Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Feedback on new Shopify Site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greenlife
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I’ve been reading these forums for a while and have found them very helpful, so decided to finally post something.

I run a small solar energy business in Adelaide called Greenlife, and have been working on an online eco-store for around 6 months, which was launched about 2 weeks go.

http://www.greenlifeonline.com.au

I’m aware that it’s far from perfect, but would love any and all feedback that people care to share. There are some unique challenges as there’s no specific type of product that we sell, just products that I find to be very well made and very useful, with an eco friendly theme. Also they are generally ones that you don’t see in shops.
    I think I need a front banner to sum up what the site is about (the 5 second rule) and also the products need to start going in proper categories, it’s a mixed bag at the moment.
    The Shopify software itself I am extremely happy with.

If anyone in Adelaide is running an e-commerce site, I’d also be very keen to get together to chat about it and share ideas, email me at [email protected] if you’re interested.

Cheers,
    Matthew.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Matthew, and welcome to Flying Solo :)

I’ve moved your thread over here to the Community Reviews section of the forum, as that’s the more appropriate place for it.

We have some specific guidelines that apply to this section of the forum, so please take a few moments to review them above, and then perhaps update your post with any additional info that reviewers might find helpful.

Good luck for your review, and I’ll look forward to getting to know you here on the forum.

Jayne

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

looks nice…clean, simple yet stylish

the whole green only products is your point of difference, so as you say make the first slider something that explains this….or add a banner above/below the main slider.

id also make all your images the same size, (can just extend the white background on the products ) so the grid aligns…

and yes, more products so you can categorise them will clean it up even more…

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Greenlife, post: 189926 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I’ve been reading these forums for a while and have found them very helpful, so decided to finally post something.

I run a small solar energy business in Adelaide called Greenlife, and have been working on an online eco-store for around 6 months, which was launched about 2 weeks go.

I’m aware that it’s far from perfect, but would love any and all feedback that people care to share. There are some unique challenges as there’s no specific type of product that we sell, just products that I find to be very well made and very useful, with an eco friendly theme. Also they are generally ones that you don’t see in shops.
    I think I need a front banner to sum up what the site is about (the 5 second rule) and also the products need to start going in proper categories, it’s a mixed bag at the moment.
    The Shopify software itself I am extremely happy with.

If anyone in Adelaide is running an e-commerce site, I’d also be very keen to get together to chat about it and share ideas, email me at [email protected] if you’re interested.

Cheers,
    Matthew.

Hello Matthew

Glad you are observing the 5 second rule I posted about on my website.

I’d suggest you remove the slider – http://springintosales.com/rotating-images-on-your-website-killing-sales/ for more details on why.

The merchandising of an ecommerce site home page does have a certain methodology, and if you were to do this correctly, your buyer’s journeys would be more effective. i.e. you’d be able to move people along to either a sale or a lead.

Currently, you’ve done a 4x display, which isn’t as good a journey as a 3x display. Also, you haven’t categorised your products, which doesn’t set up a good funnel.

Thirdly, the all important lead capture isn’t optimized.

Lots more … but that is a start.

I can help.

Jenny

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Good work! You’ve probably noticed that Shopify forces people to enter their Paypal details and ‘confirm’ before giving them a chance to review all charges and add a voucher code. I’ve recently figured a way around this, so let me know if you’d like me to help out :)

Greenlife
    Up

Well I’m now a few months into my online business and it’s been a constant process of evolution, I feel like now it is starting to come together more coherantly.
    The first 3 months yielded not too many sales, but have seen quite a spike in the last 4 weeks or so.
    I’ve evolved from selling just random eco-friendly products, to aiming more towards eco/sustainable fashion and accessories, with a few more products coming soon.

I have tried to take on board a lot of what I have read and been advised on, see what you think:

1. What needs reviewing?
    Does the front page of the site work effectively?

2. What does your business do?
    Online retailer of sustainable fashion and accessories, plus a few other eco products.

3. Who is your target market?
    Men and women 18-35

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    Is the lead capture bar at the top effective, should it be more obvious?
    Does the front main banner image work as per the 5 second rule?
    Are the images used on the front page suitable for the products?

Any feedback welcome, thanks guys ‘n gals!

Jenny Spring
    Up

Great job!

Clear headline, consistent messaging, its obvious what you do.

Optin bar at the top is good.

Jenny

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Hi Matthew,

Cool site! I like your idea and it’s definitely got some unique selling points.

Personally, I really like you headline. It captures your attention, clean, sharp and it states what you sell. Great work.

I’m not a fan of the news section down the bottom. I feel like the home page starts off strong and then loses traction the further you go down.

The first three product images I’d like to see as more generic categories where the category name stands out a bit more “Sunglasses” “Watches” “Speakers” etc. bold and maybe H2 style font size underneath the image.

