Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Facebook Reach

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up
    ::
    IncredibleCo, post: 203568 wrote:
    AmberS – Check your own Facebook business page. There are two buttons over your cover image. One says like(d) the other says following. You can like a page and also not be following it.

When you promote your page through Facebook, you’re only paying for likes. Not followers. Essentially pointless.

And when you click on like, the following button gets a tick. You can’t click on following until you have liked a company. But you can unfollow while still liking – but this is a separate action. If what you said was the case, then no one who had liked a business page would see organic posts and be able to interact with them unless they kept going back to the business page. I simply ‘like’ many businesses, often those I see as promoted posts and get their content in my feed.
    Test it out, I just clicked the like button on an Emirates sponsored post. When I then go to the actual Emirates page, I have liked and am following them.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

Well I didn’t do your due diligence when I read the original article. That said I still think it warrants further testing.

Personally I have over 750, genuine paid for likes and yet when I post something – only 20 odd people ever see it.

When Matthew said that he gets similar results but on occasion one of his posts might be seen by as many as 200 people. That’s down to those 20 odd people simply liking or sharing that particular post. Surely if he has 1500 likes then the BASE LEVEL should be around 1500 and then on top of that if people share or like that post be more.

The whole Facebook business model needs work. Yes marketing costs money – but Facebook are selling one thing and delivering another…

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

I guess I would say that Facebook has been quite upfront around the reach of your posts and that not all of your followers will see everything. They couldn’t possible serve everything to everyone or our feeds would become crazy and the personal posts and photos would be lost in the business posts.

The more a follower interacts with you, commenting, liking posts and sharing, the more regularly they see your posts in their feed. So the more engaging and interesting your content is, the more people interact, the greater your organic reach.

Facebook isn’t offering a free advertising service to businesses, they are offering a social network to the people using it, so their algorithms are aimed at giving the end user the content they want to see. If people complain about the sort of content they see, they really only have themselves to blame as it is really personalized. For businesses, that’s why you can pay to be seen, why should we be given free advertising?
    Amber

JenG
    • Total posts: 133
    Up

Exactly. I haven’t found Facebook to be the great saviour in fact like many, (I suspect,) I have a love/hate relationship with the medium. I wouldn’t like to be without Facebook but begrudge the amount of time and energy I put into it for little return. But there IS a return and all I can say is, thank goodness I’m not paying wages or rent.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 203528 wrote:
    I’ve spent $200 on FB in the last month. 2 campaigns running for 2 days each. One was to advertise our “christmas newsletter” the other was to advertise a blog post that we did.

Oddly, $100 budget only gets charged at $78 by Facebook Ireland (I’m keeping that to myself, especially since we get stuff all traffic from it)

I think we got about 6 likes and 2 shares from $200.

Of course we’re very new outside of eBay so every like we can buy at the moment is helping, but I don’t like paying $18 each for them!

I know that this is an old thread, but funny I was listening to the radio this morning, and you can buy 15,000 likes for $300.00 or 1 Rupea each. Beats paying $18.00

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    bb1, post: 204282 wrote:
    I know that this is an old thread, but funny I was listening to the radio this morning, and you can buy 15,000 likes for $300.00 or 1 Rupea each. Beats paying $18.00

Chuckle chuckle… yep.

Facebook does not like that and claims it is illigal and you might loose our account, if you do use Like Factories. Yet it seems that facebook paid adverts are somehow involved in using like factories.

As you have pointed out before, likes do not pay the bills. Like is not necessary a long term engagement. I see it more as a fingerprint, click and move on.

I yet have to see a good consistent ROI of Likes versus increase in revenue. Not sure if there is actually one.

SB1Design
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    bb1, post: 204282 wrote:

Yes, there is quite a few of these deals available, I would certainly stay away from them however. And what’s point of 15,000 likes if you do not get a single bit of engagement from it?

To add to the overall discussion, I think a Facebook Page can benefit any business if used the right way.

The important aspect is to post interesting content that will entertain and/or inform your audience. FB business page owners should also mix there own (created) content along with the reposting of other relevant/appropriate content.

If you can spin a good bit of link bait and have that connect to your business in some way, you will get more eyes on your product / service. I have had some great success (i.e increased traffic) with carefully considered FB posts that link back to business sites.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi All,
    It seems to me there are certain issues to do with using Facebook as a communication medium that are ignored or not understood. If folk are coming from a search engine generic or paid links referrals perspective it is possible there are big gaps in their expectations.

Some thoughts for your consideration:

1. Facebook is primarily an entertainment medium.

2. Facebook ads are therefore more like advertising in specialty magazines. Your ad needs to over-power the user’s focus on a different part of the screen. The viewer is unlikely to have a need for your product/service when it displays. This is completely different for search engine ad users.

3. Following commercial Fb pages. Most follow company Fb pages to get discounts, freebies, coupons or competitions. The research says that when businesses stop these offers, people stop following them.

4. Check out the Fb potential customer profile. Is it relevant to your type of business?

5. Fb is probably more useful for consumer products/services that are “trendy”. Fashion, fitness, plastic surgery, entertainment are examples.

6. Fb is probably more valuable as a tool to generate more revenue from existing customers than as one to attract new customers.

7. You are likely to generate most benefit from Fb when you use it to refer visitors to your own website

8. You are likely to obtain best value when you publish a page on your website specifically for the Fb referrers of a specific Fb promotion.

I’m constantly assessing different online markets. That includes the use of social media and search engines. What amazes me is the huge investment in social media over many years for very little return is implemented by many small businesses.

This is not a criticism of social media rather one of an observation about how poorly its communication attributes and characteristics are used by so many businesses.
    Regs,
    JohnW

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Some interesting observations in this discussion – thank you.

I’ve almost given up using my FB business page for business and I certainly wouldn’t spend a brass razoo on advertising there. I’m close to closing down the page and spending valuable time on real work instead.

I try to find time to ban unengaged likers (I’m a musician – a Brazilian bikie likes my page? Pssssht….out he goes) .
    Reason? Some colleagues and I did an experiment across four continents and found that FB only shows posts to about 20% of likers – up to 30% with more engaging posts. So, logic suggests that unengaged likers are just going to dilute the pool of engaged likers.

The only bit of use FB provides is to lob posts on my home page about events around the world in my field. Even then, I miss out on most of it because if you like a page, there is no guarantee that you get their posts.

Devan
    • Total posts: 57
    Up

I know this may be off topic, but we have noticed a decline in the effectiveness of our Facebook ads in the past 3 years (Yes, we have been using Facebook advertising for our various business pages for THAT long!! :) )

Recently, we jumped aboard Twitter Ads, and am seeing pretty good click through rates to our links with it.

I put it down to being a new feature with the platform. As with Facebook, while it is still new and shiny and people are still getting used to it, the pool won’t be as cluttered and you have a better chance of getting noticed.

As soon as every man and his dog jumps in with ads, then the signal to noise ration goes way down and effectiveness with it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.