Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Feedback on new website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hey guys…… as per my other thread I am now open and hence I am looking for some feedback (good or bad) on my new website.

http://www.condorcreative.com.au/

Thanks very much!! :)

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 113587 wrote:
    Hey guys…… as per my other thread I am now open and hence I am looking for some feedback (good or bad) on my new website.

Overall I like it, and being a designer you have a good eye for creating a clean and neat site. The below suggestions are not because I don’t think your site is good, but just to make a good site better. Please take all with a grain of salt and the good spirit it is intended.

1) Overall even thought it’s clean, clear and neat, it lacks a bit of “wow” factor. Being your name itself includes “creative” I expect a little more excitement on the home page, rather than just clean and professional.

2) I LOVE the “little white guys” as a concept and originally had a variation on my site. However I removed them a while ago, as they have become SO overused that they no longer have the interest factor they once did, and make the site look a little unorigional, especially when used as the main focus image on the first of your slides. That said the rest of your slide images I do like.

3) For the menu at the top, the small brown text looks a little bare by itself and doesn’t catch the eye. Suggestion would be to make the currently active page stay looking like the rollover (orange button) so people can easily tell where they are.

4) Similarly, with content display slider type section at the top, if I click on any of the links, it scrolls in then LEAVES an orange bar there, even for the first menu item (this looks good). But until I click one, there is no orange bar – in fact it doesn’t even look like they are links. You need to make the orange bar show on the first one by default as a minimum, and possibly have it auto change between slides ever 10 seconds or so.

5) All your pages seem to have a lot of white space below the content – ie the content area (white) is much longer than the content, before the footer starts. This isn’t a case of a sidebar being too long as it’s not – the space is below this also. This comes from
    padding-bottom: 175px; on line 179 of interior.css. Reduce this to maybe 30 or something.

6) The “Our Work” page only has one example as i’m sure you know, and this looks like a “development” work example, not a “design” one. Not sure how you see yourself, but your name and logo screams “designer”. Having both types of examples will give you the impression of being an allrounder which many are looking for. But one example only isn’t enough, and being a non-design task is confusing your positioning.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

marketingweb
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 113587 wrote:

Overall I like it, and being a designer you have a good eye for creating a clean and neat site. The below suggestions are not because I don’t think your site is good, but just to make a good site better. Please take all with a grain of salt and the good spirit it is intended.

1) Overall even thought it’s clean, clear and neat, it lacks a bit of “wow” factor. Being your name itself includes “creative” I expect a little more excitement on the home page, rather than just clean and professional.

2) I LOVE the “little white guys” as a concept and originally had a variation on my site. However I removed them a while ago, as they have become SO overused that they no longer have the interest factor they once did, and make the site look a little unorigional, especially when used as the main focus image on the first of your slides. That said the rest of your slide images I do like.

3) For the menu at the top, the small brown text looks a little bare by itself and doesn’t catch the eye. Suggestion would be to make the currently active page stay looking like the rollover (orange button) so people can easily tell where they are.

4) Similarly, with content display slider type section at the top, if I click on any of the links, it scrolls in then LEAVES an orange bar there, even for the first menu item (this looks good). But until I click one, there is no orange bar – in fact it doesn’t even look like they are links. You need to make the orange bar show on the first one by default as a minimum, and possibly have it auto change between slides ever 10 seconds or so.

5) All your pages seem to have a lot of white space below the content – ie the content area (white) is much longer than the content, before the footer starts. This isn’t a case of a sidebar being too long as it’s not – the space is below this also. This comes from
    padding-bottom: 175px; on line 179 of interior.css. Reduce this to maybe 30 or something.

6) The “Our Work” page only has one example as i’m sure you know, and this looks like a “development” work example, not a “design” one. Not sure how you see yourself, but your name and logo screams “designer”. Having both types of examples will give you the impression of being an allrounder which many are looking for. But one example only isn’t enough, and being a non-design task is confusing your positioning.

Hope this helps,
    Matt

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

Brave letting your site being reviewed as a designer…

I was a little let down, I don’t feel the site really jumps out at me. Your logo is really cool and I guess I just expected more.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than a lot of so called designers, but I set the bar pretty high for my peers, much higher than other businesses.

Couple of minor things

1. As pointed out above, the little white guys have been done to death.
    2. There are no real pictures of people even on the about page.
    3. Your have two navigation bars on your site, and the minor one switches from left to right on the inner pages.
    4. As Matt said, you only have one example, and that is a form, which could have been created using a million different form builders.
    5. There is a lot of drop shadow on your quick quote form, making it look pretty old fashioned.
    6. You have two call to actions on your home page, three if you include the form.

