Home Forums Starting your journey Feeling disheartened…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Jazzah
    • Total posts: 193

Ok, so we are still waiting for permits, the application has only just been allocated, so we are weeks away. We only have til the 1st May to withdraw from the lease.

In the interim, we have been starting the floor. It is a concrete floor, with lots of adhesive, nails and nail holes in it. Every option I look at is like over $10,000 unless we do it ourselves. Problem is that I can’t do it all and keep up with our sales as well. Today the phone has rang every 2 seconds, I haven’t been able to answer it. If I answered it I would not have gotten our orders out. So what do I do? I feel defeated.

We were looking at grinding the concrete, then applying a 2 pak, but it sounds more complex everything I talk to someone. Or should I just paint it with paving paint? would people really notice, how would you feel about having a party where the floor was painted?

Slowly dwindling fire here….

Jazzah

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604

painted floor wouldn’t bother me, as long as there were no nails :)

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556

get the colour right and it can look cool…assume you can jazz it up with some rugs/mats etc

SuzsSpace
    • Total posts: 692

Wouldn’t you want a floor with a bit of give that will wash easily? You’ve got kids there and there are bound to be accidents. I’m thinking of those interlocking mats my gym has.

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181

you can probably hire a “stellar” grinder or a “terrazzo” grinder from the larger hire companies, they use rubbing stones of varying weight, bit like a floor polisher to use, very messy but not rocket science, use a course stone to get the worst off, after use finer to get a better finish the only advantage the pro’s have is they use very expensive machines with diamond heads, quicker but just as messy.

They’re plenty of off the shelf fillers for bigger holes, even cornice adhesive (powdered, in a bag, just add water, it’s actually just old fashioned plaster of paris) white in colour but concrete compatible.

Most of the better sealers will just about fill small nail holes if you “flood” the sealer into them, might take a couple of coats ( you’ll probably need more than one coat anyway), good quality paving paint should do about the same.

Whatever you use the finish will only be as good as the preparation, if your prep is good the actual sealing or painting should be quick and easy.

Jazzah
    SuzsSpace, post: 68683 wrote:
    Wouldn’t you want a floor with a bit of give that will wash easily? You’ve got kids there and there are bound to be accidents. I’m thinking of those interlocking mats my gym has.

I don’t think this is such an issue, we are catering to primary school aged children, none of the games require lots of running around. There is a makeup room, that has a bench, mirror and ottomans for the kids to sit on. We will have a large rug in there. Then there is a disco with a dance floor. The eating area involves sitting, certainly no running, but to be safe we an make this a bit more non slip. The last area is a room that can change themes, the most adventurous fame would be statues!! There is no food or drinks in there are at all, so I think the chances are low about an injury.

It”s a bit different to a play centre with climbing equipment.

Thanks
    Jazzah

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815

Jazzah – have you also thought of a good lino or cork tile floor? For cork tiles you need to have a masonite type layer – which would cover the existing floor. Then put the cork tiles over. You can even purchase them coated already from either flooring suppliers or Bunnings or other hardware stores.
    Easy to clean as well if they are coated and makes the floor softer to walk on. (Good for your feet as well as theirs.)

FYI re your website – it would be a good idea to put the area code in front of your phone number and a suburb and state. No-one can tell where you are located, which is very important with parts of your business like the chair hire etc.

I’m sure it will all work out wonderfully.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464

Ah Jazzah, so much going on huh. You poor thing you must feel completely frazzled.

Maybe the time has come to consider outsourcing the phone calls to a VA as was mentioned on another thread. At least that way you can keep taking orders. The last thing you need at this point is for new customers to think you can’t help them. Even if you only got help for a few days it would give you some breathing space, I think.

Thinking of you and sending lots of positive energy your way,
    Jayne

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026

My neighbour runs a concrete polishing business. If you can afford it, it’s the way to go as you end up with the awesome service that never needs any kind of maintenance as there are no paints or vanishes involved. This also means you don’t have to wait for anything to dry.

And the machines have big dust extractors so the mess is actually quite minimal.

That said, I’m not sure how much it costs.

SuzsSpace

Yep, I understand. You sound like you need something much more easily cleaned. I like the cork floor. We have it at home and it cleans very easily, the downside is you may need to get it recoated every few years.

Jazzah

Thanks for your suggestions, I had a look at the cork floor. We have 260sqm!! so it was over $10,000! I think we are going for the grinded floor and a 2 pac finish. The coatings person said the floor had too much damage from the nails (ex carpet showroom) to consider highly polishing it.

I made a decision today that we were not going to paint the walls ourselves (the paint shop said it would probably be cheaper to get someone in to do it) and the quote was really reasonable. So off to scimp and save for a painter!

The leap from home to a store (albeit we are going to be a kids party venue as well!) seems so large and daunting sometimes.

I was wondering if someone could give some advice on something simple, but I can’t make up my mind! We are having a simple disco, with a dance floor. The walls need curtaining, I was thinking of a velvet curtain and we will hand sew some sparkly sequins etc onto it. But I am not sure which color, we have black, emerald green, velvet red, or blue. I want to steer away from a pink as we don’t want to put the little boys off!

Cheers
    Jazzah
    who today packed orders, posted, went to the shop 3 times, vacuumed 300sqm of concrete floor and is still going! Oh I also did school drop and pickup and fed the kids! not sure if I managed to breathe though lol

SuzsSpace

Oh Wow! I don’t know whether to be impressed with the amount you’ve done today or the cost of the cork.

At this point I think you’re rather overworked and possibly wouldn’t have the time to hand sew sequins on the curtains. Is it possible to spray on some glitter for the moment and upgrade that later on when you have more time? For a disco I’d be considering black or red.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464

Hi Jazzah,

I’m with Suz on the low-maintenance curtain idea! But I’m not sure about the colour scheme – they all sound a bit opulent, when my brain is veering towards garish nylon. If it were an electric blue I’d be heading in that direction, I think.

And I’m super-impressed with your fortitude.

Love your work!
    Jayne

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815

Congrats on getting so much done. Sorry I suggested cork – had no idea it was going to end up that much. Is the disco dance floor going to be a separate slightly raised area dance floor? For dancing you really need a floor with some movement – dancing on concrete can cause injuries.

Re curtains – I think dark blue rather than black would be great with stars as it would appear like the night sky. I love the curtain effect.

You could also put those twinkly stars on the ceiling as well if it’s all in dark blue.

Hope you put some photos up when finished.

Cheers.

Jazzah

Hi Karen,

We are fortunate that a friend has a proper dance floor! We haven’t figured out if it will go on the concrete or carpet, that room is the only one that currently has carpet in it. We will have to wait til we see it.

My daughter had her party at a competitors, they had that black vinyl that has the raised bumps on it for a dance floor, which I was surprised about! They had carpet surrounding it.

I spoke to the council today, they were looking at the application as I rang and said they would write today regarding it. I asked if I should expect to pay advertising fees this week, they said they hadn’t figured out if the application had triggered anything yet! So either they are trained at no giving you any information that is useful, or could it be we don’t have to advertise? could we get a permit straight away? I think pigs may fly if that happens. So now I am nervous til I receive this letter, probably on Monday.

Cheers
    Jazzah

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.