Home – New Forums Starting your journey Feeling down – how common actually is it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    DANKS
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    ::

Was chatting with a long time friend of mine who has been in business for 6 months now, and he asked me if i ever went through a phase of feeling defeated and just down in general.
    Answer to that was yes.. a number of times and im sure ill feel the same many more times in the future.

How common actually is this feeling when running your own business?

Steve_v1.0
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    DAN_KOL, post: 165635 wrote:
    How common actually is this feeling when running your own business?

I would go out on a limb here and say if any business owner does NOT have ups and downs, he/she is not doing it right :). Some days nothing would go wrong and just when you thought nothing COULD go wrong, something (or someone) has other plans. After 30 years in business I feel like my life was a roller coaster. (and) I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

DANKS
    Up

Great to hear from somebody who’s been in business for so long.

whets the secret to picking yourself up again?

i know with myself, i just picture myself walking against a strong current, you just have to plough through…

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I agree with Steve, it’s a normal feeling. At least, it better be because there’s no way I’m willing to admit I’m strange ;)

I’ve run a couple of different businesses and while the things that can make you feel down are different for each industry and business, the feeling is the same. Sometimes you feel like you’re up against it when everyone else is seeing massive successes but you forget that they all had to start somewhere as well. Maybe it’s just me but I tend to focus on the negatives and ignore the positives at times which gives me a skewed view of what’s actually happening.

Whenever something bad happens I walk away for a while and think about anything but the business.

Once the mind is clear I’ll go through whatever happened to identify whether I made any mistakes and start making changes if I have.

It works for me because:

1. It gives me time to clear my head so I’m not angry or annoyed
    2. With a clear head I can objectively identify the problems
    3. Fixing those problems makes me a feel a lot more confident about the future
    Steve_v1.0
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    DAN_KOL, post: 165637 wrote:
    Great to hear from somebody who’s been in business for so long.

whets the secret to picking yourself up again?

i know with myself, i just picture myself walking against a strong current, you just have to plough through…

For me it’s positive affirmations. Don’t know how it works….just does :)

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Very true Steve_v1.0, if anyone else say otherwise, their lying.

My secret is having a structured day, where I have a day for marketing, sales, operations, etc. So I can give 100% focus, energy, stamina, chi, etc per day, otherwise if your doing numbers and then you have to click into the creative side (marketing) then you will face uphill battles.

I don’t touch things unless I’m going to work on it, because as soon as you start touching different tasks, you’ll end up doing everything at once.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Some fine suggestions and remedies here.

For me, it’s important to check back in with my vision – where I picture things heading (and my plan to get there); reach out and connect with other likeminded souls (either online or via a coffee catch up) AND taking myself off for some exercise. It’s often the move away from your desk/work that really helps clear the mind.

As others have said, this issue impacts us all, but once we develop our solutions it makes each occurrence less destructive and we can recognise the signals earlier and take evasive action!

Robert

Melanie Miller Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

So common that I have made a career out of it! It is completely normal to have the “why am I doing this” moments (or days…weeks…).

I am on a six month cycle myself – every time it happens I go through the “what is the alternative” process. Working for someone else – no thanks, lower pay – no thanks, no flexibility – no thanks!

I recommend Seth Godins book – The Dip – to people who are feeling a bit down. I have read it at least three times!

I don’t think business coaches are suppose to admit to these things but if even the person who coaches others out of the blues gets them you know you are not alone!

Melanie
    http://www.agent99hq.com.au

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Ups and downs are a normal part of life, but if there are prolonged down periods, then they may need closer examination. It may be that your friend just wasn’t expecting the realities of running his own business and how hard the first 6 months, 12 months, even 2 years can be. Depending on his business, it can take quite a while before you start seeing much reward for your effort. 6 months is only very early for any business, so if things aren’t cranking – that’s not unusual for most new businesses. It takes time and effort to become established.

And the reality is, some people just aren’t cut out to run their own business. The responsibility, financial pressure (especially early on), the many different hats you have to wear, and the hours needed to make it a success can all add up to too much stress for some people. Honestly – it’s a lot to take on and can be quite overwhelming.

When I started out, I found it helpful to determine what areas I needed help with, and to also set achievable targets and deadlines in place. I told my husband (and myself) that I’d give it 18 months to see how things were going – then reassess whether I’d made the right decision. I took courses and sought advice where I could, and above all else, reminded myself why I got into this in the first place (which was to leave the office politics and micro-management behind me).

I guess for each of us, our experiences will vary, but being able to talk about it is always a great first step.

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

I think that you will find with many soloists, that this is all too common.

For many, they become so heavily involved in their business that it feels like an extension of themselves. At least this is what it feels like to me.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Yes, definitely.

And you’ve got to let the down times happen just as much as the up times. When you recognize the down times for what they are, know they’re temporary and to do what you need to to get through it they can be just as profitable and powerful as the up times.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Dan,

I reckon all business owners go through this. And has been said, 6 months is a very small time to be in business. We’ve been in business for 3 1/2 years (plus a bit) now – and still have days where it feels like this. So tell your friend not to give up yet – but to understand that it can take a while.

Kathy

DANKS
    Up

Im going through one of those days now.. New products coming in needing special APVMA registration. Turns out im up an extra 13K ( not including the initial 4K per product to get the permits in the first place) to send over an agent to inspect the manufacturing facility and off course they need to fly business class. Niceeeeee… and people wonder why products are half the price over seas compared to Australia.

Dont you just love getting shafted by government bodies.

Where did i leave that bottle of vodka???

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.