Thanks for letting me review you site.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

Brave letting your site being reviewed as a designer…

I was a little let down, I don’t feel the site really jumps out at me. Your logo is really cool and I guess I just expected more.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s better than a lot of so called designers, but I set the bar pretty high for my peers, much higher than other businesses.

Couple of minor things

1. As pointed out above, the little white guys have been done to death.
    3. Your have two navigation bars on your site, and the minor one switches from left to right on the inner pages.
    4. As Matt said, you only have one example, and that is a form, which could have been created using a million different form builders.
    5. There is a lot of drop shadow on your quick quote form, making it look pretty old fashioned.
    6. You have two call to actions on your home page, three if you include the form.

Thanks for letting me review you site.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks very much for your comments. I’m going to respond to you guys in more detail tomorrow as it’s past my bed time lol……. but I want to make it clear first off that I personally am not a designer, I am a developer/coder/programmer and hence I didn’t design the logo or the site myself.

The logo and the site were designed by two different people, apart from the contact and “free quote” (not quick quote) forms being designed by my new design guy who I am sub-contracting, who is yes, based in Australia.

Now that I have him on board I should be able to get a more consistent theme going on design wise. ;)

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks very much for your comments. I’m going to respond to you guys in more detail tomorrow as it’s past my bed time lol……. but I want to make it clear first off that I personally am not a designer, I am a developer/coder/programmer and hence I didn’t design the logo or the site myself.

The logo and the site were designed by two different people, apart from the contact and “free quote” (not quick quote) forms being designed by my new design guy who I am sub-contracting, who is yes, based in Australia.

Now that I have him on board I should be able to get a more consistent theme going on design wise. ;)

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

I agree with the other guys. The logo is cool but the site is a bit bland for a creative company.

The copy is not very punchy and a bit wishy washy, particularly on the About Us page.

I think it’s better to not have a portfolio page at all then to have one with only a web form on it. Even with the explanation, if I was a prospective customer I’d be out of there pretty quick.

All the best with the new biz!

Cheers,
    Victor

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up

I agree with the other guys. The logo is cool but the site is a bit bland for a creative company.

The copy is not very punchy and a bit wishy washy, particularly on the About Us page.

I think it’s better to not have a portfolio page at all then to have one with only a web form on it. Even with the explanation, if I was a prospective customer I’d be out of there pretty quick.

Cheers,
    Victor

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Ok, I will now reply to some of your points..

I see the main “criticism” here is the site is a little bland compared to the logo. Well, I completely agree with that ;) But it’s something that will have to do for now and perhaps the site will get a facelift in the near future and become a little more “creative”. ;)

Quote:

I agree about the “little white guys”, and TBH I wasn’t 100% happy with my slide image for the web design bit and wanted to change it, but I chose to keep it for now in interest of opening the doors a few days earlier. But it should change to something better soon.

Quote:

Very good suggestion and one I will definitely implement. :)

Quote:

Good eye. I think that *may* have been something I put in at some early state to stretch the content area, but obviously forgot to decrease it. So thanks for the reminder.

Quote:

Yes, I’m very aware of this fact and it does worry me. The one example that is there now was both design AND development; obviously it isn’t a great design example, but it’s still design nothing-less.

I would love to get some more examples on there, but I can’t really put any example that my designer has done on there, because they weren’t developed for Condor and it would look like I was stealing design examples from other designers sites.

However, I should have a new site (whilst only being a 1-pager) being added to that page soon, which showcases a design aspect a little more.

Quote:

That is something I thought good and hard about, I even posted a thread here on FS about it and from the comments I got, I chose to leave a pic off, mainly because I don’t want Condor to be known as an individual, but as a team, as that is what I am going for in the future. Even now, I have one design sub-contractor on-board. :)

Quote:

Yes, I’m aware of this, but personally don’t see it as a big issue since the home page one is in a separate section.

Quote:

TBH this comment bothered me a bit. A form builder spits out a basic looking form with the elements you wanted, it doesn’t give your form a nice design and then give it the functionality that that form has.

Quote:

If you mean the “View All Service” button and the “quote” button at the bottom, yes, you are correct. Obviously I needed one at the bottom of that text to direct them somewhere after they were done reading, but the services one quite easily could be removed, but didn’t want them to think the above services was all we offered is all.

victorng, post: 113647 wrote:

Cheers,
    Victor

Yes, the copy is something that I plan to have redone in the future. I did it all myself; when I have the cash to redo it, I will.

