Home – New Forums Logistics Find Resellers for Your Products Here in Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    shags38
    Participant
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Hi – my name is Mike and I have been popping in and out for a few years now. and have seen many posts about small business startups many of which are online businesses and I think I can help many small business people who visit this forum.

No, there is no money involved – just free ideas that I feel will work a treat to increase just about anyone’s online retail business with little effort and essentially no cost.

My Background: I am an Internet Marketing Entrepreneur – I have 38 live websites at present, 3 of which are eCommerce sites and one of which is a dot com, with more sites going up soon. I am not a professional web developer or SEO expert, my background is many years in Sales & Marketing, domestically and Globally.

The idea is simple enough and not rocket science. It is about recruiting Resellers of your products Right Here where enterprising entrepreneurs gather to discuss ideas and learn how to improve their business, essentially by getting more sales.

EXAMPLE: This example uses Jewellery as a product but as you read this please substitute the word jewellery with whatever products you sell or would like to sell.

I have a successful Jewellery site (3 actually) and my wife and I import jewellery from various parts of the world and our business is quite successful. Having said that we have found over the last 3 years or so that it is impossible to have stock of every type of jewellery out there. (substitute with widgets, clothes styles, music genres, …. whatever)

Many businesses have the same problem – lack of resources (time, money, human resources etc) to be able to sell ‘everything’ they would like to offer to their customers. Getting traffic to a website is probably the hardest part of an onsite business and that is why the SEO and Website Builders / developers are in forums like this continually – fishing for business – good luck to them mind you, it shows initiative and enterprise.

So when you do get customers into your store it makes sense to be able to offer them ‘everything’ that you believe the type of customer that visits your site would consider purchasing. So your site covers a ‘niche’ which is great however the type of person that would visit your site looking for that niche would likely be a potential purchaser for other ‘like products’. Why have them leave your store after buying some nice perfumed soap to look after their skin that you make or have a unique supplier of to go to another site to then but some perfumed moisturising cream ?? (just an analogy – maybe a poor one but the principal is there).

So where do you get this ‘suitable’ moisturising cream product and how do you pay for the stock etc etc.

We have all heard of Affiliates – the word affiliates has stuck in online business whereby in brick and mortar business the term is ‘Reseller’ = SAME THING.

There is probably someone in here who has a moisturizing cream product that would really compliment your perfumed soap and give you the chance to increase the dollar value of sales for each visitor who purchases. So why not become an affiliate (reseller) for that person? There are probably some concerns that may spring to mind but I would suggest most are protectionist rather than anything else – ‘will they buy the moisturiser when they visit the site and not my soap which is my proprietary product?’ … maybe, maybe not but if a customer did were they actually going to buy your soap anyway?

In my example – we have some great jewellery in a specific niche that could be a terrific complimentary line to someone who sells jewellery but can not / does not offer our niche product to their visitors. We on the other hand are now on the lookout for certain lines of jewellery to add to our site that we currently do not have.

IT IS CALLED MAKING THEN TAKING OPPORTUNITIES.

In my opinion the moderators / managers of this forum may have a problem with this, which if they did it would be a shame. Having a forum section in here for ‘Reseller Opportunities’ or some other appropriate heading would be of a HUGE BENEFIT to the enterprising small business people that are a part of this “Community”.

There is a lot more to this than I have written in what is already a very long post – but it is not rocket science – just some good business commonsense.

I look forward to everyones’ comments and no doubt those of the moderators’.

cheers,
    Mike

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I think your idea of resellers has merit.

Steve

shags38
    Participant
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 128878 wrote:
    I think your idea of resellers has merit.

Steve

Thanks for the supportive comment Steve. I think it makes sense in the growing sphere of online business where there are more competitors in a field than ever there was before the net …. and the number of people setting up small businesses online is growing at an enormous rate. That means more search results for the same number of searchers to choose from.

Every ‘hit’ becomes more precious in such a climate and then getting conversions becomes critically important and maximizing sales volume per conversion is business commonsense. ‘would you like some fries with that’ – works more often than not. It is not rocket science but it is amazing how many moan and groan about how tough business is getting. Times are no tougher than they were a year ago or may be in 5 years time.

The key to growing your online business in these supposed tough times is to keep kicking over rocks. It is amazing what you can find under a rock sometimes. No-one in this day and age can do it by themselves, not as a serious business, and that is validated by the continual mergers and takeovers by major companies that see the sense in ‘obtaining a useful tool’ rather than try to make their own tool, something which is a strategy that has now fallen by the way. Small business needs to learn from successful big business.

No doubt there are some other Telecommunication products that some of your site visitors would have an interest in as well as the core product that you are marketing.

cheers,
    Mike

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

1/2 of my business model revolves around resellers.

At least 25 members here on FS resell my own products regularly and it is a win-win-win.

The only issue for me is that I can not use their testimonials because their own clients might find out :-( Nae bother, everyone’s happy.

