Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Facebook Page Changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::
    John Debrincat, post: 107968 wrote:
    As has been quoted so often before – “Change is your friend and not the enemy so embrace it….”

Why is change your friend? It’s only your friend if you have no existing investment to lose.

In my experience, the majority of business owners, individuals, staff, you name it all underestimate the cost of change in what ever it may be (not just IT)….why you think gov departments and every big org still run Windows XP?

On a personal level it helps to accept change, as it is inevitable. On a purely financial level, hell no, most people in the market fail to factor in the costs…

For example…I could put around all day keeping up with facebooks changes or I could invest my time into copywriting skills….those skills will keep working…and working…and working…and then when I’m 50 and I’m a really good copywriter….those skills and investment will still be paying off……facebook…soz….timeline will be some other err…time vampire……and Mr and Mrs ‘Too much Supply and not enough demand’ young person can do it better than you because they’re not encumbered by useless crap in your brain…

In conclusion…wise person acknowledges change and stays the hell away from it… :)

JohnSheppard
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 107968 wrote:
    As has been quoted so often before – “Change is your friend and not the enemy so embrace it….”

Why is change your friend? It’s only your friend if you have no existing investment to lose.

In my experience, the majority of business owners, individuals, staff, you name it all underestimate the cost of change in what ever it may be (not just IT)….why you think gov departments and every big org still run Windows XP?

On a personal level it helps to accept change, as it is inevitable. On a purely financial level, hell no, most people in the market fail to factor in the costs…

For example…I could put around all day keeping up with facebooks changes or I could invest my time into copywriting skills….those skills will keep working…and working…and working…and then when I’m 50 and I’m a really good copywriter….those skills and investment will still be paying off……facebook…soz….timeline will be some other err…time vampire……and Mr and Mrs ‘Too much Supply and not enough demand’ young person can do it better than you because they’re not encumbered by useless crap in your brain…

In conclusion…wise person acknowledges change and stays the hell away from it… :)

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 108009 wrote:

I like that :)

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

I like that :)

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Why is change your friend?

Change is a fact of life and if you ignore it the result will be that you will miss out on the opportunity that it might bring. Does every change mean effort or cost? Of course not stupid to think so. But if you are so time poor that you cannot assess each change opportunity then you have a bigger problem than the change itself.

why you think gov departments and every big org still run Windows XP?

Corporations and government create a SOE (Standard Operating Environment) typically these are contractually connected to suppliers and the bureaucracy is an inhibitor. But having said that we see less of an issue in large corporations for change today and most are very proactive.

All that means is that you potentially miss out on the competitive advantage that change may offer. We have seen that clearly on the retail sector with our large retailers refusing to embrace the changes to online retail at their own peril.

I have been in the IT industry and in business for more than 40 years and believe me when I say “change is your friend”.

John

John Debrincat
    Up
    Why is change your friend?

Change is a fact of life and if you ignore it the result will be that you will miss out on the opportunity that it might bring. Does every change mean effort or cost? Of course not stupid to think so. But if you are so time poor that you cannot assess each change opportunity then you have a bigger problem than the change itself.

why you think gov departments and every big org still run Windows XP?

Corporations and government create a SOE (Standard Operating Environment) typically these are contractually connected to suppliers and the bureaucracy is an inhibitor. But having said that we see less of an issue in large corporations for change today and most are very proactive.

All that means is that you potentially miss out on the competitive advantage that change may offer. We have seen that clearly on the retail sector with our large retailers refusing to embrace the changes to online retail at their own peril.

I have been in the IT industry and in business for more than 40 years and believe me when I say “change is your friend”.

John

JohnSheppard
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 108016 wrote:
    Corporations and government create a SOE (Standard Operating Environment) typically these are contractually connected to suppliers and the bureaucracy is an inhibitor.

How do you propose to run a large organisation without bureaucracy? It exists independent of change….

Contracts exist to reduce risk. Change = risk…Risk demands higher return on investment. If you are in a market where everyone is aware of that and refuses to undercut each other, well yeah I guess it’s no problem….

You also potentially miss out on competitive advantage by actively not changing. I would argue the retail sector resists on-line because it erodes their profit margins and they have other investments to protect…i.e. it is more profitable for them to resist….

Anyway, you may well be right from a marketing perspective. From a personal knowledge perspective. I believe it is smarter to learn fundamentals, laws and principles, and do your utmost to avoid learning transient information……mostly because change is inevitable and one only has so much energy…

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Corporations and government create a SOE (Standard Operating Environment) typically these are contractually connected to suppliers and the bureaucracy is an inhibitor.

