Home – New Forums Starting your journey Farmers Market Stall Estimates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    evydmb
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi All
    I am currently in the process of drawing up a plan for a food business which would initially begin through selling at farmers market in order to see if there is any interest for the product. I have a few questions for those of you who have any experience in this:
    -What is the average cost of renting a stall at a medium sized farmers market (ex in Perth)?
    -Is it generally difficult to to find available stall space?
    -Do farmers markets accept short term stall rent (ex per weekend) or do they ask for a longer term commitment?

I’ll be grateful for any input.

Thanks

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Hey [USER=80464]@evydmb[/USER] I don’t have any answers to the above – but I think a quick and easy way to find out would be to give the organisers of some of the local Perth farmers markets a call? That way you’ll be dealing with the exact right costs rather than estimates. Subiaco Farmers Markets might be a good one to start with?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

As Kelly says, you really should ask some organisers.
    I do a couple of farmers markets and as far as my experience goes:

• Many markets are full up with food and drink stalls (you have to ask, and maybe get in line), but if you keep an eye on market groups on Facebook there are often organisers looking for food stalls if theirs pull out for any reason.
    • There is a huge difference for prices of stalls, and some markets charge more for food stalls than other types of stalls. The markets I go to charge $30 (non food stalls) and one local one near me charges $45. I think city ones might charge a lot more. The smaller the town the less they charge in many cases
    • Most market will allow you to test for a time or two but prefer a longer commitment if you are a good fit for their market and you are happy there.
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I was looking to dabble in a related little adventure a couple of years ago, aggregating for a couple of farmer friends, back than I could get a stall at a reasonably well established market for between $30 and $50. This particular one always had a hand full of casual spots for new comers, or those business’s which were seasonally based only. It was basically an arrangement of first in best dressed, when they opened the phone line on Monday morning.

But I had rang a few and they all seemed to have differing arrangements, but most seemed open to new comers and casual arrangements.

Like the others have said, jump on the phone, and definitely ignore what their websites say, as sometimes this was written when they were all gung ho, and have modified their rules since than..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.