Home – New Forums Starting your journey Feeling Stuck

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kaycam
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I’d like to start my own online business to create passive income, but I have been feeling stuck.

I had written a book on how to discover your own authentic career, and I created the workshop material and workbook to go along with it to create a package. I had so much passion and juice in me at the time, that it took me three months to create the entire package (March to May 2008). The book itself will be published later this year.

At the end of May 2008, I started building a Web site and learning online marketing, and I spent the rest of the year learning online marketing and social media. And I now know all of this by heart – I know all the rules, how to attract clients, etc.

But now I realize that I find it hard to write a blog as a way to promote my workshop. I don’t even wish to create a podcast. After writing the book, creating the online workshop material, and creating a workbook, I have nothing more to say. I have thought of taking some of the tips from my workshop and book and creating blog posts from them, but I find that I am not motivated to do so.

The truth is that, I wrote the book as closure on that part of my life when I worked in the corporate world and hated it, not knowing what other kind of career would fulfill and satisfy me. When I discovered the answer last year, I decided that I would share my story to help others in a similar situation. But I also don’t want to do this for ever and ever.

I find that I am more motivated to create and produce projects when I am part of a group; for example, I have been involved with several associations over the years, and I had lots of energy and drive to create solutions and make everyone happy, though I was never getting paid for it. I also taught ESL online last year, and I was not paid well but I had the drive and energy to build a Web site and produce an online newsletter for my students — things that I should have been doing for my own business!

I find that now that I am on my own, not involved with any associations and now working from home, I just don’t know what to do. It’s as if I need to be part of a group to discover a problem and provide a solution. I also realized yesterday that I would much rather write books than blogs; it’s easier for me to write a book than several blog posts.

I hate to think that I am better off working for someone than on my own. I somehow need flexibility and independence in my life.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Have you any insights? Please share. Thanks for your support.

KoB
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Hi Kaycam,
    I hope you’re getting some PMs on this and since I don’t see any responses on this forum, I thought I’d put in a few words(ok ok maybe it’s more than a few).

Getting stuck is more common than realised but it is less apparent for some as they’re too busy with their jobs or have to carry on due to commitments. And the question inevitably presents itself “What will I do if I don’t do this?” It seems too much hard work until their jobs get the better of them or when they get pushed out (eg retrenchment).

From reading the forum here, some of the suggestion are do what you feel passionate about, what you enjoy. Plan, plan, plan and then jump in. Will consulting a business/career coach be useful? It sounds like you really enjoy working in a group and helping people – maybe that’s your starting point?

I may not be in the position to comment as I’m probably as stuck as you are. Like yourself, I would hate to have to go back to the corporate world and as for working for someone else, most contractors/soloists are working for someone. They’re called clients instead, with some freedom to choose them (the clients), your own hours, some paperwork (eg issue invoices) and the sense that you reap the rewards from your hardwork etc.

Being stuck is frustrating but it’s a good opportunity to take some time to think about your next move and take stock before deciding whether to turn left, right or go straight in this intersection.

kaycam
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks, KoB, for your reply. I have taken this week off, emotionally, from my ruminations. Taking a break may help. When I make a breakthrough, I’ll be sure to let the forum know. Thanks, K.

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up

I think that most of us have probably gone through something similar at some stage, in one form or another. We question whether this is the right path for us to take and we do this while staring up at that huge mountain in front of us thinking ‘how am I ever going to make it over that!’

Please don’t be disheartened, and yes, after doing all that work you are probably in real need of a break right now. If it were me I would probably steer myself away from the tv, or reading a book. I would try and get away, spend some time pondering and really thinking about stuff. Maybe head down to the beach, or somewhere that you consider to be a quiet and relaxing place, slow the brain down and let it come to you… spend a bit of time reviewing those long term goals, but even more importantly think up some smaller goal that you can achieve quickly – this will make yourself feel that you are really an achiever and you are heading somewhere.

Oh, and on the topic of blogging – a couple of friends I know do all their blogging for the week, then they split it into segments and then schedule the posts to go up on various days in the week. You might be better suited to this, you could maybe look at it like you are writing a chapter of a book and then use it for your posts instead. It doesn’t have to necessarily be posts promoting your book, or your workshop. If you are focused on a similar topic to your book, then you could promote your book, or workshop within the posts and you will attract customers that way.

