Home – New Forums Tech talk Facebook status updates on to G+?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

Got a question for you. Flying Solo’s most engaged social media audience are over on Facebook. This is also where we put the most effort, so that makes sense. We’ve stuff happening over on Twitter too which is great, and a growing presence on Pinterest.

We’ve dipped our toe into G+ as well. I was wondering whether anyone knew of a way to easily copy/duplicate Flying Solo’s FB posts onto G+? Or from Twitter to G+? Obviously we can do this manually but a time saving nifty widget would be fab.

All advice appreciated.

Sam

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    sam_leader, post: 127490 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Got a question for you. Flying Solo’s most engaged social media audience are over on Facebook. This is also where we put the most effort, so that makes sense. We’ve stuff happening over on Twitter too which is great, and a growing presence on Pinterest.

We’ve dipped our toe into G+ as well. I was wondering whether anyone knew of a way to easily copy/duplicate Flying Solo’s FB posts onto G+? Or from Twitter to G+? Obviously we can do this manually but a time saving nifty widget would be fab.

All advice appreciated.

SamI am not sure it’s possible as Google + doesn’t allow third parties to access to its API.

Which makes sense, because mass sharing and auto posts is may save a few seconds but decreases the overall quality of content on a social network.

I’m a big fan of curating your content to where you’re posting it.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

I didn’t know that about the APIs, Matt, but am not surprised to hear it!

MatthewKeath, post: 127491 wrote:
    I’m a big fan of curating your content to where you’re posting it.

In an earlier post, you advised a member struggling with spare time for social media “Craft a Facebook post, use the same one for Google + 5 m” – does this mean you think it’s okay to duplicate posts across the channels, but only in moderation?

I reckon we would ‘curate’ it to the extent that we wouldn’t do a ‘copy all’, instead we’d choose what we think would work well on G+ too. But I’d assume (maybe incorrectly) that the G+ crowd aren’t likely to dabble in Facebook or vice versa so the likelihood of seeing things across both networks is minimal, particularly while our audience over on G+ is so small. Plus if we went down this route, I reckon we’d avoid promoting G+ on Facebook!

What we post on FB is definitely an authentic Flying Solo voice so I want to explore the viability of ‘speaking’ in that same voice, and yes, saying the same things across the networks.

All interesting stuff!

Sam

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi Sam,

Yep, that’s what I would do – content can be shared across all social media channels – like articles, questions etc., stuff I see you do on FB, but also crafting posts only for specific networks.

For example, Google + users like more tech related content, while Linkedin is much more b2b. Facebook can straddle both worlds – the content is more general and not so tech or business specific.

Of course, it’s all about testing and experience, just like when you jumped into FB after the boards have been running for quite a while. I bet you know a lot about what floats Facebook’s users boat by now!

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Pretty sure you can use hootsuite to do that.

CarlaM
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I use hootsuite to send posts to twitter/fb/linked in.

I don’t always send a post to all three. I like to have unique content on each.

And like previous poster tailor it. After all, fb isn’t limited to 140 char
    And a fb post on twitter is cut off. I don’t think it acts as a teaser, just as annoying for the reader.

Anyhoo, back to the thread question… getting posts onto G+.
    Hootsuite says it can connect to twitter and push them through.
    It has an option to set up G+. However, no matter how I try it is not successful in connecting to G+.

My webguru tried too. No luck. :(

Wedding Conc, if you find someone who has had success let me know their technique.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Twitter is introducing restrictions on third party apps accessing their API too. Expect to see more of this as the various social networks try to work out how to monetise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.