Home – New Forums Logistics Fed up dealing with China suppliers – Is this the norm?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SunshineAng
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Right, So I probably look ‘green’ from a mile a way to manufacturers on China websites however, I’m not one to have the wool pulled over my eyes.
    I’ve researched and conversed with China manufacturers on a certain well known website and confirmed specifics on what they can do. e.g Logo printed tissue paper. Was asked what colour I wanted and I said blue and white. Everything agreed, Sample was emailed as I requested to show logo. Paid all of it in full…until days later I’m told they made a mistake, it is only for white paper, blue is more expensive. I can’t have blue! I find this completely unethical, and wonder if this is the norm? After many emails with no reply for 4 days, I finally got a ‘yes we will do blue’.

Today:) after weeks of conversation and getting a sample bag over to China, being advised yes we can custom your design pattern, please pay the sample fee and send your sample etc. I pay the sample fee only. I get a designer here to design a pattern I like as other company’s all wanted this and email it. It would be a print on cotton etc. They had the sample for 5 days. Was just emailed that the designer can’t do patterns and would I accept their stock material. An ugly camoflage green!.Something my skin became and I insisted on a refund.

India – Wow prices are so high. 50 % less retail Australian prices for wholesale of 50-100 jewelry pieces. They’re all about the same.
    Could anyone tell me if this is the norm here: they won’t do 1 sample. eg If I want 5 necklaces. I can’t have 1 sample of each style i.e 5 sample. I have to have 10 samples of each style! 50 samples?!! what if I don’t like the sample. This makes no sense to me and is more just a money grab.

So are there people who can sift through this mind field that I can contact to help.
    Thank-you

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

There are a whole lot of reasons for difficulties you mention. Many of them revolve around communication.

For example, you rarely hear a “no” from a Chinese manufacturer. It is all “yes”, until it gets too hard. Good on you if you managed to get a refund. Most don’t.

As someone who sits in the middle of these transactions, I would suggest that poor communication often comes from both sides. Not unexpected, but a native English speaker often doesn’t consider they are dealing with someone whose English may not be the best and just expects them to understand, and conversely, standards of understanding can vary dramatically when English is not a first language.

One of the major stumbling blocks you will have is your quantities. With only small quantities, there isn’t a lot of “fat” for a manufacturer to take the time and effort to really put in to make sure your sample/order goes smoothly. Rightly or wrongly, its a fact of life.

From my own experience, there is a limited amount I can do for a small order simply because the time and effort involved usually ends up costing more than I make out of the deal.

There will always be a level of trial and error involved – including the need to consider different suppliers if one doesn’t work out. Unfortunately that costs money and for a small order especially doesn’t seem worthwhile. So you got to decide to either keep looking or consider other options. As you are seeing, supposed lower unit cost doesn’t necessarily mean lower overall cost once you consider all the time and effort involved.

tslaustralia
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

In my opinion it is quite normal, its all trials and errors to find the right supplier, there are good ones out there and bad ones as well, unfortunately there are also language barriers when it comes to understanding, so it is always better to double or triple confirm their understandings.

Factories in a lot of cases don’t pay attentions to small orders, especially from Australia, Australia is a very small market compared to markets such as US or EU. So if you want some better caring on your orders, you can always ‘talk’ possible big orders first, just to get them to pay closer attentions. The person in charge would always pay more attentions to bigger and more profitable orders.

SunshineAng
    Up

Thanks both for your replies.
    Yes even 500 is probably considered small quantities.
    Their English on both seperate occasions seems perfect. I do believe I may be messaging to 1 person who actually has other staff members using their same messaging name at different times. This could explain why things went astray. I did confirm 3 seperate times each re product before payment. Hence my dismay.

Ok so will talk larger amounts to get their attention. Thanks.
    And Jewelry from India is now coming back to me with a new price as I learn the art of negotiating:)
    Feeling better, thanks for the support

Johny
    Up

Ok so will talk larger amounts to get their attention. Thanks.

I never suggest this as a viable negotiating option for two reasons.

1. Any half decent suppliers already knows it’s a crock.

2. Do you really want to complain about the effectiveness of using a supplier, then start the discussions in a deception.

You want people to be up front and work well with you, be upfront and honest with them.

Micky P
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi,
    With smaller amounts you will always be dealing with a trading company, which is the norm. Some times trading companies will say yes to a question, but when they ask their manufacturer, there may be an issue. But in saying that 99.9% of the time, they will work things out for you.

There is also the probability that you have been talking to numerous people, via email, as well. Although it may appear the same person is replying, usually it is whoever is working on the day.

The important thing to do when sourcing a new product, is to get as many quotes as you can, never go with the first quote.

Also many companies have large MOQ stated, but don’t let this deter you from sending an inquiry about a smaller amount, as many will help you out.

I personally wouldn’t go asking about large orders if you have no intention of meeting the number. But you can always say that the initial order will be small, as you test the market place and subsequent orders will be larger.

In relation to the Indian order, you will find that they will try to make a profit out of you, at every turn. I have had nothing but issues dealing with Indian companies, they offer a lot and deliver very little. The samples I have received have cost a premium and have been absolute rubbish. They also do not take constructive feedback very well.

I stick to China these days.

Whatever you do, get lots of quotes and take your time with your decisions.

SunshineAng
    Up

Interesting to hear Mick. I’m waiting for delivery of some charms from India and I had given them some jewelry designs in the meantime. Discovered they had not posted my charms yet, their quotes are ridiculously high and I’m getting the feeling that as I won’t act on their quote that they may not post my already paid for charms. I hope not, but I’m not setting my sights high on India now. It’s just that jewelers at a recent Expo said not to buy 925 silver from China as most of it isn’t real, go with India.

Johny
    Up

You should find real manufacturers dealing in 925 SS jewellery, particularly in the Guangdong region (southern China.). You do have to be a bit careful though because there will be ones who aren’t doing the real thing.

They will do small lots. I have seen them do as few as 30 pieces of a style. But you will definitely be asked to pay a premium for samples.

SunshineAng
    Up

Thanks so much, that steers me in the right path!

And I received my refund from China with my bag and sample fee.
    Restored my faith:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.