Home – New Forums Starting your journey Feedback on a Web Design Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    B Cooper
    • Total posts: 211
    Up
    ::

Hey Guys,

I run a Web Design Business that develops WordPress websites for businesses for just a few hundred dollars.

I’d really appreciate any feedback on our website, or our business model itself.

http://www.webdesignforbusinesses.com.au

Thanks!

Brentis

dealflip.com.au
    • Total posts: 119
    Up

Hi Brentis,

Affordable and well designed – definitely a great way for businesses to explore an online presence without outlaying a huge investment. Good work!

Cheers,

Paul

B Cooper, post: 88047 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I run a Web Design Business that develops WordPress websites for businesses for just a few hundred dollars.

I’d love any feedback you have on our website, or our business itself.

I really appreciate any feedback!

Brentis

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    B Cooper, post: 88047 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I’d love any feedback you have on our website, or our business itself.

I really appreciate any feedback!

Brentis

Hi Brentis,

Just some small feedback for your website. You’ve got some typos on the contact form’s category options. Also you are lacking business information such as an ABN. Please refer to this existing thread – http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/15504-make-website-199-what-you-think-2.html

When I initially visited your website, it did take a quite a while to load. I’m going to assume your target market are Australian businesses. Hosting your website in Australia will improve your website loading speed.

Cheers,
    Shaun

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Looks good mate, the woothemes are nice I think it’s probably best to be upfront about them being template sites but that’s just me. Id throw some testimonials in the mix aswell. And yeah fix the typos.

It’s also quite cheap, I’ll be interested in how you go with this. My feeling is to make this model work you need to automate the bulk of it (signup, loading of content etc) and have an offshore team doing the work. There needs to be some profit in it particularly using open source where you can’t make much of an ongoing revenue. You might find businesses like schools and real-estate agents expect more interaction than can be provided with an automated model hence my comment about setting expectations and it would be handy to have a mechanism to bust such customers out of the cheap site model without disappointing them.

All the best with it

B Cooper
    Up

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. NetOrigin – do you have a FlyingSolo member discount for your Australian hosting? ;)

Thanks Dan, testimonials would really help. At the moment, I’m giving each client way more support than I should be for $399, and it’ll be hard to scale this way. As the business grows, I’ll outsource more tasks and automate more of the process.

Thanks again guys!

Brentis

Netorigin
    Up
    B Cooper, post: 88352 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. NetOrigin – do you have a FlyingSolo member discount for your Australian hosting? ;)

Thanks Dan, testimonials would really help. At the moment, I’m giving each client way more support than I should be for $360, and it’ll be hard to scale this way. As the business grows, I’ll outsource more tasks and automate more of the process.

Thanks again guys!

Brentis

Hi Brentis,

Indeed we do. I’ve sent you a PM :)

Cheers,
    Shaun

B Cooper
    Up

Hey Guys,

The main concerns seemed to be that the website was slow, so I’ve switched the site over to Australian hosting.

If the loading time isn’t relatively fast, the bounce rate will be extremely high, so we’ll be loosing a lot of business.

I’d love some feedback on the new loading time. Do you find the site to still be slow?

Cheers!

Brentis

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi Brentis,

Best of luck with the business and welcome to the wonderful and interesting world of Web Design :)

Looks like you have a lot of javascript and css action going on in the site, have a look at wp-minify plugin, it will give you a good boost in loading speeds.

On a side note, have a look at your robots.txt file, it might be giving mix messages to Yahoo and Bing.

Cheers!
    Samith

AngelaGirl
    • Total posts: 330
    Up

Hi Brentis
    I’m not sure what the loading time was like before, but it seems fine now … it loaded within a couple of seconds.
    Cheers
    Angela

ScottD
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Brentis, i would say that it is not a sustainable business model. a lot of web designers start out competing on price. the problem is customers want a cheap price but they don’t want a cheap job. so think about how you can do a top quality job and get compensated accordingly.

B Cooper
    Up

Hey Guys,

Samith – Fantastic, I’ll install that plugin and see how it increases loading speed :)

Scott – Yes $399 is quite cheap, and even though I provide fantastic value for money (I realize that I need to increase the price – as the quality that I provide is worth quite a lot more), yet there is still the problem of the customer perception – will they perceive the services to be cheap? Or if I increase the price, to expensive?

Thats where I think good testimonials and examples of previous developments will come in handy – which is something that I’m going to add soon.

It’s just difficult to find that nice balance between quality and price, that gives the customer great value for money, but doesn’t make your services appear cheap. Perhaps web design is an industry in which price is perceived to be a direct correlation to the quality that you provide, and in that case, when deciding prices we should only price our services for exactly what they are worth, and not compete on price in the slightest?

Thanks for the responses!

Brentis

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Seeing as you are only providing templated designs I don’t think you could charge any more IMHO.

B Cooper
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 90494 wrote:
    Seeing as you are only providing templated designs I don’t think you could charge any more IMHO.

Agreed. It’s just a matter of conveying to potential customers that it’s not just some dirt cheap, low quality solution, but that even though we use templates we really do provide great value for money.

I guess this just comes down to successful marketing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Brentis :)

Netorigin
    Up
    B Cooper, post: 90489 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Samith – Fantastic, I’ll install that plugin and see how it increases loading speed :)

Scott – Yes $399 is quite cheap, and even though I provide fantastic value for money (I realize that I need to increase the price – as the quality that I provide is worth quite a lot more), yet there is still the problem of the customer perception – will they perceive the services to be cheap? Or if I increase the price, to expensive?

Thats where I think good testimonials and examples of previous developments will come in handy – which is something that I’m going to add soon.

It’s just difficult to find that nice balance between quality and price, that gives the customer great value for money, but doesn’t make your services appear cheap. Perhaps web design is an industry in which price is perceived to be a direct correlation to the quality that you provide, and in that case, when deciding prices we should only price our services for exactly what they are worth, and not compete on price in the slightest?

Thanks for the responses!

Brentis

I’d highly recommend this plugin for WordPress – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/. It does make a difference to your web page loading times and we currently use it on our main site.

Cheers,
    Shaun

B Cooper
    Up
    NetOrigin, post: 90508 wrote:
    I’d highly recommend this plugin for WordPress – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/. It does make a difference to your web page loading times and we currently use it on our main site.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Awesome, that’s the sort of the thing I was looking for.

Thanks!

Brentis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.