Home – New Forums Starting your journey FB page before a website if followers/community is the most important?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andy00
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi again,

I’m tossing up between a couple of options.

For a website that predominantely needs a community/followers to succeed, is it better to start of with a FB page/group so that when it has grown to having a good amount of regular contruibuters i can then introduce the website? The reason for this is so the website doesn’t seem like a ghost town to start with.

Or go straight to a website and then a FB page?

Thanks

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

913535e2_why_not_both.png

Get em both up and running and let them both grow at the same time.

andy00
    Up

Ideally that would be great, but my main worry is people visiting the website and leaving immediately as the main attraction will be the member’s contributions (which it won’t have to start with).

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 116803 wrote:
    913535e2_why_not_both.png

Get em both up and running and let them both grow at the same time.

Stop that, I can’t be laughing too hard at work.

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

Hi there…

Have a look at http://www.hellofleurieu.com.au. That started as a FB page and the website was launched at the first anniversary. Like yours, it needed a community first.

It has been (reasonably) successful but is still early days yet. The founder has some big plans!

Cheers

Nicole

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

I’d probably go the Facebook page first. It has a heap of nice nice built in viral aspects.

If you get the traction you’re hoping for – you may want to branch into a separate website. Even this isn’t really required, as you can single pages, through to tabbed pages, through to complete apps running on Facebook pages. The downside is that you are totally reliant on Facebook, so if there’s any potential friction there you may want to start with a parallel site.

As to needing the audience to get started, you can always ‘seed’ the site. Basically means generating the user generated content yourself. Sounds a bit weird, but you would be amazed how many successful sites started out this way…

Oh, there’s also a third option. You have a site that is Facebook integrated. So the comments and stuff use Facebook commenting and social aspects, so they leverage Facebook’s viral aspects, but you have more control over what your site than as a Facebook page. But this is probably best saved until you have an audience though, unless you know what you’re doing development wise…

Cheers,

Adrian

andy00
    Up

For those of you that have a FB page did you do it yourself or did you have a web designer do it for you?

I thought i would do it myself but it’s been impossible to find pics to use that don’t charge an insane amount just for the simplest of pics.
    As i’m not selling anything i certainly don’t need it to have bells and whistles but i just wnat something simple and stylish.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    andy00, post: 116976 wrote:
    I thought i would do it myself but it’s been impossible to find pics to use that don’t charge an insane amount just for the simplest of pics.

Not sure what types of images you need, but you might want to try Flickr advanced search.. Put your search terms in, and check the “Only search within the Creative Commons licensed content” box. Here’s a quick reference on Creative Commons. Basically, if you choose ‘Attribution Licenced’ images, you can use the image for whatever you like, as long as you credit the photographer (you just need to mention them in the image description).

Hope this helps

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

The exact size for the Facebook Page Timeline graphic at the top of the page is 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels high.

Main Header Image: 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels high
    Profile photo image: 125 pixels wide and 125 pixels high
    Custom photo tab images: 112 pixels wide and 75 pixels high

If you have an image you would like to use as a timeline header graphic but are having trouble resizing it send me a link to the image and I’ll see what I can do for you.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Either way, you need to connect and engage with your defined niche with interesting and valuable content. Miss this and it’ll be an uphill battle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.