Home – New Forums Starting your journey fantastic ideas, dunno where to start…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ellematronic
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

hi,

i have this awesome idea, it’s huge and it’s gunna take me a long time to achieve the dream, but i’m determined to see it come to fruition.

i’ve always been interested in opening my own cafe, i’d start out really small – open a cafe in an area with high foot traffic for quick but high quality coffee and quick food from a simple but elegant menu. i am a modestly skilled barista with past experience in mananging alone a cafe that seated max 100 pax. but i also see a bigger picture.

my family in new zealand own 125 hectares of land in the north island, 1 hour north of auckland. i have often thought that it would be a great idea to grow a coffee plantation on this land. going by my research and memory of this place, it would be ideal to grow coffee as i feel it would provide the right conditions for a good yield and a product of high quality.

i also have aspirations of constructing homes and a cafe/art gallery on this property from mudbrick, with hopes of a bakery that makes ole style breads, a possibility of making smallgoods and cheeses and later commissioning local artists for arts and crafts.

we could also grow olive trees and maybe a vineyard as the condition just seem to be so ideal. my dreams are so huge that theyre driving me nuts, cos i know that i’m onto somthing huge but i don’t as yet have anywhere near the funds to make this happen.

i have at least 10 years experience working in hospitality and i tend to keep up to date all the time with food/beverage trends etc…

but…idon’t konw where to start. do i…. start saving my butt off, plant the trees, open the little cafe to start off with and start working for myself, build the mudbrick facilities or WHAT?

i know i need money and LOTS of it, and it worries me to find investors as i’m worried as to how much input they would need to feel secure etc…

can anyone tell me where to begin???

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi ellematronic,

Welcome to Flying Solo.

I am so inspired by your vision that I’m fantasising about visiting your little piece of paradise before it’s even taken shape. :)

Good luck with all your planning, and I hope you find the advice you need here.

All the best,
    Jayne

erinna
    Participant
    • Total posts: 135
    Up

Wow – so many ideas! Thats so awesome. :)

I personally would start out in an area which you are more familiar with – the cafe. The reason being that you have more experience in this area, and it wouldnt be quite so stressful for you leaping into the deep end, plus if you approach banks for a loan, your experience will be in your favour.

After a few years of developing your cafe, and also learning that business, going through the up/down cycles you will have, and seeing if you can make it work, I would progressively put your ideas for the grand plan onto paper, and let them evolve. Its like writing a book. Its recommended after you write it, you put it away for a period of time before you go back and look at it with fresh eyes.

The years of proving you can run a successful business will help you will further funding, connections, ideas and what really is viable.

Is your farm too out of the way? Do you have any drive-by/passing trade opportunities? Are there other similar businesses around?
    Would your coffee beans be grown at a high enough level to be really good quality?
    Who would harvest them, and what would the costs be?
    What other elements effect your yield?
    Would your yield of coffee beans be enough to sell on? Or only for your consumption?
    Would you continue your small cafe in the city, and use your own beans, even after the farm has been opened?

In the meantime, if you really wanted to get started on the farm idea, could you plant a small selection of beans, vines, olives, and use these years of development to learn to separate the good ideas from the bad? What works best and what doesnt? If the coffee bean idea really does work out, could you slowly introduce it into your cafe, build up a reputation, before launching your farm?

Lots of questions, and lots of good ideas.

I think, its best to start with one good strong focus and develop that really well, before you move on to other ventures :)

Good luck!

PS. If you ever need a photographer, let me know. Id LOVE to come to NZ with the excuse of a business trip :D

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Yes a business plan is the way to go, and onto that a dreams plan
    Maybe plans for 1 yr, then 5, 10, 15 20…this way it will be like a jigsaw puzzle laid out and you can start putting the pices into the right areas and links and threads will soon emerge.

