Home – New Forums Starting your journey Feedback on idea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    asap2004
    • Total posts: 36
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’ve been away for a long time, had a long think about what I really want to do, and am now going in a completely different direction. This time, I know what needs to be done, I know the goal, I know the vision. All I need to do is do it correctly!!

My idea, in a nutshell, is to provide fashionable shoes to certain unfortunate souls, like me, who have a specific foot problem (being very vague…am I being too careful?). However, this idea could go in many different directions and I am at a crossroads at the moment.

I need to do some primary market research to determine which way the business should go, but due to the nature of the product it would be hard to pinpoint where I could contact potential customers (ie. foot problems in general don’t obviously target one type of person. I think I know the target markets I’m after – either mums or working professionals at the moment – but it would still be weird to stop them on the street and say, “hey, do you need such-and-such?”)

I was thinking about starting a Facebook page and/or Twitter account with useful info about where people like me could find the type of shoes we are after currently. Through the course of my social media interactions with them, I could find out what they are really after. It may well be that a simple e-commerce site selling what is already out there in one place is all that’s needed. Or maybe it’s a product that can easily be worn in any shoe. At this stage, I need them to tell me that.

Now, is this just going the long way around? Am I just avoiding the hard work of going out there and searching for customers to talk to? Am I wasting my time? It would definitely take a lot of work but on the other hand, at least I could see if people are interested in this type of thing and build up a following even before I launch.

I also need to speak to an industry expert who can explain to me the ins and outs of the footwear industry and advise me on whether this idea is viable (with the fashion seasons and the presumably smaller number of customers). I am, however, at a loss as to where I could contact someone like that and how to approach them. Will they think I’m going into competition with them or worse (gasp!) take my idea for themselves? (Please tell me I’m being too hysterical – I’ve been avoiding posting on here for days for that very reason :()

So I’m appealing to all the lovely, helpful participants on this board for some advice. Is the social media approach a good idea and how do I go about contacting an industry expert?

TIA!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

You’re right to not give anything away…could podiatrists be a starting point for your market research?

Wendy

L-Plater
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Facebook site is always a great way to get the word out although you would need to start the ‘word of mouth’ ball rolling to have people start following you.

If your target market is:

a) mums – why don’t you talk to the administrators or some of the ‘mummy forums’ such as Essential Baby and Bub Hub to see how you could go about advertising on their sites. I’d get a website going then link the forums ads with the website then on your website you can have the “find us on facebook” icon. That way you can start a dialogue with potential customers.

b) working women – I know in my local area there is regularly held business networking events. Maybe start attending events such as these or join the local chamber of commerce to reach the professionals that you would like to target too.

I also thought it would be a good idea to drop into some of the podiatrists in the area and ask if you could leave some business cards or pamphlets at their reception.

I’d balance some online marketing with some face to face. I’ve got size 11 feet, so if your going to stock some big sizes let me know ;)

Good luck!
    Lauren

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Without knowing too much on exactly what your idea is I could propose the following:

* Depending on the exact problem perhaps advertising with podiatrists and/or doctors somehow or even getting them to recommend your product if it is indeed good

* If there really isn’t much out there at the moment for this particular problem & you think it would be a good human interest story perhaps contacting a current affairs program like Today Tonight to focus on the problem & your product – I’m sure a good proportion of their stories are “paid advertisements” that put a spin on the story to make it interesting

Good Luck!

asap2004
    Up

Thanks Wendy and Lauren. Lauren, I don’t plan on stocking large sizes but during my research I did come across a website called fashionablylargeshoes.com which you may find helpful (there’sa some free advertising for whoever they are lol!)

Thank you both for your advice. I did think about contacting podiatrists for both market info and foot advice. My other problem with that is in what capacity do they come on board? If they become an advisor they would need some form of payment or shares etc and I’m way too green behind the ears at the moment to negotiate something like that. (I obviously have a lot to learn!)

It’s interesting that you advise having a website already linking to facebook as opposed to just a link from the forums (great idea btw) to a surveymonkey or something. Having said that, I definitely see the benefit of a dialogue on facebook as opposed to the relatively faceless and impersonal setting of an online survey. But can’t I link directly to facebook? Setting up a webpage would mean a domain and business name for something I don’t yet know is viable.

As I’m writing, I’ve just receive CondorCreative’s reply. Thank you! I don’t actually have a product yet so there’s nothing to advertise I’m afraid.

Does anyone have any advice on contacting industry experts?

Thanks again for the replies!

L-Plater
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

haha thanks for the website, i think im the only female on the earth that has to be dragged kicking and screaming shoe shopping.