Not sure I would agree with not having a portfolio page at all, which design firm doesn’t have a folio? I know it’s going to be extra hard to get work without a lot of examples in there, but that’s why I’m going to have to do specials or some such to get more portfolio pieces.

Oh and just to give credit where credit is due, I forgot to say my new designer was also responsible for the “process bar” image on the “our process” page.

Thanks everyone for all your comments once again!

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Ok, I will now reply to some of your points..

I see the main “criticism” here is the site is a little bland compared to the logo. Well, I completely agree with that ;) But it’s something that will have to do for now and perhaps the site will get a facelift in the near future and become a little more “creative”. ;)

Quote:

I agree about the “little white guys”, and TBH I wasn’t 100% happy with my slide image for the web design bit and wanted to change it, but I chose to keep it for now in interest of opening the doors a few days earlier. But it should change to something better soon.

Quote:

Very good suggestion and one I will definitely implement. :)

Quote:

Good eye. I think that *may* have been something I put in at some early state to stretch the content area, but obviously forgot to decrease it. So thanks for the reminder.

Quote:

Yes, I’m very aware of this fact and it does worry me. The one example that is there now was both design AND development; obviously it isn’t a great design example, but it’s still design nothing-less.

I would love to get some more examples on there, but I can’t really put any example that my designer has done on there, because they weren’t developed for Condor and it would look like I was stealing design examples from other designers sites.

However, I should have a new site (whilst only being a 1-pager) being added to that page soon, which showcases a design aspect a little more.

Quote:

That is something I thought good and hard about, I even posted a thread here on FS about it and from the comments I got, I chose to leave a pic off, mainly because I don’t want Condor to be known as an individual, but as a team, as that is what I am going for in the future. Even now, I have one design sub-contractor on-board. :)

Quote:

Yes, I’m aware of this, but personally don’t see it as a big issue since the home page one is in a separate section.

Quote:

TBH this comment bothered me a bit. A form builder spits out a basic looking form with the elements you wanted, it doesn’t give your form a nice design and then give it the functionality that that form has.

Quote:

If you mean the “View All Service” button and the “quote” button at the bottom, yes, you are correct. Obviously I needed one at the bottom of that text to direct them somewhere after they were done reading, but the services one quite easily could be removed, but didn’t want them to think the above services was all we offered is all.

victorng, post: 113647 wrote:

Cheers,
    Victor

Yes, the copy is something that I plan to have redone in the future. I did it all myself; when I have the cash to redo it, I will.

Not sure I would agree with not having a portfolio page at all, which design firm doesn’t have a folio? I know it’s going to be extra hard to get work without a lot of examples in there, but that’s why I’m going to have to do specials or some such to get more portfolio pieces.

Oh and just to give credit where credit is due, I forgot to say my new designer was also responsible for the “process bar” image on the “our process” page.

Thanks everyone for all your comments once again!

marketingweb
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 113645 wrote:

I’ve seen you around flying solo a bit and always loved your logo and business name. But given the above explanation of your business, i’m now not sure sure and I think you may have an image problem.

Firstly, the word “Creative” in the business name makes me think arty/design/visual/creativity etc. Of course coders can be creative, but that’s not the image it presents.

Secondly, your logo is made up of four colours, which are a variation of the standard CMYK – or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black, even though your yellow isn’t a process yellow. This to me says “print company” no matter what the logo looks like – as these four colours as you hopefully realise are known as the four process colours, which are used in offset (paper) printing to make up full colour images. Your white guy is splashing these same colours around. However CMYK are NOT used in web design as a concept – as colours on your screen (which are made up of light, not ink) are based on a mixture of RGB, or Red, Green and Blue.

So, before I even read your text on your website, just looking at your logo, colour scheme and images instantly tells me that you are a creative graphic designer who specialises in print. Which is not true at all, and thus you have an identity crisis unfortunately. If my guess of who you was were actually correct I would give you high marks for fantastic branding, but as it stands, it’s a big worry.

Now obviously many end users won’t get the CMYK colour connotation, but most will be confused by the word creative in your name if you are a developer.

