Home – New Forums Marketing mastery FaceBook increasingly = fail?…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rex
    • Total posts: 24
    Up
    ::

Pardon the long read but I think this is worth discussing…
    So here’s my question… from a small business perspective is FaceBook tinkering itself towards irrelevance in its drive for profit?
    Let me explain.
    I’ve used a FaceBook Page to promote brand ‘me’ since late September 2011.
    I have around 1,500 fans & I think I do all the right things to make it work as a way of just developing & maintaining my profile.
    That was until recently when FaceBook started messing in mysterious ways with all manner of things…

1) – The NewsFeed. Now unless my ‘fans’ actively interact i.e. – like, comment or share one of my posts, my posts drop-off their NewsFeeds.
    I only noticed this when I found that of the 100+ Pages I like & follow only a very small number were appearing in my feed. It seems that passive interaction i.e. – looking & reading, doesn’t count as interaction to FaceBook.
    Now the problem is you can’t fix this by sending a shout-out to your fans as they no longer get your posts… Catch-22 much…
    But wait! FaceBook do have a solution! I can pay to promote my posts to my fans… not likely FaceBook especially based on my experience under point #2.

2) – FaceBook adverts. My likes have been picked up organically & through running small FaceBook advert campaigns. You know the ads… the little ones on the side of the window.
    Last campaign I ran was quite successful by my book, 5+ likes a day in a steady stream for the month or so I ran the advert.
    So after that one finished I thought I’ll run another & just keep it chugging away.
    First thing I noticed was that they’d dropped the allowable word count for the ad’ by about 6 or 8 words, that’s a big cut in an already small ad’ but I thought I can live with this.
    So then I set the advert’ up. Same demographic, same conditions etc as the previous campaign. Even the same image. Only real difference was the word count but it still said pretty much the same thing albeit more briefly.
    I hit the big run button & let it do it thing.
    A week later… 1 like… I went back & double checked my settings, re-jigged the wording etc & let it loose again.
    Another week of burning money… zero new likes.
    The only conclusion I can draw from this is that FaceBook somehow changed something. Good luck trying to find out what as they are short on supplying info about changes or when they do they just delete the old info & add the new so you can’t compare changes.
    Needless to say I cancelled the campaign & I won’t be using any more.

3) – In a few weeks I’m working on a new product launch. A month ago I set-up the FaceBook Page for it. Don’t bother trying to search for it though.
    It won’t show up in FaceBooks search results.
    Why? I have no idea. Everything is set correctly, it just doesn’t show up.
    So I need some FaceBook help or support…
    Forget it. There is none. It’s just a giant faceless entity. Sure dig hard enough and you find a web-form to send a request for help to but it just gets ignored.
    As a business user who would in this case be paying to use FaceBook through campaigns or promoted posts that’s not good enough.
    So FaceBook had been a key part of our strategy for this new product. I’m now seriously rethinking that.

What are fellow soloists thoughts on the direction of FaceBook & how its changes are impacting on it’s relevance to us?

And just FYI here’s my FB Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adam-Woodhams/156888707734852

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Rex,

My (uneducated) guess is that Facebook has massive financial problems.
    Their IPO was hugely overvalued.
    The poor financial reports were pushed back after the IPO.
    Facebook employees will be able to start selling their shaes in the next couple of months and this could see the sharemarket price dive even further (is it about half of the IPO value now?).

Facebook is still used by millions of people religiously – to connect with family and friends – I even use it for this.
    As a business tool it (seems to me) to have very limited use.

Facebook will keep trying ideas until it can generate income to satisy shareholders. I would assume this will make it less appealing to the people using it to connect with family and friends.
    Saying that I don’t think they will sell out completely – I assume the sharemarket price will evevtually stabilise to a sustainable value with regard to expected growth of income.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Rex, post: 129845 wrote:
    Pardon the long read but I think this is worth discussing…
    So here’s my question… from a small business perspective is FaceBook tinkering itself towards irrelevance in its drive for profit?
    Let me explain.
    I’ve used a FaceBook Page to promote brand ‘me’ since late September 2011.
    I have around 1,500 fans & I think I do all the right things to make it work as a way of just developing & maintaining my profile.
    That was until recently when FaceBook started messing in mysterious ways with all manner of things…

1) – The NewsFeed. Now unless my ‘fans’ actively interact i.e. – like, comment or share one of my posts, my posts drop-off their NewsFeeds.
    I only noticed this when I found that of the 100+ Pages I like & follow only a very small number were appearing in my feed. It seems that passive interaction i.e. – looking & reading, doesn’t count as interaction to FaceBook.
    Now the problem is you can’t fix this by sending a shout-out to your fans as they no longer get your posts… Catch-22 much…
    But wait! FaceBook do have a solution! I can pay to promote my posts to my fans… not likely FaceBook especially based on my experience under point #2.

