Home – New Forums Tech talk Facebooking and blogging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JenG
    • Total posts: 133
    Up
    ::

My website has been live since late April and not long after I set up a Baby Jewels facebook page. I am finding it hard going knowing what to do with this page. I have had a few sales as a direct result of my facebook page, so I know it’s worthwhile. I am told I should also have a blog. Now, I’m a complete newbie in this area and wouldn’t know where to start. Any advice very welcome.

Meantime, with my facebook page, I have no idea how to attract people to the page. My website is undergoing a complete redesign which should go live in 2-3 weeks and will have the facebook link on the site, which currently I don’t. But I am wondering how this works, how do I get people to my facebook page and then to my site? If they go to my site first, why would they want to go to my facebook page? Google has not yet picked up my facebook page. How does anybody actually find it? Most people so far, have discovered it from posts put up by friends on their own facebook pages.

So far, I am posting albums of photos of my products, running a small competition, encouraging discussions, and showcasing certain items on the Wall. It’s been tedious but I try to change something or add something every day or so, for very little result.

Do I need Twitter? I feel out of my depth with this social networking stuff (from the wrong generation!) so I’m hoping some more experienced Soloists can enlighten me!

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Hi JenG, I am no great expert on social media and marketing as such, if anyone tells you they are they are probably kidding you. It seems to me this is something you need to just keep plugging away at, certainly don’t expect to succeed overnight.

Like you say, I am from a different generation and it’s often the whole concept, the big picture I need to grasp before it all falls into place. The prevailing wisdom though is not to give up. I found doing a lot of reading up/listening and then apply that wisdom in a way you find comfortable in your chosen field seems to work best. Don’t get stressed out because it isn’t working for you the way it does for someone else or the way they say you should do it. This isn’t a formula thing, it is you communicating to your target market/niche in a way that conveys your personality and passion.

Now, enough of the theory, these are some of my thoughts. I am running a website (soon to be firstly revamped and a little later expanded), a monthly newsletter and a Facebook business page. I will likely go for Twitter and a number of other contact points around the web in the near future. All these have been good in building contact. I had considered a blog but eventually dropped the idea when I realised Facebook is basically a blog anyway so why make more work for myself.

All these have value in different ways. Facebook to me is more like the sort of discussion you get on this forum, you create a following of friends. Twitter is much more open and a bit like fishing, throwing bits of bait out to generate a response – which may be them linking to you site etc.. Someone said it is all just like the old local community, face to face, friends in your street thing, but now on a much bigger and even world wide scale – it’s still community building. Just be yourself and have fun.

Kellie Dobbie
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

As a newbie I would recommend you engage the services of a professional SEO company as they have the strategies and plans to increase traffic to your site.

MarketingHQ
    • Total posts: 142
    Up

Hi JenG,

I think a good start for you would be to educate yourself a little on how blogging, social media etc all fit into a potential marketing plan for your business. My suggestion is to read a book called The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott before you do anything.

You’ll find this will bring you up to speed on all the things you have mentioned in your post and give you some perspective how to use them as part of your marketing strategy.

Cheers

Chris

JenG
    Up

Thank you so much for your responses. I most definitely won’t give up and will continue seeking advice and will read the book. I have so much to learn. To me, it is as exciting as I find it nerve-wracking!

Jen

BlueCrane
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hey Jen, definitely set up a blog, it’s much easier to get traffic on a blog than facebook. When setting up a blog there are several different platforms you can choose from, but we recommend wordpress for all of our clients. While blogger is owned by google and does tend to get preference in search results, the SEO capabilities of wordpress are fantastic.

If you are looking to generate more hits on your facebook page, try using facebook ads. It’s actually a very cleverly set up system that allows you to reach your target market easily while sticking to a small budget.

If you have any more questions about SEO or are looking to hire someone to do all of this for you, Please feel free to shoot us a message at [email protected] =)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

The good part about going a wordpress blog (on your own domain!!) is you can also crosspost to Facebook, LinkedIn and also Twitter.

This means fresh stuff there automatically, plus you can then go and do some specific stuff on each as you have time and need.

JenG
    Up

The book, The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott, has been ordered. I hope I understand it. I am still confused by the whys and hows, moreso the whys. There is something vital I am not grasping. Hopefully the book will enlighten me!

Jen

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

Yes, you need a blog! I’m a big fan of blogging as a way to attract people to your site and have them remember you – however it has to be as part of your overall marketing strategy. Don’t go putting all your time and effort into a blog without knowing what you’re aiming for.

Facebook – meh….. I have a facebook business page that I keep separate from my personal facebook. It updates with my blog posts automatically, plus I’ll post other promotions etc from time to time. I don’t put a lot of effort into it, but people expect it. I could probably do a lot more with it, one day I’ll get around to it.

Twitter can be good or a huge time waster. I’ve made some great friends on Twitter, but for sales it’s not been so good.

I’m going to go and find a copy of that book now, looks interesting!

JenG
    Up

Thanks everyone, including bluecrane with your offer of answering questions. Looks like a blog will be my next challenge. Have taken note of all the advice received, which is very much appreciated.

sydneyfx
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Hi Jen

Social media is getting alot of buzz and there are many people who wonder how they should be using it. Facebook, and Twitter are two different beasts and blogging is different to both of these as well.

A great book or audiobook to listen to on how to use social media is “Crush It” by Gary Vaynerchuk. http://crushitbook.com/ It will completely change the way you think about social media to build your business and brand online.

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I also think a blog is required, but I think you are right to question each of the social media tools – they can be time consuming and each require some attention.

I would try on focus on gaining a reputation on a couple to start with an then expand, the end aim is a ‘mesh’ of interlinked social media sites with the ultimate aim of driving traffic through them to your ‘money site’.

To attract readers to your blog you can use social media and bookmarking sites such as Digg, Reddit etc.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Not wishing to sound like a stick in the mud here, but I have a bit of a problem with the idea of recommending a blog should be used by all comers – and with this then I have a question I would ask your response to.

I have looked at the idea of a blog, pulled it apart, looked at it from a business and client/customer point of view and just generally tried to dissect how and where a blog may work at all. It seems to me the answer is that it depends, on what you want to gain from it, what sort of business you are in and just who you are aiming at.

So, if a blog does work for you – how does it, who are you reaching and what benefit are you getting from it?

It seems to me that a blog though is more useful in the sense of posting stories, hints and tips and something in the nature of social conscience comment. Its application appears to me to be a bit narrower and more limited than say a newsletter. Shoot me down if I am wrong, but I would really like to hear real world examples of how and why a blog works.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

The way I look at it is: just pretend you are talking to people in person. Blogging = Conference Speech, Facebook/Twitter = Networking event

You go to a conference to do a speech to demonstrate you are an expert in your field. Same with a blog. You go to network events to get to know other people and mix with potential clients.

What do you need to do? Are you clients actually on twitter/facebook/reading blogs? The answer is different for everyone.

…also, just cause everyone else is doing it, doesn’t make it a good idea :)

JenG
    Up

Some very interesting opinions here. I too, have wondered about the validity of a blog for my business. I am about to start reading a book recommended here, and hope to have a better understanding at the end of it.

Thanks for all advice. Much appreciated as always.

Jen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.