I don’t think they would expect payment but it would be more of a ‘you scratch my back and i’ll scratch yours’ i.e:- you give their business the occasional plug, and they will do the same for you. I’ve been to plenty of GP’s surgeries and dentists etc that have business cards and pamphlets for complimentary businesses. It’s not a paid thing, it’s more just businesses in similar industries (not direct competitors of course) just helping support each other. Get in good with the receptionist – in those kind of industries the receptionists are the ones that have the relationships with the customers.

Research a little more if you would like to give the business a go, then you’ve got to have a website. It’s just a neccessary and it can be done relatively cheaply, there are plenty of website developers and professionals in that industry on these forums that could give you more indepth details about website creation than I can. Personally I wouldn’t direct straight to Facebook. While facebook is widely embraced, I do know a few that are somewhat resisting it:- I think if you are running only on a facebook page you risk alienating those people that don’t like using it plus it just doesn’t create the credibility that an website does.

I don’t have my own business yet though, so this is more observations than ‘been there, done that’ :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

As far as the podiatrists go, I think you would find the best way in would be to introduce your product as something that could benefit their patients. Work from this angle, and think about having some brochures that could be displayed in their surgeries. Basically, use the podiatrist as a form of marketing.

Consider also some editorial (rather than paid advertisement) that could make it into their publications. Contact their national and state associations for information about this. Imagine your product being on display in every podiatrist’s surgery around Australia? Cheap marketing direct to the end consumer.

Wendy:)

asap2004
    Up

Thank you again for the replies. I think I will definitely set up a Facebook page and try and market it at podiatrists and maybe even Facebook advertising. I will also give the forums a go.

I really want to hold off on the website until I know I really can make a business out of this. Like I said before, that really is the point of the Facebook page – to gauge the need for this in the community. I have taken on board the point about people not going on to Facebook so I will have a think about it.

My concern about the podiatrist wanting some form of payment was more in regard to them advising me about my product (from a medical point of view) as opposed to using them as a form of marketing. Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear. If anyone has any advice on how to go about that, I’d appreciate it (maybe I should post that on a different thread?)

Thank you again for your advice. I’m still happy to hear from anyone else… ;)

Many thanks!

The Lazy Aussie
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    asap2004, post: 70892 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’ve been away for a long time, had a long think about what I really want to do, and am now going in a completely different direction. This time, I know what needs to be done, I know the goal, I know the vision. All I need to do is do it correctly!!

My idea, in a nutshell, is to provide fashionable shoes to certain unfortunate souls, like me, who have a specific foot problem (being very vague…am I being too careful?). However, this idea could go in many different directions and I am at a crossroads at the moment.

I need to do some primary market research to determine which way the business should go, but due to the nature of the product it would be hard to pinpoint where I could contact potential customers (ie. foot problems in general don’t obviously target one type of person. I think I know the target markets I’m after – either mums or working professionals at the moment – but it would still be weird to stop them on the street and say, “hey, do you need such-and-such?”)

I was thinking about starting a Facebook page and/or Twitter account with useful info about where people like me could find the type of shoes we are after currently. Through the course of my social media interactions with them, I could find out what they are really after. It may well be that a simple e-commerce site selling what is already out there in one place is all that’s needed. Or maybe it’s a product that can easily be worn in any shoe. At this stage, I need them to tell me that.

Now, is this just going the long way around? Am I just avoiding the hard work of going out there and searching for customers to talk to? Am I wasting my time? It would definitely take a lot of work but on the other hand, at least I could see if people are interested in this type of thing and build up a following even before I launch.

I also need to speak to an industry expert who can explain to me the ins and outs of the footwear industry and advise me on whether this idea is viable (with the fashion seasons and the presumably smaller number of customers). I am, however, at a loss as to where I could contact someone like that and how to approach them. Will they think I’m going into competition with them or worse (gasp!) take my idea for themselves? (Please tell me I’m being too hysterical – I’ve been avoiding posting on here for days for that very reason :()

So I’m appealing to all the lovely, helpful participants on this board for some advice. Is the social media approach a good idea and how do I go about contacting an industry expert?

TIA!

Hi how ya going. How about setting up a Squeeze Page
    ( a one page website were you could give away for free
    a ebook about, say shoes.)

Visitors to the site enter name and email
    address to recieve your free ebook

You compile a list of all emails of who recieved your ebook.
    All these people are interested in shoes, grow your list and
    do your marketing through them.

you probally know about this but if you dont
    a list of laser targeted prospects is the way to go

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

“…fashionable shoes to certain unfortunate souls”

or

“…fashionable shoes to certain unfortunate SOLES”

baboom tish!

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 71366 wrote:
    baboom tish!

Must be a drummer. :)

Great slogan.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.