2) – FaceBook adverts. My likes have been picked up organically & through running small FaceBook advert campaigns. You know the ads… the little ones on the side of the window.
    Last campaign I ran was quite successful by my book, 5+ likes a day in a steady stream for the month or so I ran the advert.
    So after that one finished I thought I’ll run another & just keep it chugging away.
    First thing I noticed was that they’d dropped the allowable word count for the ad’ by about 6 or 8 words, that’s a big cut in an already small ad’ but I thought I can live with this.
    So then I set the advert’ up. Same demographic, same conditions etc as the previous campaign. Even the same image. Only real difference was the word count but it still said pretty much the same thing albeit more briefly.
    I hit the big run button & let it do it thing.
    A week later… 1 like… I went back & double checked my settings, re-jigged the wording etc & let it loose again.
    Another week of burning money… zero new likes.
    The only conclusion I can draw from this is that FaceBook somehow changed something. Good luck trying to find out what as they are short on supplying info about changes or when they do they just delete the old info & add the new so you can’t compare changes.
    Needless to say I cancelled the campaign & I won’t be using any more.

3) – In a few weeks I’m working on a new product launch. A month ago I set-up the FaceBook Page for it. Don’t bother trying to search for it though.
    It won’t show up in FaceBooks search results.
    Why? I have no idea. Everything is set correctly, it just doesn’t show up.
    So I need some FaceBook help or support…
    Forget it. There is none. It’s just a giant faceless entity. Sure dig hard enough and you find a web-form to send a request for help to but it just gets ignored.
    As a business user who would in this case be paying to use FaceBook through campaigns or promoted posts that’s not good enough.
    So FaceBook had been a key part of our strategy for this new product. I’m now seriously rethinking that.

What are fellow soloists thoughts on the direction of FaceBook & how its changes are impacting on it’s relevance to us?

And just FYI here’s my FB Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adam-Woodhams/156888707734852

Hi Adam,

1. Facebook have been doing this for a long time – if every post showed up in everyone’s news feed it would be so crowded as to be unusable. The promote option is a quick way to increase the number of view the post gets.

2. Have you exhausted that demographic? Or have the people you are advertising to seen you ad already and decided ‘It’s not for me? Short sharp Facebook campaigns work better. You might look to try something different. Variation is the spice of life. People have also become more discerning about liking FB pages.

3. How many likes does the page have? If it’s brand new it might not show up in the search results. The more likes the more likely you are to to be found in the search results.

I would change your Facebook URL – it gives it a more professional look.

Facebook know that to be profitable, it needs to get business on board, both small and large.

ray_223, post: 129853 wrote:
    As a business tool it (seems to me) to have very limited use.Tell that to the online glasses store that had over 40,000 people respond to their offer.

I think Facebook for business can work, but it requires a strategy, creativity, and a budget.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Competing with FB ads can be a tough one, but the fundamentals of FB marketing remain pretty much the same for free account users. It’s not all about visibility but engagement. As for FB advertising, I agree it requires more caution and careful planning than AdWords.

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 129858 wrote:
    “Tell that to the online glasses store that had over 40,000 people respond to their offer.”

I think Facebook for business can work, but it requires a strategy, creativity, and a budget.

Facebook is amazing as a business tool.

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/9-facebook-marketing-success-stories-you-should-model/

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Bring on Google + !!!! 😎

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    My Wedding Concierge, post: 130281 wrote:
    Bring on Google + !!!! 😎

HAHA, let me know if you work out what makes G+ tick,, :)

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Facebook have definately been having a hard time lately, I think they are still a few years away from figuring out how to monetize their members.
    Maybe one day..

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 130305 wrote:

All I know is that it all of the features that are on Facebook, plus a lot of other really awesome ones which AREN’T on Facebook. It’s probably the most enjoyable SM experience I’ve ever had, the one problem is that people are too heavily invested in FB to make the switch.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I’ve really noticed lately that I don’t seem to get any updates from pages I’ve liked. I forgot all about them until I checked them out manually. It would be gut wrenching if you’d invested heavily on building up up likes I’m sure. Better off getting people’s email address I think.

BWFSB
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 130305 wrote:

Google+ seems to be dragging its feet! They need to connect individual pages to Plus Pages and biggest of all they need to roll-out their API

Mortgages In Focus
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

I have been marketing online for a long time. I have tested FB in all different ways. To be honest it works for some things and not for others.

To sell services and products that do not relate to the social aspect of peoples lives I feel FB does not work. However if you work in more social products and services your success rate will be greater.

For me most of my clients come from other areas of the internet and most of it is unpaid marketing.

Just my view…

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

We cannot do anything with that changes on Facebook, all I think of is that we need to know how to adapt to those and use it in on our advantage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.