Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Feedback on website look, feel & content

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DogCulture
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Evening!
    I was wondering if anyone had a spare moment to take a trip around my website http://www.dogculture.com.au
    We are an online pet store, with modern, stylish and practical pet accessories. Our products are ideal for active dogs and those that travel.
    I would love to hear your opinions about the layout, ease of movement and the content.
    I really appreciate ANY feedback that comes through!
    Thanks in advance.

impng
    Participant
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hello,
    I do have a few comments:
    * design wise, there is a lot of space below the copyright that is not being used,
    seem to be on all the other pages as well
    * website is easy to navigate
    *. you could put the travel mats for active dogs next to cool coats, keeping your
    dog cool
    Hope this helps

Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Hi DogCulture,

1. When you first open the site you are presented with HUGE pictures and then they disappear. I think they are from the slideshow but hard to tell as they just flash for a couple of seconds.
    2. Personally on the Home Page I don’t like the way the image disappears when you highlight the product picture. Surely you can have the text appear without the big orange box?
    3. As impng said there is a huge amount of free space which is loaded at the end of your page. Looking at your source code, from the loaded page, there is meant to be a “Cool Coat” Banner that is loaded.

4. In an SEO sense, and I’m no SEO person, you may want to have a look at the system settings to determine if you can have more meaningful names for your pages. Page links being displayed as index.php?controller=CMS?id CMS=12 wouldn’t be too helpful to you in the long run.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

CarlieHamilton
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

I agree with what everyone has said so far. I would add –

• I think the text lacks structure on your main page. If it was inside a white box, for instance, it would feel more connected to the rest of your page – like on your news pages.
    • Something is off with your dropdown menu in my browser – looks like a conflict between the size of an image and the width of the text? I attached an image to show what I was seeing.

Apart from that, the site is easy to navigate and the things I look for are there (shipping etc).

OneManBandVideo
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Love the colours!
    and aside of what others have added (specially the large space at the bottom which is a bit confusing) I’d suggest:
    – Reducing the black space in the nav bar to a size more appropriate to the font
    – Adding an “about us” page with a little about the bizz, I think it adds personality!
    But I’m not a web designer…

DogCulture
    Up

Thanks Brent for the feedback, would you mind telling me what browser you are using? And was it a PC or a ipad etc?
    There is a slideshow and in all browsers I have tested it works fine (including the Cool Coats slide) so the images don’t disappear straight away.
    Would be interested to find out!

Cheers
    Larissa

DogCulture
    Up
    OneManBandVideo, post: 160292 wrote:
    Love the colours!
    and aside of what others have added (specially the large space at the bottom which is a bit confusing) I’d suggest:
    – Reducing the black space in the nav bar to a size more appropriate to the font
    – Adding an “about us” page with a little about the bizz, I think it adds personality!
    But I’m not a web designer…

Thanks for the feedback – I welcome feedback from everyone so thanks!

Working on an ‘about us’ page so good to know it’s wanted ;)

Also working on the other fixes so good to know they have also been noticed.

Thanks again!

DogCulture
    Up
    CarlieHamilton, post: 160281 wrote:
    I agree with what everyone has said so far. I would add –

• I think the text lacks structure on your main page. If it was inside a white box, for instance, it would feel more connected to the rest of your page – like on your news pages.
    • Something is off with your dropdown menu in my browser – looks like a conflict between the size of an image and the width of the text? I attached an image to show what I was seeing.

Apart from that, the site is easy to navigate and the things I look for are there (shipping etc).

Thanks Carlie for the feedback, especially about the homepage text!

Brent@Ontrax
    Up

Hi Larissa,

I believe impng & OneManBandVideo got the same result at the footer area as well, but i’m using Windows 8 on a laptop and I viewed your website on Firefox 20.0.1, IE9 and IE10 and just to confuse you, via a Linux based CentOS 6.3 virtual machine using Firefox as well.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

DogCulture
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 160486 wrote:
    Hi Larissa,

I believe impng & OneManBandVideo got the same result at the footer area as well, but i’m using Windows 8 on a laptop and I viewed your website on Firefox 20.0.1, IE9 and IE10 and just to confuse you, via a Linux based CentOS 6.3 virtual machine using Firefox as well.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

Hi Brent,

I’m aware of the footer space issue but it’s the slideshow issue that you had that makes me concerned as you are the only one I have heard this from. Did the slideshow not work in all of the browsers/applications that you used?

Cheers
    Larissa

Brent@Ontrax
    Up

Hi Larissa,

Sorry, the slideshow issue, yes I do get the same result on all platforms. Open up your web browser, type in your website and watch the site carefully, all the slideslow images load on the browser, under the 1st image of the slideshow and then they disappear and the rest of the site appears. It doesn’t matter how many times I do it, I get the same result.

I’ve attached a screen shot of it for you, just before it all disappears and your normal correct site is loaded.

Brent

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Slide show issue is weird, I have no problems on a Mac … Safari, Chrome, Firefox, even gave Opera a run, they all displayed the page properly.

CarlieHamilton
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

It happens as your page loads – in might not be happening to you because the images are pre-loaded for you (or perhaps it does’n happen with a Mac, I can’t test that).
    The slower your website loads (for people who have a slower internet connection), the longer those images are going to be like that (they don’t pop into the slider until the slider is downloaded)
    Hope that helps.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    CarlieHamilton, post: 160587 wrote:
    It happens as your page loads – in might not be happening to you because the images are pre-loaded for you (or perhaps it does’n happen with a Mac, I can’t test that).
    The slower your website loads (for people who have a slower internet connection), the longer those images are going to be like that (they don’t pop into the slider until the slider is downloaded)
    Hope that helps.

I hadn’t visited the site before (pretty sure), and I clean browser cache daily, a couple of the browsers I used haven’t been used for weeks (only there for testing).

I’m using a mobile wireless telstra thingy ATM, speeds OK, but nothing special (I’m in the scrub – surprisingly it does work better than my blue tick phone though!?).

I have had similar issue setting up sliders, but I’m not getting what you guy’s are seeing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.