Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Facebook page for business.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    ::

Having just set up a WP blog-as-website I thought all was well. Then I had a session with a mentor and she said that it was imperative that I set up a FB page as well.

I took her advice and set up my page. It took longer to do this one page on FB with the grand total of one post than it did to set up an 8 page website on WP complete with widgets/images/posts/pages/headers.

Are there any tutorials not run by FB which explain step by step how to maintain a separation between one’s personal page and one’s business page? I find that I can’t even risk commenting on or liking other business pages now in case it posts under my personal account – FB just seems to swing between accounts randomly.

Also – I went to add things like a “like” button and other “social plugins” (that’s the whole point right?) and found that it required me to switch back to my personal account to do this. But I don’t want them on my personal account – just my business page.

Thank you for any advice –
    Brain-gone-to-fuzz.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Facebook certainly does have its “moments” *rolls eyes*

I’m not sure you’re aware that in the top right of your FB page there is a button called “Account”. If you click this it will allow you to switch between profiles and also see if your logged in as your personal or business profile. Once you know which profile you’re using, you can post according to what suits your needs.

Meanwhile, if you’re wanting to add the “like” buttons and other features to a website or blog to link to your FB business page, you will need to access it with your personal profile, but you’ll be able to enter your business profile for the redirection. Usually you’ll need to put the business page name in the code generated and you don’t need to be logged in as that page to do it.

If you Google “how to add a facebook like button” (or whatever), you’ll usually find a lot of articles that aren’t written by FB which are much easier to understand. There’s even video tutorials you can follow.

Good luck with your page :)

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up
    JaneB, post: 90558 wrote:
    Having just set up a WP blog-as-website I thought all was well. Then I had a session with a mentor and she said that it was imperative that I set up a FB page as well.

I took her advice and set up my page. It took longer to do this one page on FB with the grand total of one post than it did to set up an 8 page website on WP complete with widgets/images/posts/pages/headers.

Are there any tutorials not run by FB which explain step by step how to maintain a separation between one’s personal page and one’s business page? I find that I can’t even risk commenting on or liking other business pages now in case it posts under my personal account – FB just seems to swing between accounts randomly.

Also – I went to add things like a “like” button and other “social plugins” (that’s the whole point right?) and found that it required me to switch back to my personal account to do this. But I don’t want them on my personal account – just my business page.

Thank you for any advice –
    Brain-gone-to-fuzz.

Hi Jane,

There is quite a difference between personal account vs business pages on FB. When you have your personal FB account you can comment, like whatever you find out there. When you have your Facebook page – it won’t allow you to like or comment on other business Facebook pages. So if you like something – it stays on your personal account and doesn’t go to your Facebook page.

Hope this helps.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

It seems that a little while ago Facebook suddenly realised a lot of people were only using FB for businesses/pages etc – but, it was designed and intended to be a social medium – so, they ‘demand’ you have an actual person, with a real name etc associated in order to use any ‘business’ feature – which, I think (not being an expert, but best I can figure) is a part of the reason it restricts what your business can actually do and switches to you personally…

“Technically” they want us to have business PAGES not business Profiles – so a “page” can’t comment and do things really because it’s just a page – only the person behind the page can.

It’s definitely annoying – but, is something that a bit of time on there and you kind of get used to ;)

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Neill
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

You should go into YouTube and search for Facebook for Business or similar to see a number of videos.

Regards, Neill

JaneB
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 90566 wrote:
    you will need to access it with your personal profile, but you’ll be able to enter your business profile for the redirection.

Thanks – very helpful info.

JaneB
    Up
    bridiej, post: 90576 wrote:
    There’s some good advice on these blogs:

http://www.thevirtualpersonalassistant.com/blog/
    http://www.bizeezvirtualsolutions.com/blog-2/

Appreciated – I’ll be pinned by the screen reading.

Patto
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Hi Jane,

this is a working progress (pdf), but you are welcome to read through..

here’s the link

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

A few of the responses here are a little outdated.

Facebook has allowed users greater ability to separate their business and personal Facebook uses – that includes being able to like another business page, comment on it’s wall / photos etc from your business page (not from your personal page).

As the copy Chick said, up on the top right under “account” there is an option to
    “use Facebook as page” – whenever you are on their for business, simply do that and you can be safe all your likes and comments will be through the business page.

(It is quite evident when you are using Facebook as a “page” as it will look different to your regular profile).

Simply go to the same place (under account) to switch back to personal.

– Jake

JaneB
    Up

Hi Jake
    Yes I quickly realised that there are a heap of youtubes and online tutorials from early this year which are now out of date. If it’s over a week old it’s probably out of date.

I did slip in under the radar and get my domain name as the name of my FB page.

My page is sorted now – although I did give up on the Welcome/landing page – and I’ve figured out the switching of accounts.

I really dislike FB even more. It feels as if it’s in the hands of fickle adolescents.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I agree, I’m liking Facebook less and less, too many changes and trying to make it like other social networks.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

It certainly is a bit frustrating with all the changes and applications that don’t work properly :(

If it wasn’t for the other benefits I get from it and the leads it generates, I’d think I’d be reconsidering it’s use.

It could definitely be much better.

justinagar
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

When you create a facebook page, it looks more professional with an FBML landing page.

Peapod
    • Total posts: 57
    Up

I have a Facebook page for my business, but I don’t really understand why so many people think it’s so important. It hasn’t generated me any business AT ALL. Sure, it’s been nice for people to come and like my page and look at some samples of my work, but it hasn’t actually gotten me any solid business. I don’t understand the huge emphasis on social media. If anything, I’m finding that the more “conservative” methods are still more effective than online networks. That’s just been my experience, anyway…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.