.

Should be interesting anyway.

John

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Sounds like a great idea

Jessika Colthurst
    • Total posts: 2

This is a very two sided topic.

Whilst it may be more than helpful in identifying potential unwanted Facebook businesses and people(s) through public opinion multiple factors should be considered.

Bullying tactics could be implemented upon not only individuals but businesses, leaving their reputation tarnish-able when perhaps this is not deserving.

encocreative
    • Total posts: 50

I always thought their idea of only having a “like” was genius.

Don’t like they’re including a dislike, but to be honest, I can’t really speak on the effects. Don’t think it will hurt business sided marketing – will be harder to do PR though, business wise

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889

It’s an interesting one. I saw a news report where they were throwing around ideas like a ‘hug’ button or an ’empathy’ button. Some were thinking that the button was still a positive emotion (rather than a straight ‘thumbs down’) but not a like. It’s amazing how much impact a seemingly simple feature like this can have!!

kangaroojosh
    • Total posts: 64

This is something I am looking forward to especially the success of the feature introduction. I am really happy to see that FB is adapting to their growth. Initially it was all about “me” and “my social circle”. FB is no longer that, its about public issues, changes, opinions, news and much more. So it is evident that many a times it leaves you unable to mark your opinion because you can only like and not liking does not always mean disliking :). Great move, waiting to see how the impact of this is going to be in our lives.

Cheers
    Josh

encocreative
    • Total posts: 50

I think it’s a brutal feature :)

They basically copyrighted the word Like… Think the greatest strengths are in the simplicity and the positivity around it.

bb1
    Participant

Now lets think about this logically, comments are that if you provide a dislike button it could lead to bullying. Sure I can understand that.

My first question just thinking outside the square, and using basics. Say I had 100 friends, and 2 people disliked a comment, do you consider that bullying?

But now just to spin it around, I make the same comment, and under the current scenario with no dislike button, only 2 people like it. Ok does that mean that 98 people dislike it. Now that could be considered bullying because 98 of you didn’t like my comment.

Ok that’s a basic example, but really either a like or dislike button could be taken either way.

bb1
    Participant
    encocreative, post: 221515, member: 69122 wrote:
    They basically copyrighted the word Like… it.

So are you implying that FS are in breach of copyright by having a like button on the forum

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

While Bert waits for answers to those thoughts, I’d like to chip in.

This problem of bullying and Like being an inappropriate word for ‘support’ for someone who is grieving, or really meaning ‘get well’ for a heart attack, is easy to solve.

1. Comment and stop using Like for everything and being lazy! If we did that in offline communications, it would be pretty damn weird. We don’t need an empathy button either. If someone is grieving, TALK to them. Anyone remember 1994 when that radical idea of talking was so popular?!

2. FB should rename the button by chunking up to a higher level of abstraction; something more inclusive, whilst keeping it positive.

G+ had the sense to call it a +1. It can mean anything positive. “I’m with you”, “I agree”, “I’ll support that”, “Thinking of you”, “Get well”, etc. That makes more sense to me. Liking was a very clever idea to increase FB engagement – hugely responsible for it meteoric rise, but it wasn’t a clever idea to call it Like!

bb1
    Participant
    Paul Peace, post: 221533, member: 54653 wrote:

G+ had the sense to call it a +1. It can mean anything positive. “I’m with you”, “I agree”, “I’ll support that”, “Thinking of you”, “Get well”, etc. That makes more sense to me. Liking was a very clever idea to increase FB engagement – hugely responsible for it meteoric rise, but it wasn’t a clever idea to call it Like!

And in line with the original theme off this thread why don’t G+ have a -1 button.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

No need Bert. As my mum used to say, “If you haven’t got anything nice to say, say nothing at all”.

If we really do need to say something, I refer you back to my point 1 above. The option is already there. It’s called talking to one another. Instead of just dumping a Dislike / “I don’t like this” / -1 on someone, we should have the decency to feed back why.

If one of your gardening clients simply said, “I don’t like that” and said no more, how would you feel? I bet you’d probe to find out why so that you can do something about it. Disliking without proper feedback is negative and pointless, both on and offline.

FB isn’t introducing a Dislike button acc. to Zuckerberg as was stated previously. And G+1 is spot on and sufficient.

bb1
    Participant
    Paul Peace, post: 221554, member: 54653 wrote:
    No need Bert. As my mum used to say, “If you haven’t got anything nice to say, say nothing at all”.

Funny that my mum said the same, but than once when she was ripped of by a small business, she also said why didn’t someone tell us how bad they were. In FB’s and G+’s ideal world as it is, we could only give them a like, or nothing. Giving a dislike with no other comment is no worse than giving a like with no other comment

Paul Peace, post: 221554, member: 54653 wrote:
    If we really do need to say something, I refer you back to my point 1 above. The option is already there. It’s called talking to one another. Instead of just dumping a Dislike / “I don’t like this” / -1 on someone, we should have the decency to feed back why.
    Than why do we need a like button, I look at some posts on FB , and they have 50 likes, why didn’t those 50 people say something instead of hitting the like button. Do these 50 people like the whole post or just one little component of it.

I suppose where I am coming from if you have a Like button, you need a dislike button.

I leave the discussion to others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.