Most important thing, don’t just keep it in your head, get it on paper. You will be amazed at how things will come together and you will eb able to answer many of your questions yourself.

ellematronic
    Up

to jayne, king and especially erina for such a detailed reply, THANK YOU so much from the bottom of my heart for all of your advice!
    having a dream such as mine is tough to make happen when you have no idea where to start.

you’ve all helped to give me much needed direction, drive and inspiration to achieve my goal.

my family’s place is situated in a gully that gets really warm and barmy in the summertime and is a little way of the beaten track 10 mins from a tourist route to tutukaka, 30 mins drive out of whangarei in the north island.
    tutukaka is famous for it’s marlin fishing and there’s lots of maori heritage sights around the area. Also, if you like seafood, this is the place.

tutukaka is a beautiful place and the drive out of whangarei is lovely.

i will definitely put everything onto paper then break things done into managable pieces.

thank you once again, and i will keep you posted on my developements, and yes, of course you’d all be welcome.

take care,

leanne.

Aymeric
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

It is awesome to have big ideas, this is what drives most of the entrepreneurs to keep doing what they are doing.

I would like to add my bit of advice. If you don’t know where to start, my advice is to start small. Right now, your biggest risk is to not do anything, by analysis paralysis. Don’t try to have everything at the same time.

Is it easier to open a cafe or to start growing your own coffee?

I assume it is easier to open a cafe. How can you simplify the task of opening a cafe? Maybe the upfront cost of renting a space scares you? Consider starting in a van.

I have seen several mobile coffee shops in industrial areas where there is no physical coffee shops, and I assure you the employees are thankful for their presence :)

Anyway, I don’t want to add more noise to what I wanted to tell you: start simple.

Coming from the online business world, I have never been able to get any benefits from a business plan because the numbers are unpredictable at the start. So I just start and grow form there.

Good luck.

mediainsider
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

yes .. i agree so many iodeas great vision and very inspiring.
    WARNIG .. plan your project properly, do not jump from one thing or idea to another.
    Until recently that is what i was doing and the result .. NOTHING .. and infact what can happen is that procrastination sets in.
    My advice.
    really plan your tasks out properly. Start one, complete it, and the start another one… and so on.
    It all sounds simple and obvious, but my experience tells me there any many with ideas, but few who carry them through and complete them.

Good luck

Mark Aiston
    http://www.mediainsider.com.au

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

great ideas and always great to hear enthusiam and passion!

Agree with previous posts, create a business plan and decide your short, medium and long-term goals. Then set about achieving them. Make sure your business plan is good and you research carefully, but my biggest bit of advice is to taken action – that’s the bit where most people fail.

Would agree that trying to stick to one project would be the way to go at the start

theoa
    Up

At the risk of sounding predictable, great place to start is always a Business Plan.

The aim is to protect your valuable $ resources particularly in the first year of trading. You’re going to spend money starting the business so why not do it with some careful thought and planning.

Even spending $40 on a business plan that’s already been produced for Cafes would be money worth spent and a great first step toward your own business plan.

http://www.businessplans.com.au

Aymeric
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Many people seem to advice to write a business plan, but where do you find reliable numbers that are not just pure guesses?

Maybe a physical shop is easier to figure out by just looking at how people walk in front of a specific location during an average day, but how useful a business plan can be for non conventional ventures?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    theoa, post: 50591 wrote:
    At the risk of sounding predictable, great place to start is always a Business Plan.

The aim is to protect your valuable $ resources particularly in the first year of trading. You’re going to spend money starting the business so why not do it with some careful thought and planning.

Even spending $40 on a business plan that’s already been produced for Cafes would be money worth spent and a great first step toward your own business plan.

http://www.businessplans.com.au

Hi there theoa,

It’s nice to meet you, and welcome to Flying Solo :)

We’d love it if you’d pop over to the http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/new-member-introduce-yourself/ section of the boards and share a little about yourself and your business. We’re all sticky beaks around here, so we’re always keen to get to know the people we’re chatting with.

Thanks – have a lovely day,
    Jayne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.