Home – New Forums Marketing mastery FB Business Pages vs Personal Pages and privacy issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

The new FB Timeline changes are confusing to many. (Good article about it here http://bit.ly/ydD7wi ). From my understanding it’s now all about the user choosing what to see in a feed; and even if people have Liked your business page, they won’t necessarily see any further updates.

Also I have received many requests lately on FB for Apps that are a business network, but I am not happy about joining. Mainly because when I go to the App info they say that it will draw not only my information, but the information and education and other info of all my friends, and also their lists. That, to me, is breach of privacy and is not what FB was originally setup to be.

Those Apps won’t allow business pages to join, so that is not an option.
    As my FB page is personal friends and family, and I don’t have any business or education info on it, I don’t wish to join those Apps because of the privacy breaches and I have had to send private messages to those people asking me as to why I can’t. But I offer to join them on Linked In instead.

I do have two business pages on FB but I’m wondering if it’s worth continuing them, and instead concentrate on Linked In and Twitter instead.

What do others think?

Cheers.
    Karen C.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    KarenC, post: 111643 wrote:
    I do have two business pages on FB but I’m wondering if it’s worth continuing them, and instead concentrate on Linked In and Twitter instead.
    Absolutely. 750 million people. Enough said.
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    KarenC, post: 111643 wrote:
    Absolutely. 750 million people. Enough said.
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Depends if they’re working for you.

Facebook seems pretty much a waste of time for me – I did get rid of my Page mid-last year and didn’t miss it at all. The only reason I created a new one is because I like the timeline, but it’s got until the end of the year to show me some benefits otherwise it will be gone, and this time for good – so far, I’m not optimistic about it!

Twitter and LinkedIn on the other hand work very well for my business, and they’re where I concentrate most of my efforts.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Depends if they’re working for you.

Facebook seems pretty much a waste of time for me – I did get rid of my Page mid-last year and didn’t miss it at all. The only reason I created a new one is because I like the timeline, but it’s got until the end of the year to show me some benefits otherwise it will be gone, and this time for good – so far, I’m not optimistic about it!

Twitter and LinkedIn on the other hand work very well for my business, and they’re where I concentrate most of my efforts.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Facebook isn’t working for me. The only reason I’m keeping my page is because I’ve got such a cool name now, maybe sometime down the track things will change and I’ll be able to get more from it. Very little goes on it.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Facebook isn’t working for me. The only reason I’m keeping my page is because I’ve got such a cool name now, maybe sometime down the track things will change and I’ll be able to get more from it. Very little goes on it.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Karen, my only suggestion would be that if you decide not to use your fb business pages, simply change the settings so that, if searched, the public cannot see your pages. Nothing worse than finding a business page that looks neglected.

But don’t delete them just yet…you never know when you may change your mind, and it’s good to know that if you do decide to use them again, the business name is not taken by someone else.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Karen, my only suggestion would be that if you decide not to use your fb business pages, simply change the settings so that, if searched, the public cannot see your pages. Nothing worse than finding a business page that looks neglected.

But don’t delete them just yet…you never know when you may change your mind, and it’s good to know that if you do decide to use them again, the business name is not taken by someone else.

Past-Member
    Up

Interesting comments above – Wendy, I haven’t deleted them and am still using the business pages occasionally, and I will certainly keep the names. But the thing I don’t like is that Facebook Business Apps want to access my Personal page only and my information, as well as my ‘friends’, as the connection to their pages and I object to the breach of privacy.

I know some people have gone against FB rules and made their personal page a business name, but my FB personal is for family and close friends, not for business.

So, for business I really only want to interact from business pages and business ID. Hope I make sense here. But FB does not allow you to do that with these new networking Apps.

Past-Member
    Up

Interesting comments above – Wendy, I haven’t deleted them and am still using the business pages occasionally, and I will certainly keep the names. But the thing I don’t like is that Facebook Business Apps want to access my Personal page only and my information, as well as my ‘friends’, as the connection to their pages and I object to the breach of privacy.

I know some people have gone against FB rules and made their personal page a business name, but my FB personal is for family and close friends, not for business.

So, for business I really only want to interact from business pages and business ID. Hope I make sense here. But FB does not allow you to do that with these new networking Apps.

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Have sent you a PM

MyGreatIdea
    Up

Have sent you a PM

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

You are right. There are some alarming instrusions going on. It’s quite mindboggling really.

I’ve got FB working for me but it’s a hard slog and one has to forever be on guard against the privacy invasions.

My system was to separate family/friends from business from the outset.

I have a personal page in my maiden name so only family and friends know that anyway.

My business page is working in an unexpected way in that I’ve “liked” 100+ similar organisations all over the world and get inspiration when I look at their posts and see what they are up to.

I’ve given up using my business page trying to reach people. I can’t even use it as a method of communication since my posts probably don’t reach the people I’d like to target. If you don’t know if people have set your page as one they like to read – what’s the point?

However – what I’ve gained in information and connections with global peers slightly outweighs the fundamentally intrusive way that FB operates.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

You are right. There are some alarming instrusions going on. It’s quite mindboggling really.

I’ve got FB working for me but it’s a hard slog and one has to forever be on guard against the privacy invasions.

My system was to separate family/friends from business from the outset.

I have a personal page in my maiden name so only family and friends know that anyway.

My business page is working in an unexpected way in that I’ve “liked” 100+ similar organisations all over the world and get inspiration when I look at their posts and see what they are up to.

I’ve given up using my business page trying to reach people. I can’t even use it as a method of communication since my posts probably don’t reach the people I’d like to target. If you don’t know if people have set your page as one they like to read – what’s the point?

However – what I’ve gained in information and connections with global peers slightly outweighs the fundamentally intrusive way that FB operates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.