Other ideas:

1. Pay someone to write short articles for you or blog for you.
    2. Pay someone to promote your blog and build your email marketing list.
    3. Take excerpts from your book (some of the best bits) and put them on your blog.
    4. Think up a topic and then find some information on the net (be aware of copyright when doing this).
    5. It sounds like you are a bit stuck ‘selling yourself’ so you could maybe provide free copies of some of your materials to a number of readers, friends etc in return for them providing a testimonial to you. Maybe put their testimonials as blog posts. The best testimonials are those that link to another professional website.

I don’t know… just a few thoughts and ideas to throw around.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up
    kaycam, post: 6396 wrote:
    I find that I am more motivated to create and produce projects when I am part of a group; for example, I have been involved with several associations over the years, and I had lots of energy and drive to create solutions and make everyone happy, though I was never getting paid for it. I also taught ESL online last year, and I was not paid well but I had the drive and energy to build a Web site and produce an online newsletter for my students — things that I should have been doing for my own business!

I find that now that I am on my own, not involved with any associations and now working from home, I just don’t know what to do. It’s as if I need to be part of a group to discover a problem and provide a solution. …….

I hate to think that I am better off working for someone than on my own. I somehow need flexibility and independence in my life.

The sections I have quoted stand out to me. It is here you have stated what you really want to do even if you haven’t realised it yet. It sounds like you need to be a Project Manager. You need other peoples problems to give you focus. And if that involves some sort of training for those who you are doing the project for then all the better.

I can relate somewhat to how you feel. I recently got put off from my previous job and found myself joining the unemployment statistics. After searching for a job for a few weeks and having no success at all I decided it was time to go it alone. So I set about starting up my own bookkeeping business. I gave myself every chance of finding work by getting my name about with all the contacts I could think of. As it would turn out one said he had a big client who needed a lot of process improvement and accounting work done. So I am now doing 4 days a week on this project starting from the bottom with the raw transaction and looking at all the processes that are involved in every accounting transaction they put through and then preparing a set of accounts.

What this has done is bring to my attention that this is specifically the type of work I really enjoy. I love what I am doing at the moment. Yes, I like doing bookkeeping but this project is exactly what really drives me. I have never looked forward to going to work as I am right now. And I am good at it. I am getting great feedback from the client and it looks like I will be doing work for their other companies when this project finishes.

It sounds like you need the same sort of environment to really drive you. I’d suggest looking at project management that incorporates the areas that you enjoy working in. Find this type of work and your passion will return. You’ll find it easier to work on your business because your enthusiasm for your paid work will flow through.

KoB
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

I caught the repeat of this episode of Insight from SBS re people who were retrenched, changed career or direction etc. It’s interesting to see different viewpoints.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/index/id/62#watchonline

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    KoB, post: 6499 wrote:
    I caught the repeat of this episode of Insight from SBS re people who were retrenched, changed career or direction etc. It’s interesting to see different viewpoints.

Very interesting, thank you for posting the web link to this.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Hi KeyCam,

I noticed that the first post was only your second post here, I think interacting within this forum is supportive, I would also suggest a regular business event, like your local chamber of commerce.

I go with no plans of drumming up business, more to share and hear what others are up to….(I have gained work from it, but relish the friendship & support more than the moola)

Maybe activities like this would keep you ‘active’.

Otheres have made some really good comments.

You could always put it in a drawer and not look at it for a few months.

But I like the idea of outsourcing the blogging to a VA ~ you have already put the content together, and when you feel like coming back to it, I am sure you will with gusto.

Like flying solo, you could always look around for guest bloggers, available world wide, to assist in building up your community and interest in the upcoming book!

RPL
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    I’d like to start my own online business to create passive income, but I have been feeling stuck.

I have written a book
    I created the workshop material and workbook
    The book will be published later this year.
    I built a Web site.
    I learnt online marketing and social media.
    I know all the rules, how to attract clients, etc.
    I also taught ESL online last year.
    I produced an online newsletter for my students

Hi kaycam,

That’s a fairly impressive set of achievements over the last year or so! I think that’s amazing. You have been very busy, and when those creative juices are flowing, and inspired solutions come so easily, it is such a buzz.
    The downside can be just that – a real downer. The book has been all but birthed, and now there’s a massive letdown. You have closure on that time, but are now in a motivational black hole….

It is important to keep writing about the experiences you are currently feeling. You write well. That topic would also make for interesting reading.

If you find it easy to write books, then do that! If your story is completed for now, then there are a million great people stories out there – perhaps help someone tell their story with your words….online biographies…bigger than blog memoirs…you will find your brand of copy to create. If it is projects and people that inspire you, then associations, small businesses and companies also need their story told, and those project management skills will come in handy for this.