How do you propose to run a large organisation without bureaucracy? It exists independent of change….

Contracts exist to reduce risk. Change = risk…Risk demands higher return on investment. If you are in a market where everyone is aware of that and refuses to undercut each other, well yeah I guess it’s no problem….

You also potentially miss out on competitive advantage by actively not changing. I would argue the retail sector resists on-line because it erodes their profit margins and they have other investments to protect…i.e. it is more profitable for them to resist….

Anyway, you may well be right from a marketing perspective. From a personal knowledge perspective. I believe it is smarter to learn fundamentals, laws and principles, and do your utmost to avoid learning transient information……mostly because change is inevitable and one only has so much energy…

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

My 2 cents: Change is as good as a holiday. We are all evolving and looking to better our lives in any way. I like change – it lets me learn something new and keeps the little grey cells occupied.

The new Facebook for pages? I kind of like it. Already moved on to the new timeline.

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

My 2 cents: Change is as good as a holiday. We are all evolving and looking to better our lives in any way. I like change – it lets me learn something new and keeps the little grey cells occupied.

The new Facebook for pages? I kind of like it. Already moved on to the new timeline.

John Debrincat
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 108083 wrote:
    How do you propose to run a large organisation without bureaucracy? It exists independent of change…. Contracts exist to reduce risk. Change = risk…Risk demands higher return on investment. If you are in a market where everyone is aware of that and refuses to undercut each other, well yeah I guess it’s no problem….

Hi John from a corporate structure and management viewpoint many large enterprises are doing away with layers of bureaucracy because they have found that it inhibits growth and the ability to adapt. So companies as diverse as IBM, Google, British Telecom and others have flattened management structures to allow for faster decisions and flexibility. It can only be accomplished with the use of technology and it also results in loss of jobs which we see often. Good or bad I don’t really know, but inevitable.

Contracts have never reduced risk they are there to provide a way to manage the risk resulting from failure to deliver or poor results.

The retail sector margins for online sales are actually far higher than the margins for in store sales. Some commodities like electronics (TVs, DVD etc) have come under a lot of pricing pressure but that is both in store and online. The larger retailers that have been online for a while have less infrastructure and sometimes shorter supply lines for online sales.

The issues for retail in adoption of online are, as you said, more around protection of investment and the overall model. From a community viewpoint it is about jobs and personal service.

I do agree that having the core knowledge and skills is fundamental and very important to success in any career or business. But ignoring those little (or big) changes that occur, like ignoring the temporary detour, may end you up in a place you really don’t want to be.

How did Facebook Page Changes lead to this?

Hope you have a good week end.

John

John Debrincat
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 108083 wrote:
    How do you propose to run a large organisation without bureaucracy? It exists independent of change…. Contracts exist to reduce risk. Change = risk…Risk demands higher return on investment. If you are in a market where everyone is aware of that and refuses to undercut each other, well yeah I guess it’s no problem….

Hi John from a corporate structure and management viewpoint many large enterprises are doing away with layers of bureaucracy because they have found that it inhibits growth and the ability to adapt. So companies as diverse as IBM, Google, British Telecom and others have flattened management structures to allow for faster decisions and flexibility. It can only be accomplished with the use of technology and it also results in loss of jobs which we see often. Good or bad I don’t really know, but inevitable.

Contracts have never reduced risk they are there to provide a way to manage the risk resulting from failure to deliver or poor results.

The retail sector margins for online sales are actually far higher than the margins for in store sales. Some commodities like electronics (TVs, DVD etc) have come under a lot of pricing pressure but that is both in store and online. The larger retailers that have been online for a while have less infrastructure and sometimes shorter supply lines for online sales.

The issues for retail in adoption of online are, as you said, more around protection of investment and the overall model. From a community viewpoint it is about jobs and personal service.

I do agree that having the core knowledge and skills is fundamental and very important to success in any career or business. But ignoring those little (or big) changes that occur, like ignoring the temporary detour, may end you up in a place you really don’t want to be.

Hope you have a good week end.

John

MAli
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

I’m hesitant about this change as on my personal page nothing is in order but we’ll see how we go. Change can sometimes be a good thing.

MAli
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

I’m hesitant about this change as on my personal page nothing is in order but we’ll see how we go. Change can sometimes be a good thing.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 108112 wrote:

haha, because facebook changes all the time :) I’m not a facebook user much, but it seems every time I log in, something has changed…

I hear what you are saying though. I suppose it’s just important to pad your margins enough to support the cost of change. I think it’s something easy to forget.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.