Home – New Forums Get productive Feeling awkward at networking events??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

Well I do – often feel like a sack of spuds !!

I came across this article (while looking for something else, but hey that’s fate!). I feel it has some good info.

Small talk techniques

Do you have a favoured small talk technique to add?

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

It can be hard. I used to try and “work the room” and honestly didn’t really have a clue what I was doing.

Then I purchased The FT Guide to Business Networking, which changed the way I network. It helped me understand what I needed to do, and how to stop selling when I spoke to people.

I also concentrate on getting to know 3 new people at each event – it makes it more manageable, you can have a proper talk without feeling you need to cut it short to move onto someone else and it helps build your referrer network better than chatting to hundreds of different people who can’t remember you.

http://www.bridiestypingservices.com/networking-made-easy-using-the-rule-of-3/

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

It can be hard. I used to try and “work the room” and honestly didn’t really have a clue what I was doing.

Then I purchased The FT Guide to Business Networking, which changed the way I network. It helped me understand what I needed to do, and how to stop selling when I spoke to people.

I also concentrate on getting to know 3 new people at each event – it makes it more manageable, you can have a proper talk without feeling you need to cut it short to move onto someone else and it helps build your referrer network better than chatting to hundreds of different people who can’t remember you.

http://www.bridiestypingservices.com/networking-made-easy-using-the-rule-of-3/

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

A friend/colleague of mine, Robyn Henderson, is dedicated to networking and was one of the first to promote it many years ago.

She has written a number of books that you can purchase direct from her and gives workshops. See http://www.networkingtowin.com.au/

Cheers,
    Karen C.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

A friend/colleague of mine, Robyn Henderson, is dedicated to networking and was one of the first to promote it many years ago.

She has written a number of books that you can purchase direct from her and gives workshops. See http://www.networkingtowin.com.au/

Cheers,
    Karen C.

sarahjoy
    • Total posts: 36
    Up
    King, post: 113035 wrote:

I came across this article (while looking for something else, but hey that’s fate!). I feel it has some good info.

Small talk techniques

That was a pretty good article – some solid tips in there!

I always love being at networking events once I get there, but I have to spend a while psyching myself up first! It takes a conscious effort to get out of my comfort zone and spend the time being fully there and making connections.

sarahjoy
    • Total posts: 36
    Up
    King, post: 113035 wrote:

Small talk techniques

That was a pretty good article – some solid tips in there!

I always love being at networking events once I get there, but I have to spend a while psyching myself up first! It takes a conscious effort to get out of my comfort zone and spend the time being fully there and making connections.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Nice article Matt, thanks for sharing it :)

You’re certainly not alone in feeling this way… you might also like to check out Peter’s Confessions of a networking wimp, and the comments that follow it.

(And I love the new avatar, by the way!)

Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Nice article Matt, thanks for sharing it :)

You’re certainly not alone in feeling this way… you might also like to check out Peter’s Confessions of a networking wimp, and the comments that follow it.

(And I love the new avatar, by the way!)

Jayne

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I have been running networking events for over a year now, and I think the article has some good points

Number one in my book is LISTEN and ASK QUESTIONS. If you go trying to sell, or to push a cheesy elevator pitch, you are doing it wrong. Networking is not about selling, it’s about (surprisingly enough) networking.

Also, don’t find somebody to talk to and then ignore the rest of the group however tempting it is. Try and get around and meet at least 3 people, then at the next one meet another three. Don’t scuttle around the room like a crab on speed, people do not like it when you talk at them while looking around for somebody else to talk to. Very rude.

When in doubt simply picture them in their underwear :)

We have an event on tomorrow night with over 80 ticketed punters coming along which is the most we have ever had, so I am looking forward to that.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I have been running networking events for over a year now, and I think the article has some good points

Number one in my book is LISTEN and ASK QUESTIONS. If you go trying to sell, or to push a cheesy elevator pitch, you are doing it wrong. Networking is not about selling, it’s about (surprisingly enough) networking.

Also, don’t find somebody to talk to and then ignore the rest of the group however tempting it is. Try and get around and meet at least 3 people, then at the next one meet another three. Don’t scuttle around the room like a crab on speed, people do not like it when you talk at them while looking around for somebody else to talk to. Very rude.

When in doubt simply picture them in their underwear :)

We have an event on tomorrow night with over 80 ticketed punters coming along which is the most we have ever had, so I am looking forward to that.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Looking forward to the event at the Honey Bar Matthew, and onya for organising it! :-)

While the networking success of people attending such gatherings depends largely on themselves, I also think that the organisers play a massive role in ensuring attendees feel comfortable and included in the proceedings.

As in any social situation, I guess the key is to relax and not put too much pressure on yourself by doing things like thinking that you HAVE to speak to as many people as you can, or that you MUST hand out your business card to all and sundry.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

Looking forward to the event at the Honey Bar Matthew, and onya for organising it! :-)

While the networking success of people attending such gatherings depends largely on themselves, I also think that the organisers play a massive role in ensuring attendees feel comfortable and included in the proceedings.

As in any social situation, I guess the key is to relax and not put too much pressure on yourself by doing things like thinking that you HAVE to speak to as many people as you can, or that you MUST hand out your business card to all and sundry.

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

act like the host, ask open ended and engaging questions, stop pushing business cards ( i haven’t had one since 2005), make the intent of just making connections and networking becomes a piece of cake.

When i do networking, my goal is to identify future JV partners. That’s it.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

act like the host, ask open ended and engaging questions, stop pushing business cards ( i haven’t had one since 2005), make the intent of just making connections and networking becomes a piece of cake.

When i do networking, my goal is to identify future JV partners. That’s it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.