Home – New Forums Starting your journey Fashion Labelling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Julia Moda
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’m struggling to get the right information for imported clothing labelling requirements in Australia. I did read out the ACCC, Australia standards and Customs website so I understand that label have to be written in english with care instructions and attached to the garment. Does the country of fabrication is a mandatory standard? Any experience of relabelling to comply with Australian regulations?

Many thanks

Matt Icon Logistics
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Hi Julia,

There are a couple of pieces of legislation that overlap governing the labelling requirements for garments.

Labelling is covered by
    * The Commerce (Trade Descriptions) Act 1905
    * Commerce (Imports) Regulations 1940
    * The Australian Standard (AS/NZS 2392:1999 Textiles – Labelling of clothing, household textiles and furnishings)

The short answer is yes, the country of origin is a legal requirement. Also, when you say that the label needs to be ‘attached’ to the garment, there is a requirement that where possible this label be permanently fixed to the garment.

Good Luck

matt

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Hi Julia,
    I am X manufacture.
    Left side seam about 7 – 10cm from the waist band for tops, centre back just under waistband for pants.
    A satin Label stating
    material type. Eg. Polycotton.
    Washing instructions.. Warm machine wash. Warm Iron. be specific here,
    place of manufacture…Made in china.

everyone accepts that garments are made overseas, it’s not an issue any more. I was high end fashion and now my big brand customers buy OS. What is important is how you promote your label and establish your brand. Strict quality control and you will win every time.
    No need to complicate the issue.
    All the best

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.