Also, I think you need to have a good look and think about what you count as your work. To me, whoever is the client facing business, can put the work on their portfolio, even if done by a subcontractor. The subcontractor should not put the work on their portfolio without specific permission, as they are working for you, not for the client. You say that you didn’t put up photos because you want the business to be more than the individual – so then you need to also think about what the business has created, rather than individualising it back to what you have personally done.

Oh, and don’t ever make the mistake of putting your own logo / own website etc on your own portfolio – this screams “i don’t have any clients”. I agree with Victor, don’t include a portfolio until you have at least three design jobs to show. If you need to do freebies for a local charity, small business group, friend or anything to achieve this that is fine, but until you get to at least three full designs in your portfolio (not just forms, full jobs), you are doing yourself a disservice by even having a portfolio.

Sorry if the above sounds too harsh, but I am genuinely trying to help. Best of luck with your venture.

Matt

marketingweb
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 113645 wrote:

I’ve seen you around flying solo a bit and always loved your logo and business name. But given the above explanation of your business, i’m now not sure sure and I think you may have an image problem.

Firstly, the word “Creative” in the business name makes me think arty/design/visual/creativity etc. Of course coders can be creative, but that’s not the image it presents.

Secondly, your logo is made up of four colours, which are a variation of the standard CMYK – or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black, even though your yellow isn’t a process yellow. This to me says “print company” no matter what the logo looks like – as these four colours as you hopefully realise are known as the four process colours, which are used in offset (paper) printing to make up full colour images. Your white guy is splashing these same colours around. However CMYK are NOT used in web design as a concept – as colours on your screen (which are made up of light, not ink) are based on a mixture of RGB, or Red, Green and Blue.

So, before I even read your text on your website, just looking at your logo, colour scheme and images instantly tells me that you are a creative graphic designer who specialises in print. Which is not true at all, and thus you have an identity crisis unfortunately. If my guess of who you was were actually correct I would give you high marks for fantastic branding, but as it stands, it’s a big worry.

Now obviously many end users won’t get the CMYK colour connotation, but most will be confused by the word creative in your name if you are a developer.

Also, I think you need to have a good look and think about what you count as your work. To me, whoever is the client facing business, can put the work on their portfolio, even if done by a subcontractor. The subcontractor should not put the work on their portfolio without specific permission, as they are working for you, not for the client. You say that you didn’t put up photos because you want the business to be more than the individual – so then you need to also think about what the business has created, rather than individualising it back to what you have personally done.

Oh, and don’t ever make the mistake of putting your own logo / own website etc on your own portfolio – this screams “i don’t have any clients”. I agree with Victor, don’t include a portfolio until you have at least three design jobs to show. If you need to do freebies for a local charity, small business group, friend or anything to achieve this that is fine, but until you get to at least three full designs in your portfolio (not just forms, full jobs), you are doing yourself a disservice by even having a portfolio.

Sorry if the above sounds too harsh, but I am genuinely trying to help. Best of luck with your venture.

Matt

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Hi Matt,

Quote:

Firstly, I never had the logo designed nor the business name based around myself, as I said, Condor is more about the whole “team” and not just me. I may be a developer, but obviously Condor provide a lot more than just development and hence the name and logo. ;)

As for the printing and CMYK stuff, I think you may be overthinking things a bit here because you are yourself a designer and also have experience in the print industry. I think the average joe wouldn’t blink twice at this.

Quote:

I think you may have got things confused a little here with what I said. What I meant was I couldn’t put any prior work on the folio because they weren’t under the Condor name nor was the designer contracted to myself. ALL future work is under contract and will be put on the folio (NOT just work I am personally responsible for); my designer can put it in his portfolio with permission as long as he states it was done in conjunction with Condor.

Quote:

I will give that some more thought, but no, I wouldn’t put my own site on there haha

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Hi Matt,

Quote:

Firstly, I never had the logo designed nor the business name based around myself, as I said, Condor is more about the whole “team” and not just me. I may be a developer, but obviously Condor provide a lot more than just development and hence the name and logo. ;)

As for the printing and CMYK stuff, I think you may be overthinking things a bit here because you are yourself a designer and also have experience in the print industry. I think the average joe wouldn’t blink twice at this.

Quote:

I think you may have got things confused a little here with what I said. What I meant was I couldn’t put any prior work on the folio because they weren’t under the Condor name nor was the designer contracted to myself. ALL future work is under contract and will be put on the folio (NOT just work I am personally responsible for); my designer can put it in his portfolio with permission as long as he states it was done in conjunction with Condor.

Quote:

I will give that some more thought, but no, I wouldn’t put my own site on there haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.