T4n
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Mike,

I think your idea is really excellent.
    I just launched a home-baking cake business specializing in gluten-free and/or dairy -free cakes and less sweets (Japanese taste) cakes, based in Hurstville, NSW this month, August 2012.

A little introduction about my business:

” I cater coeliac friends who are craving for super yummy dietary cakes, such as gluten-free and/or dairy-free, and for those who love desserts but can’t have too sweet/too much sugar, less sweet cakes (Japanese taste) cakes.
    Cakes are wonderful as they taste as delicious as normal cakes and they are hand-made, so if you are looking for something different and “super special” then this is perfect for you!
    Proud to serve the needs of people who go for dietary foods.
    Best wishes,

Tan “

As we know, “just-born baby” business needs a lot of marketing and not to mentioned people around me asking me if I do non-dietary cakes as well when my marketing touched them.
    So in that way, I think I haven’t reach and hit my target market yet, reseller would be a really fantastic idea.
    Please give me more info details about how to make this plan work.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Tan

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Have you got a website for your gluten free cakes? Do you do cakes for other food challenges? Please PM me with details so I can pass them onto friends for them to try.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

I think it’s a great idea. I never really thought about it.

Thanks Mike!

Regards,
    Mel

T4n
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi, Suz..
    Sure.., my pleasure..:)

Thanks…
    Best regards,

Tan
    Sweets Paradise
    Baking Special Cakes
    http://www.facebook.com/sweets.paradise.9

SuzsSpace, post: 129798 wrote:
    Have you got a website for your gluten free cakes? Do you do cakes for other food challenges? Please PM me with details so I can pass them onto friends for them to try.
    5holiday
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Did anything eventuate here? :) I’m looking forward to seeing the results

5holiday
    Up

while we’re at it, has anyone got a basic guide on finding + organising + establishing resellers?

there are academic textbooks but the technical know how doesn’t always bridge the gap into how it is used in reality.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

The concept is sound and works wonders if the following objections are addresed:

1. why should i trust you?

2. why should i believe your product or service is great?

3. what about your post purchase follow up and guarantees from my customers? How will i know you will deliver?

4. who owns the customer after they purchase your product?

5. considering they are my customers to begin with, who will be handling disputes?

6. how do i know you don’t practise discrimination of customers from other affiliates who create alot more sales than i do?

7. when will i get paid? What if your payment processor freezes your account?

8. i don’t want you to promote to my customers because they might get upset with me and think i’m promoting spam.

9. do i get paid for one sale or do i get a trailing commission if my customers buy other products from you? What about commisison from upsells and One time offers immediately after the first sale?

10. If i only get commission from the first transaction, i want it to be 100% because it costs a lot to turn leads into paying customers and once you have their contact details, you will be selling them again and again and i won’t be getting any further commission.

11. I want your product to be branded as mine (think aldi, home brand, etc). do you accept?

So it really comes down to service level agreements, type and amount of compensation and most importantly, customer ownership.

There are so many products available to resell but how many vendors look after the reseller’s customer base as well as the reseller? very few.

Once these objections and concerns are diffused, a vendor will have no shortage of resellers.

Scrooge, post: 138470 wrote:
    Interesting thread. I have actually thought often with all the people on here, many in startup why more people do not

1. Actively cross promote product
    2. Seek resellers of their products
    3. Network to promote business

5holiday
    Up

yes I think Scrooge is right – it shouldn’t be a difficult concept.

From what I understand, Scrooge is suggesting that someone go ahead and create a dedicated resource that is an additional channel for resellers and suppliers.

Perhaps it is similar to alibaba? But on a smaller scale of goods (or bigger, I could be wrong), based in Australia, and focused less about Chinese/foreign production and more on sourcing resellers?

Scrooge, I hope you go ahead with this :).

The specifics of the reseller contract can be negotiated between the buyers, the channel itself isn’t responsible for that.

Scrooge, post: 138502 wrote:
    I think you are way overcomplicating it.

How I meant was simple wholesale channels for people with existing product.

For example anyone with beauty, home wares, aromatherapy, could approach me and ask if we would be willing to stock their product.

For the person it is a simple wholesale sale into a high traffic network gaining exposure for their brand.

Obviously there are several questions I would be asking but for them it is a no brainer opportunity, if they were to be accepted.

Simple!

Rico
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

There are 3 ways to do this:

1) the supplier keeps the ownership of the product until the final customer pays for it (like eBay), and the platform gets a fixed commission.
    2) the supplier sells the products to the platform owner, and the platform owner will store the products and sell them to the final user (like any normal distributor – retailer -final user transaction)
    3) the supplier sells into different platforms under different names, and each platform owner will get a commission (like a dropshipping service)

Or maybe you have a totally new idea, and I just did not get it…

Rico

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I’m open to the idea.
    An up front commission on a sale.
    PM or phone me if your interested.

Steve

JaxiB
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Me too. I am happy to pay either an upfront commission or an ongoing monthly trail. PM me if you are interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.