Then there is also the nitty gritty business plan to create – that will take some time, and will really clarify how you are going to do, what you want to do, and how you are going to incorporate this into an online business. Sometimes it is simply a matter of looking at what you do best from another angle.

Perhaps an hour with a business coach to identify focus…
    maybe Lisa Murray – Small Business Coach – REVIVE Business Coaching ;
    she looks to be a sharp cookie !! : )) getting unstuck is her specialty…

hope that helps a bit, and gives you a little boost,
    cheers, Richard

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Oh Richard, thanks for the kind words!!

Hi Kaycam…
    I have actually been through a very similiar situation personally, so can really relate! Interestingly that is how I got to become a business coach – I realised that what I was naturally doing for lots of people for free (because it was easy for me and would just evolve in conversation…), could actually be a great business for me! But that was after I tried a few other things first that made me feel less motivated!!

I’m happy to have an informal chat with you about where you are at – just give me a call on 0404 063 513 during business hours… I offer prospective clients a free session so am happy to see if I can help you get some focus and joy in your life and business!

Also, it is not unusual to ‘come down’ off a high when you have been highly self-motivated and achieving heaps! I like to think of the lull as the (well-deserved) rest before the next big block of activity rather than beating myself up for not feeling like working… for me the downtime is what actually enables me to create amazing things in my life and business…

cheers
    Lisa

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Kaycam

First of all, it’s amazing what you’ve accomplished and I think you need to take the time to acknowledge and celebrate that.

You also sound like a lot of your life-force was used in the creation process (as is normal) so now you need to give yourself some time to replenish it. When you’re recharged, you’ll find the motivation will return.

I’ve helped a number of self-published authors get their books published so I’m interested in whether you self-published or found a ‘home’ with a traditional publisher so maybe I can interview you sometime.

You might also wish to check out an author, Jo Parfitt, I help promote via my eBook range: http://www.risingstardesigns.com.au/make-some-money/virtual-profit-sharing. She’s created a livelihood in the area of following your passion so you might find some inspiration by seeing what she’s done.

OK, I’ll close for now, but I hope you’ll keep us posted.

Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

Hi Kaycam

I am somewhat amazed that you have done all all you say yet haven’t a web site to show us.

I see two possibilities:

1. You are afraid of putting yourself in the public in case no-one likes you or even shows up. Only one way to find that one out and that is to put your stuff on display. Remember to let people know it is there.

3. You have done none of the above in reality and have nothing to show.

Maybe take some others on board as part of a team for encouragement, criticism and sounding-board to keep you motoring.

:)

joanw
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Kaycam
    Yes … feeling stuck is a common issue for many soloists, and I’ve definitely been there too!

Seems like you’ve had some great feedback and ideas in these posts.
    Love to hear what you’ve decided to do to move forward… Even making the decision to change your intention/focus is a great first step.

I would also highly recommend hiring a coach – your scenario is why coaches have clients!

All the best

Sandy
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi there, Have you ever thought of tlaking to a life coach to see if you can find some direction or get some direction on where it is you want to be in your life. It is not at all painful can really help you to make the changes you so desire. Yoou can even have coaching in the comfort of your own home.

You are not alone
    Regards Sandy

I had written a book on how to discover your own authentic career, and I created the workshop material and workbook to go along with it to create a package. I had so much passion and juice in me at the time, that it took me three months to create the entire package (March to May 2008). The book itself will be published later this year.

At the end of May 2008, I started building a Web site and learning online marketing, and I spent the rest of the year learning online marketing and social media. And I now know all of this by heart – I know all the rules, how to attract clients, etc.

But now I realize that I find it hard to write a blog as a way to promote my workshop. I don’t even wish to create a podcast. After writing the book, creating the online workshop material, and creating a workbook, I have nothing more to say. I have thought of taking some of the tips from my workshop and book and creating blog posts from them, but I find that I am not motivated to do so.

The truth is that, I wrote the book as closure on that part of my life when I worked in the corporate world and hated it, not knowing what other kind of career would fulfill and satisfy me. When I discovered the answer last year, I decided that I would share my story to help others in a similar situation. But I also don’t want to do this for ever and ever.

I find that now that I am on my own, not involved with any associations and now working from home, I just don’t know what to do. It’s as if I need to be part of a group to discover a problem and provide a solution. I also realized yesterday that I would much rather write books than blogs; it’s easier for me to write a book than several blog posts.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Have you any insights? Please share. Thanks for your support.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.