Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Finding a good affiliate program

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

I want to find a good reputable affiliate program to use.

I had an affiliate program created for me but late last year had scammers using it to process stolen credit cards. I was sending out the product not aware that the cards were stolen until about 3 weeks later someone contacted me to say they hadn’t ordered the book I sent to them. Then I started to get more contacts and eventually chargebacks. All within the space of a week. I was devastated.

Obviously the system didn’t have any safeguards so now I’m looking to change to something else that might help protect the sale of my items from this type of activity. I really can’t afford to be losing product, monies in postage packs and postage, and chargeback fees to the bank.

Do you use an affiliate program and if so, which one and why? And I really would prefer to hear from those who do use affiliate programs rather than those speculating as to what I should use.

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

An affiliate program is the software that tracks your affiliates (partners) and the web traffic they send to your website paying them commissions accordingly

So I’m not sure what the fraudulent sales have to do with your affiliate program?

There can be fraudulent buyers from any source of traffic, via your affiliate websites or google or anywhere

But if your still worried try using the clickbank.com affiliate network to manage your affiliate program as your types of products are information based I can see from your site.

You can sign up to more than one affiliate network too, you don’t have to use the one, they can all help you drive traffic and sales, some Australian ones:

http://www.commissionmonster.com.au/
    http://clixgalore.com.au/
    http://www.dgm-au.com/ (mostly financial products and services)

I think Amazon even has an affiliate program

Changing your affiliate program will not stop fake orders however, some general ways to spot fakes orders:

– Larger than normal order size
    – Order multiples of the same item
    – Overseas orders (depends on your product/service too I guess)
    – Billing or Shipping name doesn’t match the credit card name
    – weird looking email addresses
    – fake phone numbers (you won’t know until you try to call)

I have a lot of experience spotting fraud orders running a online shop. If we’re not sure we just email or call and ask them to send some ID and usually this weeds out the frauds because either the phone number doesn’t work or they don’t reply. Although I have had one fraudulent guy email in a passport ID that I think was stolen also, because I was still suspicious being an order from Africa (that most of the time is fraud). Turns out my gut was right and he never asked about his order again, a real customer would be chasing us up for their items.

There’s no 100% way to know but you can spot %99 of them.

If you’re sure it’s a fraud order just refund the money via your credit card gateway this way you avoid the charge back fee and bad history with your merchant account provider, they will get rid of you if you keep having fraudulent orders coming through as it costs them money too

let me know if you have any other questions!

tmerrill
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

relentless,

Thanks for the reply, even if I wasn’t the one who asked the question. I did not know that affiliate marketing came with fraudulent orders. It doesn’t seem that difficult to spot, though. I’m glad you mentioned it.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi relentless,

thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure what an affiliate program was as well.

Steve

SteveFoulds
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I use Clickbank for my Paleo Diet eBook affiliate program – never had a problem with it!

kathiemt
    Up

Thanks for the answer. The program I had set up didn’t have a process in place for checking the sites of those who were signing up. And being relatively new to having an affiliate program at the time it was set up (about 3 or 4 years ago) I wasn’t really thinking about how to monitor it.

The main culprit had a website where she was promoting my products and many others. All appeared above board. But she began processing many orders in a short period of time for several different products. As it was late in the year I thought perhaps someone was doing a promotion for Christmas or something. Once I worked out which affiliate it was generating all the sales (lots of small ones) I questioned her about what she was doing and she told me she was promoting on Facebook and other places. She was entering the real person’s name of the credit cards and had their postal addresses too so I had no reason to doubt they were real orders. It wasn’t until people contacted me to say they didn’t order what I sent them that I began to realise something was amiss. I certainly did do refunds as soon as I was aware which orders weren’t real (I had several real orders during that period of time too) but some people didn’t contact me direct and just went through their banks, hence the chargeback fees I was charged.

Many weeks later, and after involvement of the police in the US, (some orders went to Australia, another to Japan and several to the US) it was found that this lady was a pawn in a racket using stolen credit cards. She’d been given orders to process and was told the affiliate fee was her payment. Fortunately for me, the fees were being paid via Paypal so I sought a refund on the fee I’d paid her. I was called lots of nasty names via email and via Paypal’s refund system. She thought she had a real job and that I was trying to scam her. We were both victims as were the customers whose cards had been compromised. I lost product, paid out a lot in postage and only had one person return their book to me during this time. None of the other ‘customers’ returned the packages sent to them but did claim the charges back on their cards. It left a nasty taste in my mouth and I simply just pulled the affiliate program off my site and have lost many potential sales as a result.

Christmas isn’t that far away and I’d like to reset up an affiliate program and let all my genuine affiliates know they can continue to promote my products (books, a coaching course, web hosting, memberships to my network, etc) so I want to get into one that isn’t going to cost me hundreds to join (as it would take quite awhile to earn that back) but will give me some protection in the existing systems they have running rather than me using one that was created for my website. And I’m happy for it to be a non-Aussie one – doesn’t have to be local, but it does have to be sound and have been in existence for sometime with lots of happy customers.

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

wow that does sound like an elaborate scam. I can’t believe the lady actually thought she had a real job.

try clixgalore they are the cheapest and commissions paid out are standard. $90 once off fee to join and that’s it . They have have larger membership packages saying they will promote you more to their affiliates but I’ve found the good affiliate will find you anyway so it’s not really needed. You can also search for sites to partner with yourself and ask them to sign up to clixgalore to promote you.

http://www.clixgalore.com.au/promotions.aspx

They are Australian and International.

I would be suspicious of any affiliates who are sending a large amount of orders, you should check out how they are getting their traffic like you did.

kathiemt
    Up
    relentless, post: 127194 wrote:
    wow that does sound like an elaborate scam. I can’t believe the lady actually thought she had a real job.

try clixgalore they are the cheapest and commissions paid out are standard. $90 once off fee to join and that’s it . They have have larger membership packages saying they will promote you more to their affiliates but I’ve found the good affiliate will find you anyway so it’s not really needed. You can also search for sites to partner with yourself and ask them to sign up to clixgalore to promote you.

http://www.clixgalore.com.au/promotions.aspx

They are Australian and International.

I would be suspicious of any affiliates who are sending a large amount of orders, you should check out how they are getting their traffic like you did.

Yes, it was. She was Chinese living in an outer region in the US and the people who employed her was a large Chinese organisation. From what we heard she was just one of many engaged by them to use stolen credit cards for small purchases. If the payments went through ok they would then use the cards on bigger purchases. So, from the time I heard back from these people they had a window of 2-3 weeks to wreak havoc with the cards. It really did leave a bad taste and anxiety about having something suitable.

And I was suspicious of the sudden activity which is why I asked her. But I did see her site and believed her when she talked about the Facebook promotions and as it was leading up to Christmas wasn’t too alarmed. I even emailed some of the people who placed the orders and got responses back confirming the orders. Turned out every single order had a false email address too. It was a very elaborate scam. Phone numbers hadn’t been collected for the orders as the shopping cart I had designed for me didn’t collect that information.

I’ve also been looking at e-junkie. I had considered Clickbank but it looks massively more complicated these days to what it used to be and you have to wait for product approval and you have to put a disclaimer footer on your website used with their footer making tools.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.