Home – New Forums Tech talk Facebook Graphs, search engine in beta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Just got this through on my feed this morning: Facebook is trialling a new product called Graphs; essentially one step towards a search engine.

This article probably explains it better than I can: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/01/facebooks-graph-could-be-ok-cupid-yelp-and-linkedin-all-in-one/267207/.

Aside from the bad name, it is an interesting development.

I wonder how long it will be until optimizing for Graphs becomes part of a Facebook consultants work-load?

– James

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Cool – Facebook search is pretty useless now. It looks like they are taking available of a search niche that Google / Bing have no access to.

Which is a shame, I would like to see graph in my Google search to help me make a decision.

Also interesting is that they are partnering with Bing for other results.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

They lost me on the first line : “the wisdom of your friends”; they’ve obviously never met my friends.

Seriously, I hope this turns out to be useful, it’s a great move by Facebook in my opinion. I think it may extend the social media marketing industry in a big way.
    My one concern is how useful the data will be given how many people like ‘something’ in order to win ‘something else’

i.e. Hopefully it doesn’t mean hundreds more “Like my page for the chance to win an Ipad” adverts, which will render the search useless.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

There were already figures out a couple of years back that more and more users were finding out info via their FB friends rather than Google, so it was only a matter of time before this was implemented by FB. It will be interesting to see how users relate to this relative to Google over the coming months/years.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I’m not convinced. I also read some articles about this new feature this morning. But here’s my take.

Say you have an average of 300 friends. How many do you really care about? How many are really your friends and not just casual acquaintances?

For arguments sake let’s say 30. (seems like a lot to me but I am a bit of a loner!)

Now when you’re searching for local restaurants or what not. You’ll likely get results like “3 of your friends have been to Pizza Hut in Adelaide”. Of those friends – only 1 may actually be someone you care about. AND it’s likely you already know they’ve been to Pizza Hut in Adelaide because they told you / posted it on their wall at the time.

So of what benefit is this feature?

Keen to hear rebuttals…

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 147622 wrote:

Keen to hear rebuttals…

It doesn’t look like it’s limited to just your friends, but to what has been “shared” with you. Some of the demo queries such as “People who like Cycling” imply that it may encompass people outside your own circle.
    i.e. it’ll be limited by peoples’ privacy settings.

Or it could be a great marketing tool for companies who have a lot of ‘likes’. E.g. Coca-Cola has 57,000,000 likes. That’s a pretty good ‘data warehouse’.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 147622 wrote:
    I’m not convinced.
    Well, “you” may not be, but the figures were already showing this to be a growing trend on facebook more than 2 years ago, I would imagine that has increased. And this feature – as mentioned above – would seem to extend it beyond just your friends.

As I said, time will tell just how much it’s used compared to Google, but it seems an obvious and smart move for FB to make… going on user trends, not any one person’s personal opinion.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 147628 wrote:
    Ha, as if FB won’t change that to suit. Google have numerous times with no one blinking basically.
    James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

I guess it is too early to tell the true benefits. The advantage of a beta phase and an enormous user base is you can launch a tool and let it carve its own benefits.

I’m sure this example will be hated by some, but here goes: the iPad (or on a grander scale, Tablets) launched a few years ago to a lot of similar cries of ‘what will I even use it for’. Slowly people used them and eventually formed their own personal benefits. That lead to more habitual use and now it is a widely successful product.

It’s an amazing feat of business if you can make it work. Bring something to the customer that they have never previously needed then slowly work it into their lives to the point where it becomes an essential item.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

I wouldn’t compare it to the iPad, which really did create a whole new genre. Search engines are decades old, FB user were increasingly sourcing information and links to sites from their FB network, so it was really a no brainer. The more pertinent question for shareholders would have been why they didn’t implement something like this.

IncredibleCo
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 147628 wrote:
    It doesn’t look like it’s limited to just your friends, but to what has been “shared” with you. Some of the demo queries such as “People who like Cycling” imply that it may encompass people outside your own circle.

Or it could be a great marketing tool for companies who have a lot of ‘likes’. E.g. Coca-Cola has 57,000,000 likes. That’s a pretty good ‘data warehouse’.

Are you suggesting that the feature could be used to do a search like “find women between 19 – 21 who like coca cola?”

– Gotta love that invasion of privacy!

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 147662 wrote:
    Gotta love that invasion of privacy!
    Umm, welcome to facebook.
    IncredibleCo
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 147669 wrote:
    Umm, welcome to facebook.

Zava I’m noticing a negative pattern to your posts. Please take a look at this link:-

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/guidelines-please-read-before-posting/589-welcome-flying-solo-forums-please-play-nicely.html

And in particular:-

1. The Golden Rule: Respect: We pride ourselves on being the friendliest, most helpful forums around, so please treat your fellow community members with courtesy and respect. While we welcome robust debate and contrary opinions, if a person behaves in a negative, unhelpful and detrimental way we are entitled to ban them from participating.

Cheers.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up

I can certainly see potential for utility but we’ll have to see how well they execute it and whether people actually find it useful.

The article I read mentioned Yelp and Linkedin, as well as Google. I think sites like those first two might feel the pressure from this product before G does.

Meanwhile, G+ continues to gain users and data so they could start offering something similar, or probably already are to some degree with Search Plus Your World.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 147683 wrote:
    Zava I’m noticing a negative pattern to your posts.
    Really? I’m not. :)
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.