I noticed that you have a 1300 number so you’re obviously keen for people to call you. Put that in bold in the top header and reinforce that you want people to call if they have any questions.

These kind of links are getting really messy.
    http://greenlifeonline.com.au/blogs/news/tagged/iphone-speaker

Stick with categories as much as possible over tags but I don’t know if that’s the problem with this url.

On most of your product detail pages your add to cart button is below the fold i.e. not visible when first viewing the page.

I’m not a fan of hiding areas such as your mailing list opt-in, if it’s important to you then why have it hiding? Put it in your side bars and make it more visible. If you want to use it at the top can you show it all the time without having to hit the flag?

Again I’d continuously reinforce your unique selling points in the side bar with a button to “check out now”.

Overall, the site will probably struggle for organic traffic as, from my quick view, it does seem to be optimised to target anything in particular. Again you would know what potential visitors would be searching for to find your products.

Do your sales typically come through word of mouth or a particular referrer such as social media?

Hope this helps, cool site though and I wish you all the best.

Greenlife
    Up

Thanks for the feedback Byron, that’s great stuff.

With the long URL you mentioned, can you recommend how this can be corrected? Do longer URL’s have a negative impact on SEO?

At the moment it seems the traffic is coming from various places, I am starting to push facebook and instagram more, and am doing some adwords as well. Shopify is a big vauge about where visitors have come from sometimes, so it’s a little hard to tell. I’m getting quite a lot of US customers too which I’m trying to find out how to cut down on, although my main 3 brands are all US brands so that might be hard to avoid.

Would you be able to supply a link to a site with a sidebar like you refer to? I haven’t really thought about using one, or know the best way to integrate it in.

Thanks again,
    Matthew.

Jenny Spring
    Up
    Greenlife, post: 197477 wrote:

With the long URL you mentioned, can you recommend how this can be corrected? Do longer URL’s have a negative impact on SEO?

At the moment it seems the traffic is coming from various places, I am starting to push facebook and instagram more, and am doing some adwords as well. Shopify is a big vauge about where visitors have come from sometimes, so it’s a little hard to tell. I’m getting quite a lot of US customers too which I’m trying to find out how to cut down on, although my main 3 brands are all US brands so that might be hard to avoid.

Would you be able to supply a link to a site with a sidebar like you refer to? I haven’t really thought about using one, or know the best way to integrate it in.

Thanks again,
    Matthew.

To optimise your pages, part of the SEO process is looking at your URLs, and making sure your keywords are in the URL.

Other elements include length of URL, positioning of keywords, relevancy and so forth.

However, as a quick answer to your question, and something you can do yourself, that page could be:

greenlife.com/blog/iphone-speaker

You can edit your URL once you create your page.

In regards the email list, as you are aware, that needs to be an important part of your lead capture mechanism, and although not the primary task of the stranger visiting this page, it is your primary opportunity to nurture them through the sales funnel.

Creating an interesting reason (lead magnet) to join your newsletter is critical, as well as placement on that Home page.

If you are struggling to move that signup box, because of the theme you’ve chosen, then you have other options to tweak your site. Another way to achieve that is through popups as well as experimenting with signup boxes in different locations around your site: Here is what I use and for $49 you can create your own signups and popups, and do split testing etc. http://springintosales.com/tools-use/

Jenny

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

It looks like it’s coming from your tags that you’re adding to your blog posts. Research has shown that shorter urls receive better click through rates but I wouldn’t get caught up on it. I’d remove your tags if possible. Only time I might use them is to differentiate between two products that are the same but different colours or something. For a blog post I wouldn’t think this is an issue.

Your site should have a nice structure though. For example your product urls could be.

http://www.greenlifeonline.com.au or alternatively

In regards to your blog you seem to have blognews in the URL. It’s meaningless from an SEO perspective. I’d try to categorise your blog posts into nicer categories maybe

Brands
    Fashion
    Sustainable
    Reviews etc.

Then in your URL, again I haven’t used much of shopify, add your category to each blog post and include it in the URL. It makes more sense than “blog” and “news”

I’m getting quite a lot of US customers too which I’m trying to find out how to cut down on, although my main 3 brands are all US brands so that might be hard to avoid.

Get google analytics and set up goals to track your conversions and start identifying how you can improve your site. Don’t use the default shopify
    http://docs.shopify.com/support/other/general-information/google-analytics-goals-and-funnels

http://www.quicksprout.com/blog/

You can see at the top how the sidebar is used for the call to action everything is green basically except for the button which is yellow. I’d do the same on your site, list your unique selling points and place a button to checkout. You could do something similar for your newsletter but my aim would be to capture subscribers through checkout and push the buying your product as more important.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.